Reserve & Youth Teams Thread

1 hour ago, DelMonte said:

Bavidge up to it then? 

Was shocking against Locos I thought. 

Always does well at U18s against similar aged lads and been doing well at Kelty by all accounts. Not sure if he's ready for first team. Tricky decision for club next season whether to loan him to a Championship club or to keep him here and build minutes off bench

55 minutes ago, DelMonte said:

Bavidge up to it then? 

Was shocking against Locos I thought. 

Kelty Hearts' highest scorer this season with 9 goals and 2 assists in 22 games.

In the top 10 highest scorers for that league

Highest shot accuracy and goal conversion rate in that top 10

If the BBC website is to be believed Kelty have swtiched between 4-3-3, 4-2-3-1, and 4-4-2 this season and he's been moved around, playing in all the potential forward and wide positions in those formations.

I thought he showed promise at the end of last season during the games he played for us at Pittodrie.

With the right coaching and opportunities next season I hope he can kick on and become a first team regular and goal scorer. 

Those like @RUL who watch the youngsters regularly will be able to tell you much more than I can.

6 hours ago, RabidGiraffe said:

Kelty Hearts' highest scorer this season with 9 goals and 2 assists in 22 games.

In the top 10 highest scorers for that league

Highest shot accuracy and goal conversion rate in that top 10

If the BBC website is to be believed Kelty have swtiched between 4-3-3, 4-2-3-1, and 4-4-2 this season and he's been moved around, playing in all the potential forward and wide positions in those formations.

I thought he showed promise at the end of last season during the games he played for us at Pittodrie.

With the right coaching and opportunities next season I hope he can kick on and become a first team regular and goal scorer. 

Those like @RUL who watch the youngsters regularly will be able to tell you much more than I can.

It’s really difficult to judge. Clearly at his own age he’s strong in Scotland. However I watched Scotland u19s v Italy u19s and he really struggled and has at other international games. The signs are that at the top level he’s not quite ready.

As you say he’s had a successful loan at Kelty and he’s now 18. Physically he’s strong and quick, the time is probably now for him to get some kind of run out. There’s no guarantee with any youngster that they can make it.

I used to speak to someone at club who watched every game when Scott wright was coming through. He was adamant he’d make it. Mind you he also said shankland was never a footballer. 

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, RUL said:

It’s really difficult to judge. Clearly at his own age he’s strong in Scotland. However I watched Scotland u19s v Italy u19s and he really struggled and has at other international games. The signs are that at the top level he’s not quite ready.

As you say he’s had a successful loan at Kelty and he’s now 18. Physically he’s strong and quick, the time is probably now for him to get some kind of run out. There’s no guarantee with any youngster that they can make it.

I used to speak to someone at club who watched every game when Scott wright was coming through. He was adamant he’d make it. Mind you he also said shankland was never a footballer. 

Do you reckon going on loan for another season at a higher level is a better bet? I can’t see him getting meaningful game time if he comes back to us for the season. 

28 minutes ago, Proud Dandy said:

Do you reckon going on loan for another season at a higher level is a better bet? I can’t see him getting meaningful game time if he comes back to us for the season. 

I think he will be in squad next season. Whether that transitions to meaningful game time will depend how he does.

Anyone know what Jimmy's take is on playing youngsters? Is that a key aspect of his approach?

I think it would be good to have Bavidge in the squad for at least half of next season - not sure whether we should keep him the first half and see how he gets on - if he does well keep him for second half as well, but if he's struggling for game time put him out on loan second half of season. Or maybe better to put him out for more experience in the first half and bring him back in after January to boost our options in the run in. 

13 minutes ago, sooth_stander said:

A vacancy has appeared today - Head of Academy Coaching - which is Stuart’s current role so can only assume he is now officially in Leavy’s old role

Would imagine so. Liam McGarry also following Levy to Swansea so will be another job going for Head of whatever he was for the 13 to 16 year old unless Hayes gets it as a job for the boys. Can't help but think we're top heavy with Heads of different parts of youth with also Aaron Scully as Head of Development 8 to 12 Yr old and think Duff also got a title

4 minutes ago, RDS said:

Would imagine so. Liam McGarry also following Levy to Swansea so will be another job going for Head of whatever he was for the 13 to 16 year old unless Hayes gets it as a job for the boys. Can't help but think we're top heavy with Heads of different parts of youth with also Aaron Scully as Head of Development 8 to 12 Yr old and think Duff also got a title

Seem to be doing very well in current set up. 

14 minutes ago, slippers said:

Seem to be doing very well in current set up. 

Very few have been breaking in to first team and thriving and those currently there not rated by most fans if you look at posts here for Barron, Duncan and Mackenzie so could say plenty room for improvement 

14 minutes ago, RDS said:

Very few have been breaking in to first team and thriving and those currently there not rated by most fans if you look at posts here for Barron, Duncan and Mackenzie so could say plenty room for improvement 

Could you not argue that's the same for a lot of teams, academy players struggling to break into the first team. Some also take longer to develop or their development isnt handled properly (look at Anderson and Shankland as cases for both)

Additonally losing top youth players isn't helping either

7 minutes ago, Granite95 said:

Could you not argue that's the same for a lot of teams, academy players struggling to break into the first team. Some also take longer to develop or their development isnt handled properly (look at Anderson and Shankland as cases for both)

We've only lost Lewis Pirie in last couple years who I'd say was a top player at youth level. Overall academy doing OK but think money spent on full time Heads of very small departments could be better spent on more coaching hours albeit some of the Heads do take teams

11 minutes ago, Granite95 said:

Most other clubs won't be spending what we are and I would say that right now it feels like the 'pathway' is broken, i don't agree with how the club go about things, only focusing on a couple of players, that's why we have such a huge turnover of youth players.

2 hours ago, minijc said:

That's very debateable 

I think the quality is starting to show through now. Hopefully we can get some quality in the first team before they are picked off. We are developing better youth prospects now. It’s just if we can get them from youth football to the first team. Hoping Bavidge and then Boyd are the start of the canvayor. But I guess your right. Need to see more making a different at first team level. 

4 minutes ago, slippers said:

I think the quality is starting to show through now. Hopefully we can get some quality in the first team before they are picked off. 

Again it's debatable, we are burning through so many players due to mismanagement throughout the club, I don't agree with sticking young boys to highland league or really bad sides in league 2, they learn very little and almost all of them end up released.

The club need to rethink their approach here as it feels like that side of the club has really stagnated in the last 2 years.

7 minutes ago, minijc said:

Again it's debateable, we are burning through so many players due to mismanagement throughout the club, I don't agree with sticking young boys to highland league or really bad sides in league 2, they learn very little and almost all of them end up released.

The club need to rethink their approach here as it feels like that side of the club has really stagnated in the last 2 years.

Re entering the reserve league would be a logical decision. 

The better youngsters could play in that team along with the fringe first team players.  Would also ensure they are available to the first team as/when required/merited. Our fringe players would be sharper too when called upon. 

Doesn't stop us loaning out two or three to good level clubs if they are likely to feature regularly there 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
42 minutes ago, minijc said:

Again it's debatable, we are burning through so many players due to mismanagement throughout the club, I don't agree with sticking young boys to highland league or really bad sides in league 2, they learn very little and almost all of them end up released.

Is that Simmy’s job to find & oversee loan moves for these guys? Or is he just a liaison between them & the club when they’re away? 

Tend to agree with the HL shout, teams struggling in league 2 not so much. Findlay Marshall getting lots of praise at Edinburgh City this season.

44 minutes ago, minijc said:

Case in point -hows Evan Towler getting on this season?  

1 hour ago, minijc said:

Maybe this strategic review undertaken by the German consultancy company will suggest a better approach?

1 hour ago, minijc said:

Loans Manager is a club legend but we seem stuck in a rut with where players go. Formartine is classic fallback as the manager is brother of our U18 coach Anderson 

59 minutes ago, pittodriepie83 said:

Is that Simmy’s job to find & oversee loan moves for these guys? Or is he just a liaison between them & the club when they’re away? 

Tend to agree with the HL shout, teams struggling in league 2 not so much. Findlay Marshall getting lots of praise at Edinburgh City this season.

It is Simmys job. Edinburgh City are League 1 strugglers

• Like 1
7 hours ago, minijc said:

Most other clubs won't be spending what we are and I would say that right now it feels like the 'pathway' is broken, i don't agree with how the club go about things, only focusing on a couple of players, that's why we have such a huge turnover of youth players.

Surely it's because only a few have half a chance though?

7 hours ago, minijc said:

I know the club made the decision on financial grounds ,not run a team in the reserve league. I would suggest running a reserve team and putting less players on loan to highland league teams etc would be in the best interests of the club and the young players.

11 minutes ago, Millertime said:

Surely it's because only a few have half a chance though?

Not really, I think it comes down more so to their approach, how they execute it then the talent available.

Plenty of well thought of kids have been let go over the last few years, not many getting a chance in the first team, it's not easy obviously but some of the players may thrive from getting meaningful game time as opposed to having none whatsoever then farmed out to a really shit standard.

11 minutes ago, minijc said:

Not really, I think it comes down more so to their approach, how they execute it then the talent available.

Plenty of well thought of kids have been let go over the last few years, not many getting a chance in the first team, it's not easy obviously but some of the players may thrive from getting meaningful game time as opposed to having none whatsoever then farmed out to a really shit standard.

I'd guess they know best

Who was ignored and went on to prove it was wrong to ignore them?

3 minutes ago, Millertime said:

I'd guess they know best

Who was ignored and went on to prove it was wrong to ignore them?

It's not about proving them wrong, that's the wrong way for fans to look at it as well.

Look at Lewis Carrol, he's decided to stay here right and that's great however without the proper pathway it could end up being a terrible decision by him, we may never know if he was any good or whatever as there appears to be a reluctance to give more youngsters a chance to show what they can do in the first team.

I'll also add that to help produce more young talent every age group should be playing the same way, there should be a very clear blueprint and ethos on how those teams play, maybe then they'll have a better chance of stepping up when a chance comes their way.

• Upvote 1