Connor Mclennan

But then Fraser played in a team that struggled to manage one goal per game, whereas McLennan's team are a lot better.

You can argue it all ways but to me:

Fraser looked like pretty good in a team that lacked much creativity and a very negative manager.  

McLennan doesn't look out of place in a team that is much better in that regard.

You can draw comparisons all day long, but the key thing for me is that it is ridiculous to slate a player that young and inexperienced for being ineffective, by comparing him to someone who was clearly no more effective, even though he may have felt comparably more exciting at the time.

McLennan has done well and shows bags of promise. For a lad who's played half a season his impact is almost as big as McKenna's was when he came in last season.

Fraser was a talent when he came through and McLennan might never become as good a player as him. But he's already done more in an Aberdeen shirt than Fraser ever did.

Think it is a wee bit of rose-tinted glasses by MT when comparing Ryan Fraser and Connor McLennan.  

In 18 appearances for the Dons, McLennan has 3 goals and 6 assists.  The 6 assists has him sitting equal 5th in the SPFL chart, despite playing considerably less games than the rest on the list:

https://spfl.co.uk/stats-centre

Ryan Fraser never scored for us, and I can't find an assists figure, but don't think it'd be as high as McLennan's.  

It seems strange to attempt to criticise McLennan by comparing him to the impact of Fraser, a player who came in to a pretty dire Craig Brown outfit and impressed a lot, but didn't have that huge an impact. 

A lot of what I remember about Fraser was the potential he had, and how he'd become a great player for Aberdeen over the next few years.  I think the same about McLennan, but also we have the benefit of him actually making a real impact on games already, albeit not always consistently.

You can argue it all ways but to me:

Fraser looked like pretty good in a team that lacked much creativity and a very negative manager.  

McLennan doesn't look out of place in a team that is much better in that regard.

You can draw comparisons all day long, but the key thing for me is that it is ridiculous to slate a player that young and inexperienced for being ineffective, by comparing him to someone who was clearly no more effective, even though he may have felt comparably more exciting at the time.

Exactly.

Time has created some mythical beast out of the Ryan Fraser that was basically a great wee player with bags of potential

He was exciting to watch & was basically our only exciting thing at the time.

He was not strong then though, far from it & McLennan is far more powerful than he was then. To suggest otherwise is ludicrous & that is where the direct comparison of the 'current' players physicality has been erroneously made.

Fraser wasn't fast either. He was just a wee buzz bomb type that ran with the ball close to feet (attracting fouls) because that was the type of player he was & one we had not seen since the likes of Strachan in that sense.

To create this delusional bs that Fraser was some sort of little sound barrier breaking mini tank is coming from the fantasy world of Mt.based on the CURRENT stature of Ryan Fraser & others are being caught up in it also.

Exactly.

Time has created some mythical beast out of the Ryan Fraser that was basically a great wee player with bags of potential

He was exciting to watch & was basically our only exciting thing at the time.

He was not strong then though, far from it & McLennan is far more powerful than he was then. To suggest otherwise is ludicrous & that is where the direct comparison of the 'current' players physicality has been erroneously made.

Fraser wasn't fast either. He was just a wee buzz bomb type that ran with the ball close to feet (attracting fouls) because that was the type of player he was & one we had not seen since the likes of Strachan in that sense.

To create this delusional bs that Fraser was some sort of little sound barrier breaking mini tank is coming from the fantasy world of Mt.based on the CURRENT stature of Ryan Fraser & others are being caught up in it also.

You are making an arse of yourself, as per usual F'n'D. Check out some of the comments in this thread. Ryan Fraser was as tough as an old pair of boots - that was always the quality that stood out for myself and many other it would appear. Also, to say he wasn't quick, is just laughable!

http://www.afc-chat.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=31366

Should have been in hours ago but my mate was playing a county bowling match which meant I had to watch and have some more cider

Firstly, some have said "massive improvement", I can say we know have footballers in the team. Sounds strange but by christ its true , and to an extent it is a "massive improvement"

Anyway, first half I didnt think we were terrible just a bit off the pace and I need to see the first goal again to assess whether it was indeed a "clanger", to me he stopped and should have reacted better , but perhaps thats hyper critical.

Second half, WOW, just wow. A football team that play football, the way its meant to be played, I still dont think the formation is getting the ABSOLUTE best out of the team, but the talent is good enough to make it work. I have to say gents and ladies, after the final whistle I have never felt as proud of a display of football in a long, long time, it was exciting and enjoyable, hand on heart I cannot say that about any Aberdeen team in the last 20 years ! It was that good to me. Special mention to the old grey nutter with the barbour jacket in front of me, who took football swearing to a new level

Langfield its either a 7 or a 4 depending on the first goal

Jack- Tidy 7

Anderson-8 , a wee bit shaky at the start, then did what he does best defend

Consdine Again tidy -7

Reynolds- good -7

Osbourne- 8 The water carrier, still think he might be better at RB, but just gets stuck in recycles , loads of energy

Hughes- 9 Cannot understand the hatred, well I can, he is a weegie Hun, creates space for himself finds a team mate , easy, simple but very effective, been crying out for a player like this for years

Rae - 7 I dont know what to make of Rae, thought is overall play was ok, but he has the classic knack of the "late run into the box" that isnt taught and is talent

Mcginn- 8 Striker/Winger- who cares, talented and scores goals, I AM IN

Vernon- 8 felt sorry for Vern, has to drop so deep, not his game, but an outstanding finish and was very pleased

Saved the best for last. I remember when Tup was spunking himself silly about Maguire and I mentioned he doesnt have heart.

Frasers technical ability is there, but over and above that , a heart of a lion as a i said earlier , he gets BRUTALISED all game, gets back up and says fuck you, I am going to beat you again. I dont think in all my time I have seen a young man with so much courage and desire, Maguire didnt have it, and neither did Fyvie. Young man I would pay to watch you every week. - 10 out of 10, sensational, get him on a big contract now.

I truly enjoyed today, well done Aberdeen

You are making an arse of yourself, as per usual F'n'D. Check out some of the comments in this thread. Ryan Fraser was as tough as an old pair of boots - that was always the quality that stood out for myself and many other it would appear. Also, to say he wasn't quick, is just laughable!

He was only deemed as a tough wee cunt because he kept getting straight back up & getting on with it. I admired that in him especially.

Point being he was still easily knocked over because he was small & weak.

Not making an arse if it at all. I am simply not falling into the same delusional trap others have. Allowing time to distort reality

McLennan is bigger, stronger & faster than Fraser was when with us. I stand by that statement 100%. To argue against that is delusional at best & pretty much solely based on the current £20m valued player.

Fraser was a better player in that he was more skilled, had two good feet & got up straight after getting fouled & got on with it.

McLennan seems to be allowing diving to try & win fouls into his game more & more, which is what I do not like about him compared to Fraser.

Don't see how you can use someone who gave Stephen Hughes a 9 in a game for the Dons as a credible source... :laughing:  

I'd agree with FnD on the bit about people revising history on Fraser based on the player he has become.  He was a good young player with bags of potential who Aberdeen fans never got to see the realisation of.  He certainly didn't do anything in his time at Aberdeen that eclipsed anything that McLennan has done this year.  

• Upvote 1

Don't see how you can use someone who gave Stephen Hughes a 9 in a game for the Dons as a credible source... :laughing:  

I'd agree with FnD on the bit about people revising history on Fraser based on the player he has become.  He was a good young player with bags of potential who Aberdeen fans never got to see the realisation of.  He certainly didn't do anything in his time at Aberdeen that eclipsed anything that McLennan has done this year.  

In fairness, noone, other than Millertime (a fact he still dines out on!), predicted him to become such a major star.  However, to say he wasn't strong or quick, is absolute nonsense.  He clearly was!

In fairness, noone, other than Millertime (a fact he still dines out on!), predicted him to become such a major star.  However, to say he wasn't strong or quick, is absolute nonsense.  He clearly was!

It was clear he was going to be a star for anyone with eyes.

He was an old fashioned winger that loved to run with ball at feet. He was never going to flourish in Scotland with the lack of protection from our refs unless he went to an arse cheek side for that protection.

He was not strong especially when with us & was no better than average in terms of pace, just explosive from standing start because of his size.

To claim he was strong is just ridiculous. Maybe at best you could credit him with being strong 'for his size' but delusional to say he was stronger/more powerful than McLennan when he broke into our team.

In fairness, noone, other than Millertime (a fact he still dines out on!), predicted him to become such a major star. However, to say he wasn't strong or quick, is absolute nonsense. He clearly was!

You likely said he’d end up at East Kilbride stacking shelves (low ones) at ASDA.

It was clear he was going to be a star for anyone with eyes.

He was an old fashioned winger that loved to run with ball at feet. He was never going to flourish in Scotland with the lack of protection from our refs unless he went to an arse cheek side for that protection.

He was not strong especially when with us & was no better than average in terms of pace, just explosive from standing start because of his size.

To claim he was strong is just ridiculous. Maybe at best you could credit him with being strong 'for his size' but delusional to say he was stronger/more powerful than McLennan when he broke into our team.

I've never claimed the part highlighted in bold!

I've never claimed the part highlighted in bold!

No but others have agreed with mt on this claim.

Even if you want to strip it back to basics. Ryan Fraser was not strong when he was with us, not based on your average SPFL player at least. As I said, you caould 'maybe' credit him with being strong 'for his size' but his main strength was in his attitude to keep getting back up & getting on with it. I would imagine that was based on years of being knocked over even at youth levels.

He was not a strong player physically & was easily brushed off the ball. In fact because of the type of player he is/was. It took very little to do this back then

No but others have agreed with mt on this claim.

Even if you want to strip it back to basics. Ryan Fraser was not strong when he was with us, not based on your average SPFL player at least. As I said, you caould 'maybe' credit him with being strong 'for his size' but his main strength was in his attitude to keep getting back up & getting on with it. I would imagine that was based on years of being knocked over even at youth levels.

He was not a strong player physically & was easily brushed off the ball. In fact because of the type of player he is/was. It took very little to do this back then

I think everyone should probably just defer to fnds evidently superior knowledge of Frasers varying levels of strength. It's obvious that it's something he has taken a great deal of interest in over the years. He has obviously been paying great attention to his physique.

I think everyone should probably just defer to fnds evidently superior knowledge of Frasers varying levels of strength. It's obvious that it's something he has taken a great deal of interest in over the years. He has obviously been paying great attention to his physique.

Couldnt give a shite how he is now, or since he left us.

I only took note of him when he played for us & yes, my clear superior knowledge of his physique back then is apparent now.

Others seem to have him down as a mini version of the juggernaut when he played for us.

Only interest I have in him now is his sell on clause

I'm only highlighting the bit I'm agreeing on with FnD, as I don't agree with the rest. I remember him being pretty pacy in a foot race, and could hold his own in a physical battle.

Connor McLennan has been the breakthrough player this season.The night he single handedly turned the game as sub v Livingston saw him arrive and along with Niall McGinn the most skilful player in the team just now. He does frustrate sometimes,running the ball out of play and falling over looking for fouls.Three times first half v Motherwell ,he went down claiming fouls.Three times the referee correctly turned him down. Saturday he learned,persevered,turned Cammy Kerr inside out and laid it on a plate for big Sam Cosgrove to score. More of that and Connor McLennan will do fine.

• Upvote 1
  • 1 month later...

Yep Connor is fully established as a first teamer now and some would argue a first pick too.

Frank ross and Scott wright have a bit of catching up to do.

I dont think it would be unfair for the McInnes haters/doubters to suggest he's fallen lucky (again as per Scott McKenna) and not really made a huge effort to blood him in

Yep Connor is fully established as a first teamer now and some would argue a first pick too.

Frank ross and Scott wright have a bit of catching up to do.

I dont think it would be unfair for the McInnes haters/doubters to suggest he's fallen lucky (again as per Scott McKenna) and not really made a huge effort to blood him in

A bit harsh. Went with him against St Mirren when he didn't have to but unfortunately McLennan got injured when he was having a brilliant game.

Didn't have to go with him in the semi final either. Pretty much played him whenever he has had a chance since giving him his full debut

A bit harsh. Went with him against St Mirren when he didn't have to but unfortunately McLennan got injured when he was having a brilliant game.

Didn't have to go with him in the semi final either. Pretty much played him whenever he has had a chance since giving him his full debut

I am almost positive someone injured themselves in the warm up and he was not originally starting that game. Goal and an assist and then never looked back

I am almost positive someone injured themselves in the warm up and he was not originally starting that game. Goal and an assist and then never looked back

Aye, McGinn got injured in the warm up. But McInnes went with McLennan ahead of a £200k signing (RIP Forrester) which would have been a much safer call.

Think Ross is a more of a number ten kind of player, as opposed to a winger.

I still have high hopes for him.

In fact, wasn't it the very same St Mirren league cup game when McGinn got injured in the warm up, and McLennon stepped up to the bench then came on later, that Ross, and also Scott Wright, destroyed the Bairns that day?

And, isn't Mclennon more of a striker than a winger? Only being played wide at the mo to aid his development.

Scott Wright, I'm not so sure about. Think his time here is done