January 2021

1 hour ago, starryfish said:

could argue our goalie was just as culpable for that opportunity.

37 minutes ago, Durrant Dived said:

It's dropping on the 6 yard box it's 100% his area. Fine N Dandy just hates Taylor.

Bollocks. A long diagonal ball in where Taylor completely lost his man. No way in hell was that Lewis’s fault. That was CH bread & butter ball. Lewis has had some brain farts of late but that one was 100% on the CH that one. Considine or Hoban would have been just as much to blame had it been their man. Taylor was a couple of yards beaten by his man & completely misread the ball in.

19 minutes ago, ConsiCanBoogie1903 said:

I don't think he's amazing, certainly not terrible, though. Has his uses in certain situations. For example, he'll always give 100% which is more than we can guarantee from Sam. Was crucial to us winning the game on Saturday, because we hardly created many chances. He had 2 chances and put them both away. 

Ah our new reading champion has duped another

48 minutes ago, ConsiCanBoogie1903 said:

I don't think he's amazing, certainly not terrible, though. Has his uses in certain situations. For example, he'll always give 100% which is more than we can guarantee from Sam. Was crucial to us winning the game on Saturday, because we hardly created many chances. He had 2 chances and put them both away. 

Being able to run around a lot doesn't make him a useful player. I'd give 100%, I'd still be pish though 

46 minutes ago, fine-n-dandy said:

Bollocks. A long diagonal ball in where Taylor completely lost his man. No way in hell was that Lewis’s fault. That was CH bread & butter ball. Lewis has had some brain farts of late but that one was 100% on the CH that one. Considine or Hoban would have been just as much to blame had it been their man. Taylor was a couple of yards beaten by his man & completely misread the ball in.

It's dropped IN the 6 yard box. If I'm the CB and going for that I'm expecting my goalie to clatter me going for it too. Joe was standing on his line. "Long diagonal ball" - key word being long so Joe had enough time to come out for it and claim it..

• Upvote 1
23 minutes ago, DD1903 said:

Being able to run around a lot doesn't make him a useful player. I'd give 100%, I'd still be pish though 

It does when your other star striker can't be fuckin arsed. 

53 minutes ago, fine-n-dandy said:

Ah our new reading champion has duped another

Nah, I don't think Main should start games. I just think he's handy as a back up striker. 

30 minutes ago, ConsiCanBoogie1903 said:

Nah, I don't think Main should start games. I just think he's handy as a back up striker. 

I don't disagree. He is nowhere near as bad as some (lots) on here would have you believe. Preferably third or fourth choice though. He wouldn't be bursting any budgets if he were to be given an extension. That said....if we could identify a younger talented striker from the lower leagues of anywhere that wouldn't cost any more than Main (and who has the ability to be developed into a possible first choice ie already better than Ruth) then if Main were released I could absolutely accept the decision

17 hours ago, starryfish said:

Why should we compare with others? The investment we make should be providing more players of a saleable value

Because that’s how you judge success, by comparing it to others.

Every team on the planet would like to bring through a full team of great players. Unfortunately 1 or 2 every few years make it and that’s it.

18 minutes ago, Ten Caat said:

I don't disagree. He is nowhere near as bad as some (lots) on here would have you believe. Preferably third or fourth choice though. He wouldn't be bursting any budgets if he were to be given an extension. That said....if we could identify a younger talented striker from the lower leagues of anywhere that wouldn't cost any more than Main (and who has the ability to be developed into a possible first choice ie already better than Ruth) then if Main were released I could absolutely accept the decision

Agree 

55 minutes ago, Durrant Dived said:

It's dropped IN the 6 yard box. If I'm the CB and going for that I'm expecting my goalie to clatter me going for it too. Joe was standing on his line. "Long diagonal ball" - key word being long so Joe had enough time to come out for it and claim it..

Should have been Joe's ball all day long. Although Taylor didn't exactly cover himself in glory either.

Langfield used to get abused just about every game for not dealing with balls like that. 

Joe's an outstanding shot stopper, but the rest of his game really has taken a dip this past season or 2. 

• Upvote 2

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/scottish-premiership/endendevertraege/wettbewerb/SC1

I don't know if this list is still up to date, but a few names on there we should definitely be making an offer to. I haven't read the thread but would assume the same players below have already been mentioned.

Findlay, Gallagher, Campbell would be my main targets. Would be a big improvement on Devlin, Taylor and Ojo who must all be earning a decent enough wage here that those 3 wouldn't cost a huge amount more in wages.

Sounds like we'll be looking to bring in Ross Stewart. He'll be an improvement on Main and Edmondson at least.

1 hour ago, ConsiCanBoogie1903 said:

It does when your other star striker can't be fuckin arsed. 

We shall have to agree to disagree, as if this is the standard of squad player you want, we won't achieve the aims you want us to strive for. It works both ways. Having a better standard of squad player would help us.

1 hour ago, Durrant Dived said:

CH play the ball unless they get a shout & Taylor was caught in no mans land & that is the simple truth of it.

How you can watch that & think Lewis is the main one at fault is truly baffling 

I hate Taylor but would 100% slate any CH for that basic error. He was left treading water

29 minutes ago, Andy_123 said:

Should have been Joe's ball all day long. Although Taylor didn't exactly cover himself in glory either.

Langfield used to get abused just about every game for not dealing with balls like that. 

Joe's an outstanding shot stopper, but the rest of his game really has taken a dip this past season or 2. 

agreed, Taylor doesn't do great himself but if we are pointing fingers at him I think Joe should be questioned in that particular scenario too.

• Upvote 1
8 minutes ago, fine-n-dandy said:

CH play the ball unless they get a shout & Taylor was caught in no mans land & that is the simple truth of it.

How you can watch that & think Lewis is the main one at fault is truly baffling 

I hate Taylor but would 100% slate any CH for that basic error. He was left treading water

It's 5 yards out. If the goalie isn't commanding that area then what the fuck is he doing?!

24 minutes ago, Andy_123 said:

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/scottish-premiership/endendevertraege/wettbewerb/SC1

I don't know if this list is still up to date, but a few names on there we should definitely be making an offer to. I haven't read the thread but would assume the same players below have already been mentioned.

Findlay, Gallagher, Campbell would be my main targets. Would be a big improvement on Devlin, Taylor and Ojo who must all be earning a decent enough wage here that those 3 wouldn't cost a huge amount more in wages.

Sounds like we'll be looking to bring in Ross Stewart. He'll be an improvement on Main and Edmondson at least.

Jon Guthrie has been doing well for Livi. Would also be a suitable replacement for Devlin.

8 minutes ago, Durrant Dived said:

agreed, Taylor doesn't do great himself but if we are pointing fingers at him I think Joe should be questioned in that particular scenario too.

7 minutes ago, Durrant Dived said:

It's 5 yards out. If the goalie isn't commanding that area then what the fuck is he doing?!

It’s a diagonal ball. Exactly the type that can easily take a slight deflection & catch keepers out, keepers tend to leave them for their defenders for that reason, so if there is a nic off a player they are on line as back up. That was 100% the CH’s ball to deal with first (unless he gets a shout) & to suggest otherwise just to excuse Taylor is nonsense 

2 minutes ago, fine-n-dandy said:

It’s a diagonal ball. Exactly the type that can easily take a slight deflection & catch keepers out, keepers tend to leave them for their defenders for that reason, so if there is a nic off a player they are on line as back up. That was 100% the CH’s ball to deal with first (unless he gets a shout) & to suggest otherwise just to excuse Taylor is nonsense 

Cool, agree to disagree.

On ‎12‎/‎15‎/‎2020 at 9:21 AM, Tord31 said:

Stewart, Watkins and Main would be worrying as not carrying a significant goal threat in the squad. 

I'm sure it would still worry you in the same way but don't be surprised if its Stewart and Brophy instead of Cosgrove and Main when next summer comes around  ...….maybe earlier if the right deals are out there. I know many on here would not be excited by the thought of either but they were not excited by the thought of Marley Watkins when he first signed either. I think most have now changed their mind on Watkins so hopefully these 2 might prove people wrong in the same way.   

Whether Watkins would be keen to come here permanent next summer will depend on how big a drop in wages he is willing to take and also how an big impact on EFL teams finances the pandemic has had. Will they reduce squad numbers or will they still pay big wages in comparison to Scottish teams for players they just look at as squad players.

One possible name to watch out for if Scott Wright was to leave would be Josh Sims who is currently on loan at Doncaster until Jan and out of contract in the summer. but his form at Doncaster is likely to see offers from championship again so might not be an option. Injured his hamstring last night though so might not play for Doncaster again depending on what the scans show and if they manage to extend the loan in Jan.

Another out of contact (summer 2021) striker on the radar as a possible Cosgrove replacement option if required is Joe Pigott at Wimbledon. A name I'm sure which would again fill our fans with excitement and joy ?