Future Of The Club

Wasn't that just a bit of conservatism to ensure we didn't get into more debt? Even when we budgeted for 11th we had one of the largest budgets in the league.

That was kind of weird, though... budgeting for a near bottom spot. 

Kind of gives you the impression the board wasn't very confident in either the players or the manager.  At least that's the message it sends to them. 

He had one generally poor transfer window and it hamstrung us all season

STILL though, he managed to mould a team and tactics together to come 3rd/4th, get to a semi and an actual final

That's good going

He will get it right this summer and we will be back to scudding teams by 6 goals or more

Are you actually DM

You're welcome to do that yourself. But the post I responded to said "no-one cares" about women's football. 760,000 tickets sold for an event that apparently no-one cares about blows that little theory right out of the water.

No need to, I knew the answers anyway.

Average attendance is poor, television viewing figures are poor and the clubs make little if any money from the television coverage.

• Upvote 1

Dont worry, this is an exciting time!

We are at an absolutely brilliant time to be an Aberdeen fan

Momentous for the club

That's reassuring Del.

The loon and I are off to purchase our season tickets tomorrow.

The championship in England is full of players who aren't technically great but good athletes. I'd imagine heaps of leagues are.

What’s the English championship got to do with the Scottish premiership being full of athletes?

Small man syndrome. Scotland needs to start developing footballers rather than people who can run around a lot.

No need to, I knew the answers anyway.

Average attendance is poor, television viewing figures are poor and the clubs make little if any money from the television coverage.

Two women's teams in England have a bigger average attendance than two teams in the Scottish Premiership.

Two women's teams in England have a bigger average attendance than two teams in the Scottish Premiership.

The best supported woman's team in Europe average less than 2000. That's less than Ross County, a team based in a town with a population of 4000 playing in the Scottish 2nd tier. Your examples of massive crowds at Atletico and Juve are meaningless, both teams average about 600 for regular games, comparable with Highland league.

• Upvote 1

The best supported woman's team in Europe average less than 2000. That's less than Ross County, a team based in a town with a population of 4000 playing in the Scottish 2nd tier.

Ross County's crowds are excellent, but it still doesn't back up your notion that no-one watches women's football.

If you want to compare women's crowds to men's, then Portland women's team have a bigger average crowd (17,000) than us.

Chelsea women had an average crowd of 500 five years ago. They're now pushing 2,000. That's bigger than the majority of Scotland men's senior clubs.

No-one is claiming women's football is bigger than men's football of course. But continuing to argue that no-one watches it is ridiculous even for you.

Your examples of massive crowds at Atletico and Juve are meaningless, both teams average about 600 for regular games, comparable with Highland league.

You say it's comparable to the Highland League. Are you trying to say that means no-one watches the Highland League? That we should do away with the Highland League?

And when was the last time a Highland league team pulled in 60,000 for a game?

I think you should just admit defeat on this one.

• Downvote 3

Ross County's crowds are excellent, but it still doesn't back up your notion that no-one watches women's football.

If you want to compare women's crowds to men's, then Portland women's team have a bigger average crowd (17,000) than us.

Chelsea women had an average crowd of 500 five years ago. They're now pushing 2,000. That's bigger than the majority of Scotland men's senior clubs.

No-one is claiming women's football is bigger than men's football of course. But continuing to argue that no-one watches it is ridiculous even for you.

You say it's comparable to the Highland League. Are you trying to say that means no-one watches the Highland League? That we should do away with the Highland League?

And when was the last time a Highland league team pulled in 60,000 for a game?

I think you should just admit defeat on this one.

Aye ok, you keep telling yourself woman's football is really popular. It's not though.

• Upvote 3

A quick google search confirms my suspicion that he does indeed have an agenda here.... it seems that the BBC have him covering the Scottish Womens League these days!

Panda has been open about the fact that he reports on women's football in his job as a freelance journalist

A quick google search confirms my suspicion that he does indeed have an agenda here.... it seems that the BBC have him covering the Scottish Womens League these days!

Ah, now it makes sense. Trying to justify his own existence. Must be in the bad books with his gaffer.

Ah I see. Your attempts at trying to debate like adults became too much of a struggle, so now we're getting personal.

I'll leave you children to it then.

I don't think women's football will ever be mainstream in this country despite the growth in recent years. Yes, all for equality etc. etc. and if AFC want a women's team, great, it should run itself financially. There's no appetite in the Aberdeen support for it. Money should not be diverted from the men's and youth academy to fund it.

• Upvote 3

Scotland needs to start developing footballers rather than people who can run around a lot.

Scotland is developing footballers. Some of the current crop at AFC are technically superb.  Where the breaking point comes is their mentality to tough it out in the first team against the type of anti-football deployed by our ertswhile national team manager at Hearts and this is where the reinstatement of the reserve league might help the transition to men's football.  When Scottish football stops having dinosaurs more intent on stopping other teams play than playing football themselves, then you will allow the youngsters room to breathe and do their stuff.

• Upvote 4

Scotland is developing footballers. Some of the current crop at AFC are technically superb.  Where the breaking point comes is their mentality to tough it out in the first team against the type of anti-football deployed by our ertswhile national team manager at Hearts and this is where the reinstatement of the reserve league might help the transition to men's football.  When Scottish football stops having dinosaurs more intent on stopping other teams play than playing football themselves, then you will allow the youngsters room to breathe and do their stuff.

I was drinking last night so my point came out wrong. You’ve summarised what I meant of sorts/I agree with you.

• Site Sponsor

Fuck being ambitious, or even real. Let’s embrace being fucking losers. Fronted by afc_blockhead and co. That’s what I propose. Fuck club condition as long as the neutral Ken’s the pollin count

^ Shoofta-esque

Au contraire.

Makes a lot more sense than thon fucking spoon

And how do those Scottish Premiership figures compare with women's games in Scotland?

There is a good discussion to be had on this but I've just seen it'll be difficult for you to have an objective view.

Women's football is not the draw some would have us believe.

Did Panda just rage quit?

Mon now, min... 

I think women's football is atrocious at every level... I guarantee the current Women's World Cup holders would struggle against any Highland League side... but let's not take the huff about such disagreements. 

Did Panda just rage quit?

Mon now, min... 

I think women's football is atrocious at every level... I guarantee the current Women's World Cup holders would struggle against any Highland League side... but let's not take the huff about such disagreements. 

Struggle? If they kept it below 20 I'd be astonished. Any U15 boys side would pump them...any way you want to take that

Struggle? If they kept it below 20 I'd be astonished. Any U15 boys side would pump them...any way you want to take that

I've coached kids at U5 through U12, moving up to U14 since that's where the loon is playing now.  (Jesus... I remember posting his newborn pic in his AFC kit on here... time flies). The difference between them up to about U10 is negligible, in fact the lassies are better up to U10 since they're less lazy and more interested in teamwork than the loons.  Once they get up to U12, though, the physical differences start to hit. 

One team I coached was full of laddies who were above average in terms of skill, with two players who (if they keep this trajectory up) will definitely play pro. They won four tournaments in a row, after losing the previous two to bigger, older teams. Anyway... 

I'm running them through drills at a local park when a coach from a lassie's team walks up and asks if I'd be willing to put my U12 team up against his U16 girls team. I knew the coach, he's the kind that always has a clipboard for taking notes and he's actually pretty good. He wanted his lassies to get in some easy practice so they could work on their attacking before tournament. I said fair enough, but not to expect too much in the way of shooting practice. He figured the smaller, 'weaker', less disciplined loons would be easy for his lassies to play against. 

By the end of the first 20 min half he was screaming at his team in rage, the score against them already into double figures and these lassies basically chasing shadows and losing their shit at one another. I forget the final score... it was ridiculous, though... and it highlighted the difference between the two genders even with loons that hadn't even started to physically develop.  Once the loons hit 16 and they're growing fluffy beards there's no point even matching females against them. 

Women's international fitba is on TV here constantly because the USWNT is so successful, but watching them makes it clear that they're wasting their time and everyone else's when they demand equal treatment for what is a far inferior product.