Aberdeen 0 - 1 Celtic - League Cup Final 2018

Lewis Ferguson was shite yesterday. Graeme Shinnie was shite yesterday, in fact, the only 3 players who were good enough to win us a cup final yesterday were Joe Lewis, Max Lowe and Conor McLennan. We're never beating Celtic with this team. Nowhere near enough guile and creativity in the final 3rd and our defence can't really play either. What we were needing yesterday were Celtic to be so off form that they hand us the cup, but we didn't put them under enough pressure to do anything and to be honest we showed a lack of intensity for most of the game. 65th min in a cup final, we're losing 0-1 and have EVERY single person back for a Celtic corner. It almost seemed like a damage limitation job out there at times. They obviously got a joke of a penalty, but we saved it. The ref was horrendous but I don't think it impacted our performance too much with regards to how we approached the game. Celtic only had to play at 70% to beat us in a cup final, thats what really sticks in my craw, we didn't show enough vigour or intensity from the first whistle. Too many sub par performances from us when we needed everyone to be at it.

Also, for all the excellent technical footballers they have, the thing that undone us was a long ball over the top with Consi about 10 yards out of position and Logan switching off.

Really fucks me off people singing the managers name at the end, we didn't win anything. The closest we came to scoring was when Simunovic punted it off his own bar.

Shinnie does t have the touch or composure to play in midfield. The amount of times his horrendous first touch cost us momentum yesterday was unbelievable

Eh...but Derek would be buying

Which makes this winter window his most important to date. If he gets the dead wood off the wage bill and brings in a half decent playmaker and a striker, which even the dogs in the street can see we require, then that will answer a lot of his critics. 

Shinnie does t have the touch or composure to play in midfield. The amount of times his horrendous first touch cost us momentum yesterday was unbelievable

I feel sorry for Shinnie as him and Ferguson are running about like headless chickens putting out fires everywhere and do not have the support of a playmaker who can put his foot on the ball and take the pressure off them.

Which makes this winter window his most important to date. If he gets the dead wood off the wage bill and brings in a half decent playmaker and a striker, which even the dogs in the street can see we require, then that will answer a lot of his critics.

I feel sorry for Shinnie as him and Ferguson are running about like headless chickens putting out fires everywhere and do not have the support of a playmaker who can put his foot on the ball and take the pressure off them.

The running about like headless chickens is part of the problem...any footballer should be able to control a ball. Shinnie struggles yesterday. He isn't good enough in midfield

The running about like headless chickens is part of the problem...any footballer should be able to control a ball. Shinnie struggles yesterday. He isn't good enough in midfield

Aye his touch does let him down at times, but he is good at breaking up play and putting himself about though. The problem is he is also carrying the responsibility of driving the team forward when a simple pass to a decent playmaker, which we are sadly lacking, would take the pressure off him and let him fully concentrate on bullying the opposition midfield. He is being left to carry too much responsibility in my opinion and this is having a negative affect on his game.

The rules say a foul is committed if the referee thinks a player has challenged in a manner that is careless, reckless, or uses excessive force.

If the cunt you tackle is knocked out and stretchered off I think it might be excessive force...?

Definite fucking penalty.

Before even considering that, if someone catches you with a tackle after you've played a pass or shot, it's a foul.

Why would an aerial challenge be any different?

Aye his touch does let him down at times, but he is good at breaking up play and putting himself about though. The problem is he is also carrying the responsibility of driving the team forward when a simple pass to a decent playmaker, which we are sadly lacking, would take the pressure off him and let him fully concentrate on bullying the opposition midfield. He is being left to carry too much responsibility in my opinion and this is having a negative affect on his game.

Fair comment.

I think though that it's the fans , or at least a lot of them , are looking to Shinnie for the creativity , but that's just nae his game., and never really was.

Similar scenarion to Mark Kerr. He was OK when he first came , because he was capable of being a niggly enough and energetic cunt to stop the opposition. But he had some decent skillful/creative players in midfield with him.  When they left  they weren't replaced and Kerr was left as the main man in midfield.  And got dogs abuse fae the crowd when he was shown up as being incapable of being anything other than a destructive midfielder.....but then he never had been

Bottom line is , we're still sorely needing to replace McLean and Christie

Guest findlay_1903

Fair comment.

I think though that it's the fans , or at least a lot of them , are looking to Shinnie for the creativity , but that's just nae his game., and never really was.

Similar scenarion to Mark Kerr. He was OK when he first came , because he was capable of being a niggly enough and energetic cunt to stop the opposition. But he had some decent skillful/creative players in midfield with him.  When they left  they weren't replaced and Kerr was left as the main man in midfield.  And got dogs abuse fae the crowd when he was shown up as being incapable of being anything other than a destructive midfielder.....but then he never had been

BHH

Fair comment.

That is a good comparison. If you think back to Simpson and Cooper, whose sole job was to intimidate their opponents and win the ball in midfield, they always had wee Strachan to lay the ball off to and he would do the silky stuff. You have to have balance between bullies and playmakers and at this moment in time we simply do not have that.

Even with Christie and McLean beside him, I thought he was out his depth in midfield.

• Upvote 1

Well I don't think we played badly, however our lack of creativity in the final third is killing us. Wilson really does look like a waster and Cosgrove has the heart but not the ability. Stevie May has lost whatever he had. 

We competed right up the last and whilst the referee did everything he could to make t a procession for Celtic, we didn't give in. January is important, we need to be making some quality additions or we can forget about a Scottish Cup/European berth.

McLennan has to start on Wednesday. I'd play Anderson too. Not expecting anything out of the game though.

I’m with Old Mannie in this. Did you see Lustigs pish at full time. Did you see Brown take his studs down Ferguson’s Achilles with apparent immunity? For that matter did you see the huns celebration yesterday goading the hertz? That is what Scottish football is now. I’d rather deal with it with “a Shinnie” than without.

Sorry, what has that got to do with Shinnie not being good enough to play in midfield?

We could have Iniesta but if the Celtic tactics of the last 15 minutes are now somehow allowable particularly with a weak ref like Dallas then we will have to fight fire with fire. To do that we need a Shinnie style personality and character.

I'm not saying I'd drop him, I'd play him at left back, as that's his best position.

Furthermore, you can be a footballer who can do the basics and have a 'Shinnie personality' and 'Shinnie character' at the same time. It's not one or the other.

A/. No argument from me re left back, just three years and three finals too late.

(On a side note, I thought Considine was once again dropped in it big style and handled it superbly yesterday. Just does what he does to the best of his ability)

B/. So you want skill and character. Caps too perhaps, maybe a champions league pedigree? I want those things too. Doesn’t mean we can afford them.

The point is when you remove Shinnie out of that midfield, and it’s fair to say we’d like to remove Ball too to leave just Ferguson as the DM you are removing a big presence. Without it we’d have been steam rollered. But I’m happy to hear the alternative.

I’ve said elsewhere I actually liked what I saw in Gleason (Pittodrie and Dens) but am concerned Derek doesn’t think he can do it for 90 minutes. Can’t comment on Forrester as have only seen cameo roles