Aberdeen 0 - 1 Celtic - League Cup Final 2018

A/. No argument from me re left back, just three years and three finals too late.

(On a side note, I thought Considine was once again dropped in it big style and handled it superbly yesterday. Just does what he does to the best of his ability)

B/. So you want skill and character. Caps too perhaps, maybe a champions league pedigree? I want those things too. Doesn’t mean we can afford them.

The point is when you remove Shinnie out of that midfield, and it’s fair to say we’d like to remove Ball too to leave just Ferguson as the DM you are removing a big presence. Without it we’d have been steam rollered. But I’m happy to hear the alternative.

I've told you the alternative. We buy midfielders. We don't try to fit a left back in to midfield. It's not difficult.

I'm sure that we could find a midfielder who has some drive and desire, as well as the basic skill to control a ball first time, in our budget. It's not much to ask.

But if you think that you can't have both together, maybe we should pack up and go home.

• Upvote 1

Just got home after good weekend spoiled slightly by the result, I thought we did ok but we just can't score goals and Cosgrove and Wilson just aren't good enough. Cosgroves attempts at closing down Boyata in the lead up to the goal was pathetic he must be the slowest player I have ever seen. Lowe was very impressive as was Considine and Lewis. We just had absolutely no creativity in the middle of the park. Our only creative player was Mclennan but we didn't get enough ball to him. Ferguson, Shinnie and Ball all put in plenty effort but none of them have a killer pass in them and we are missing Mclean and Christie big style. The Ref was absolutely disgraceful as expected he is so far out of his depth it is unbelievable, the pen was a joke and he just seemed to go with the old if in doubt give it to Celtic. 

Fair comment.

I think though that it's the fans , or at least a lot of them , are looking to Shinnie for the creativity , but that's just nae his game., and never really was.

Similar scenarion to Mark Kerr. He was OK when he first came , because he was capable of being a niggly enough and energetic cunt to stop the opposition. But he had some decent skillful/creative players in midfield with him.  When they left  they weren't replaced and Kerr was left as the main man in midfield.  And got dogs abuse fae the crowd when he was shown up as being incapable of being anything other than a destructive midfielder.....but then he never had been

Bottom line is , we're still sorely needing to replace McLean and Christie

Who were the skillful / creative players around Mark Kerr? 

I am surprised to see folk moaning about our midfield performers yesterday. The celtic 3 of McGregor,christie and rogic have been excellent for 6/7 weeks now and I thought we handled them extremely well. Shinnie loses Christie for the goal and the defensive cover was poor but apart from that we done well. Ferguson didn't let McGregor dictate the game and Rogic hardly got a sniff from Ball all game barring one shot in the first ten minutes. It is clear celtic are weakest down the right back area and we didn't exploit it enough. McLennan was doing well then got switched to the right when Wilson came on. McGinn was wasted just marking Tierney all game but done well doing that job but he looks like the legs have really gone when going forward. Cosgrove gave them problems but had very little support and doesn't have the quality to make something happen himself.

I am surprised to see folk moaning about our midfield performers yesterday. The celtic 3 of McGregor,christie and rogic have been excellent for 6/7 weeks now and I thought we handled them extremely well. Shinnie loses Christie for the goal and the defensive cover was poor but apart from that we done well. Ferguson didn't let McGregor dictate the game and Rogic hardly got a sniff from Ball all game barring one shot in the first ten minutes. It is clear celtic are weakest down the right back area and we didn't exploit it enough. McLennan was doing well then got switched to the right when Wilson came on. McGinn was wasted just marking Tierney all game but done well doing that job but he looks like the legs have really gone when going forward. Cosgrove gave them problems but had very little support and doesn't have the quality to make something happen himself.

Summed up pretty well. You forgot Lowe keeping the on form player in the country in his back pocket though.

McInnes changed it slightly (tactics wise) when GMS went off injured, and cost us a little.

As someone alluded to, Cosgrove 'closing down' of Boyata was fucking terrible and it came from his pass.

Obviously can't be certain but I think McInnes tells the players to let Boyata have it. It happens every single time we play them so I doubt it's just that any striker we've had has decided to not close him down.

• Downvote 1

I think it is the lack of creativity being moaned about, all 3 did well defensively but we created nothing from that area and a midfield should have a creative player in there

Does it matter? Clarke has one win against McInnes, with the help of terrible officiating that gave them two massive advantages when it was clear to anyone in the stadium that the decisions were wrong.

Clarke gets the best out of a team. They are punching well above their weight.

McIness does not and has a hell of a bigger budget than Clarke.

Trying to compare results against each other means nothing.

Give Clarke the budget McIness has at Aberdeen and I think he would have us playing far better football.

• Upvote 1

Clarke gets the best out of a team. They are punching well above their weight.

McIness does not and has a hell of a bigger budget than Clarke.

Trying to compare results against each other means nothing.

Give Clarke the budget McIness has at Aberdeen and I think he would have us playing far better football.

I don't think there's much between the budgets, we had Greg Stewart last year and they have him this year?

That was the longest monday ever. just watched the game back again. What an utter cheating bastard Dallas is, that throw in he over ruled the lino on is scandalous. The penalty as well is just incredible. 

The GMS incident- maybe im clutching at straws here but could we have been given a penalty for it? GMS wins the header then Boyata smashes into him  all be it only a fraction of a second late but late nonetheless.

All that said we could still be playing now and we wouldn't have scored.

Lustig is the hate figure now- praying young fergie ragdolls the prick on boxing day.

I don't think there's much between the budgets, we had Greg Stewart last year and they have him this year?

Recent BBC report showed Aberdeen have the 3rd highest average wages. Kilmarnock were about 7th.

We have spent funds buying players in like Forrest, May and Cosgrove. Can't think of anyone Kilmarnock have paid for recently.

That was the longest monday ever. just watched the game back again. What an utter cheating bastard Dallas is, that throw in he over ruled the lino on is scandalous. The penalty as well is just incredible.

The GMS incident- maybe im clutching at straws here but could we have been given a penalty for it? GMS wins the header then Boyata smashes into him all be it only a fraction of a second late but late nonetheless.

All that said we could still be playing now and we wouldn't have scored.

Lustig is the hate figure now- praying young fergie ragdolls the prick on boxing day.

Dallas was hopeless but he's not the reason we lost. As you say we were never going to score yesterday I could see that from very early on. The best we were going to do was 0-0 and get to penalties and who knows had GMS not been injured we might just have managed it as Celtic weren't great on the day we contained them well enough overall. I just think we dropped our concentration levels slightly straight after the GMS injury. That's all it takes against that mob.

VAR would have possibly given us a pen for the GMS incident. It all happens so so fast but to me it looks like Bain gets the ball just before Boyata gets the man. How late should we allow him to be before its a pen? VAR awards that as a pen in my book.

VAR also reverses the Celtic penalty.

Time for a change.

If Daddy Hugh Dallas was on the VAR then pretty sure all of Andrews decisions would have been backed. VAR wouldn't work in Scotland as would simply add another incompetent individual to the current ones

Thought we matched up all over the park.

Pretty pleased with the performance.........up to the final third.

We could have played for hours and not scored.

Switched off once (Shinnie and both centre half’s) and it cost us a draw........

There were a few decent performances, but what a performance from Lowe - outstanding!

Great effort from the fans too (with one notable exception).

We are suffering from yet another woeful transfer window.

Last chance saloon coming up for McInnes to get things right.

I’d be inclined to start McLennan, Wright and Anderson up top Wednesday.

Cannot do any worse.