Aberdeen 0 - 4 Celtic

Yep, the wingers job is to mark the full back, not beat them.

McLennan was brutal ( I left after the 3rd) however one of my mates pointed out that he had no positional sense and he was only concerned about where their left back was, that's all he did, follow their left back round the park. No attacking purpose at all, just man mark.

He was also a complete shitebag bottling tackles

There’s no actual mannies at the club anymore. Just a team of poofters. Can’t imagine a team with Reynolds flood and robson would have allowed today’s shit show to occur.

Totally agree with this. Flood wasn't that most talented player but wouldn't be allowing Ajer/Brown/Julien/Frimpong to run unchallenged for 50 yards.

Like others have mentioned I also fucked off at HT. Never left that early l before. Left my seat when the third went in watched up the back till HT. Fucking Grim.

Fuck the lot o them. Weakling losers

Almost as bad as Croatian game at home, except didn't think we made Tims work that hard.

Performance analysis as follows:

Lewis - totally unprotected, first half in particular.

Logan - now past his best, becoming a liability.

Leigh - one of better performers, but not supported by many others.

Considine - plenty of heart but increasing lack of pace an absolute problem.

McKenna - thought he was a carthorse yesterday.

Devlin - distribution back to it's worst.

McGinn - lightweight and ineffective.

McLennan - lightweight and ineffective.

Viner - a bit like Leigh but perhaps not as acceptable.

Gallagher - has pace but not a football brain.

Cosgrove - no protection at all from ref, so couldn't achieve much.

Bryson - if can get 90 minute match fit will make a difference.

Wilson - ex Man Utd player, you're having a laugh?

Campbell - didn't notice him when he came on.

McInnes - he has until January to improve matters or the majority of support will want him out. Milne will then have a decision to make as crowds will reduce to under 10,000 otherwise.

See their fans having a dig for us only giving them so much tickets.

One cunt saying Aberdeen don't obviously need the money,ruining Scottish fitba,over 5,000 empty seats.

It’s a bizarre mentality, that of the OF - dressed up as some kind of acts of charity - how they ‘keep clubs in business’ or in our case - how it would mean more money for us.

Seem to think the tv companies would pay millions more due to the stands being full.

The real question about yesterdays game is about Derek and Tony's Tactics. 

If you assign man marking roles to your entire team then the moment an individual battle is lost you have a problem.  Players then need license to abandon their shadow and press the ball to close-down opposition attacks. 

Defending is a compromise between shadowing opponents, pressing the ball and protecting your penalty box/goal.  This works best as a unit.

A defence needs a leader calling when to 'push-out', to play offside and crowd-out the ball carrier.  You cant just defend as individuals.

The first goal yesterday shows what happens if you reduce defending to just individual man-marking.  The back line are just dragged away from the ball leaving the most important area abandoned. 

If you do play a man marking game you need an extra man in midfield or defence to sweep up and cover. 

Our Management should realise these things.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

The biggest surprise from yesterday was that it was only 4-0 and not 8 or 9 nill.

Let’s be perfectly honest, was a case of poor finishing that kept the score line down, that and then feeling sorry for us too I reckon as they could have scored at anytime. Also the free kick save by Lewis was incredible

If you assign man marking roles to your entire team then the moment an individual battle is lost you have a problem. Players then need license to abandon their shadow and press the ball to close-down opposition attacks.

Defending is a compromise between shadowing opponents, pressing the ball and protecting your penalty box/goal. This works best as a unit.

A defence needs a leader calling when to 'push-out', to play offside and crowd-out the ball carrier. You cant just defend as individuals.

The first goal yesterday shows what happens if you reduce defending to just individual man-marking. The back line are just dragged away from the ball leaving the most important area abandoned.

If you do play a man marking game you need an extra man in midfield or defence to sweep up and cover.

Great post

Sometimes the financial gap is there for all to see over 90 minutes. Teams should be doing everything to mitigate the gap but sometimes you can't get away from one team is just better than the other by a fair bit. But when another team gets pummeled by Celtic, which happens to every team every now and again, do they typically go the whole match with one effort on goal? It's very rare I'll watch 90 minutes of a game not involving Aberdeen. So I can imagine teams having a torrid time against Celtic, I just can't imagine other top flight sides being so utterly ineffective for a full 90 minutes.

Sometimes the financial gap is there for all to see over 90 minutes. Teams should be doing everything to mitigate the gap but sometimes you can't get away from one team is just better than the other by a fair bit. But when another team gets pummeled by Celtic, which happens to every team every now and again, do they typically go the whole match with one effort on goal? It's very rare I'll watch 90 minutes of a game not involving Aberdeen. So I can imagine teams having a torrid time against Celtic, I just can't imagine other top flight sides being so utterly ineffective for a full 90 minutes.

Did we not only have 1 shot at Ibrox too? Embarrassing. 

Apparently since 2000 we have only once had a match at Pittodrie with only 1 shot on goal (vs. St Johnstone of al teams).

The celtic fans I work with described us as the worst team they've seen in years. (Not just an Aberdeen team, but team).

The sevco fans I work with said similar after they pumped us 5-0.

They were so shocked at how bad we were I didn't take any ribbing about the scores

You need to change jobs.

If you assign man marking roles to your entire team then the moment an individual battle is lost you have a problem.  Players then need license to abandon their shadow and press the ball to close-down opposition attacks. 

Defending is a compromise between shadowing opponents, pressing the ball and protecting your penalty box/goal.  This works best as a unit.

A defence needs a leader calling when to 'push-out', to play offside and crowd-out the ball carrier.  You cant just defend as individuals.

The first goal yesterday shows what happens if you reduce defending to just individual man-marking.  The back line are just dragged away from the ball leaving the most important area abandoned. 

Our defence has been shite for years now. I don't know if that's down to the players or the tactics, or both. Individually they seem to be ok, but stick them in an Aberdeen top together and it's like a circus show. 

The celtic fans I work with described us as the worst team they've seen in years. (Not just an Aberdeen team, but team).

The sevco fans I work with said similar after they pumped us 5-0.

They were so shocked at how bad we were I didn't take any ribbing about the scores

One of my Celtic supporting mates has also said that some of the easiest games they've had in recent seasons have come up at Pittodrie.

Everytime a Celtic player had the ball, there was at least 2 others running around with acres of space around them. I don't know what the tactic was, zonal marking maybe? But it looked so fucking easy for the Celtic players to pick a pass and run into space. 11 of us could have beaten that Aberdeen team playing like that.

It's man marking. As soon as they do a 1-2 a player is out the game and a celtic player is in yards of space with the ball. It's the most bizarre tactic I've seen and it's been proven it doesn't work about 20 times now.