January 2021

12 minutes ago, strachanmcgheegoal said:

Sorry late to this discussion.  Christie is the player he is precisely because he came through at Caley.  They had to play him (too good not to) and so he developed as the wee guy in a physically big team but a small enough club that were hardly going to carry any favours from referees.

Probably in the same way Simmie and Cooper et al came through the ranks at 16, by getting chucked in at the deep end. How many young players are now slipping through the net by not getting that same exposure?

Watch Simmie’s RedTV interview at Seaton Park, where he outlines his “apprenticeship” and then juxtaposes that with the current setup, of which his own son is part of, denied schools and boys club football thru their youth and then STILL don’t get 1st team football till late teens or even later

3 minutes ago, Simosmashed my knee said:

I have a hunch Cosgrove has already signed with someone down south, if that s the case I would love to see Watkins signed permanently. 

I don't really believe that but it was an interesting comment, and he's now said it twice, from DM that he'd be making the required changes to the squad in January. Strange comment to make in the current financial climate without being sure he is able to move on a couple of players.

Although worth adding he does have Leigh, Woods, Edmondson and Watkins out of contract so perhaps has enough wiggleroom.

1 hour ago, Tord31 said:

I don't really believe that but it was an interesting comment, and he's now said it twice, from DM that he'd be making the required changes to the squad in January. Strange comment to make in the current financial climate without being sure he is able to move on a couple of players.

Although worth adding he does have Leigh, Woods, Edmondson and Watkins out of contract so perhaps has enough wiggleroom.

Tord I agree, it is not like DMc to say so early that changes are inbound. A few players will have to move before he brings anyone in as we have a large squad. I would love to see the majority of players who are out of contract next summer moved on.  I think he he has some decent transfer news and is itching to say!  Louis Moult?

1 hour ago, Simosmashed my knee said:

I have a hunch Cosgrove has already signed with someone down south, if that s the case I would love to see Watkins signed permanently. 

Yeah, that’s my take on it too, and partially accounts for both a lack of effort on the players part, and also explains the reluctance for the manager to play him, in case of injury.

Although in saying that, the player has been poor all calendar year.

How much of the Cosgrove transfer fee would the manager  get to spend ? Be lucky to see £100k but maybe enough to source a pacey  striker, along with securing Watkins on loan till end of the season.

Logan and McGinn won’t be getting new contracts in the summer, so if a St Johnstone or a Dundee Utd offer them an 18 month contract, they might be “encouraged” to leave too

4 minutes ago, sooth_stander said:

Yeah, that’s my take on it too, and partially accounts for both a lack of effort on the players part, and also explains the reluctance for the manager to play him, in case of injury.

Although in saying that, the player has been poor all calendar year.

How much of the Cosgrove transfer fee would the manager  get to spend ? Be lucky to see £100k but maybe enough to source a pacey  striker, along with securing Watkins on loan till end of the season..

I don't think he will get much of the transfer fee, however it will give him a bit of movement in the transfer market to sign players that are out of contract in summer and maybe sign a couple of strikers on loan. I also think he will sign a CB due Devlin's continued injuries and Gash just been Gash

16 hours ago, Ten Caat said:

I suspect Ferguson wouldn't give a shite as if he isn't sold in January, he will be in the summer. 

I did say I didn't think we should do for Campbell (and I don't think we will). I've honestly no idea if any English clubs have even shown an interest in him. all I do know is he hasn't signed the contract 'Well offered back in late summer. It might be we could get him for considerably less if there's no English interest. 

I don't remember there being any obvious unrest by the rest of the squad at the time we were paying Hignett that amount, Indeed the only person that was obviously unhappy was fucking Hignett himself who made it clear he wanted out after about 4 months and was sold back south after 6 months.

Campbell would be an awesome addition. After selling turnbull and many others it's actually such a shame motherwell cant afford to retain him. I guess that's just the state of things. I would assume maybe the old firm or some clubs down south would pony up the 8k. He's worth it. 

Is more realistic to assume DM is planning to work the loan market?

I do wonder if fergs and cosgrove are out this window. 

Campbell coming in sure would ease things. But I dont see it.

12 minutes ago, PondHopper said:

Campbell would be an awesome addition. After selling turnbull and many others it's actually such a shame motherwell cant afford to retain him. I guess that's just the state of things. I would assume maybe the old firm or some clubs down south would pony up the 8k. He's worth it. 

Is more realistic to assume DM is planning to work the loan market?

I do wonder if fergs and cosgrove are out this window. 

Campbell coming in sure would ease things. But I dont see it.

Campbell comes from a family of rabid huns. I suspect Celtic would avoid him like the plague. Sevco might well show an interest....I don't think he would go there with much chance of figuring for their team with any great regularity though....he'd be competing with Arfield, Aribo and Hagi for a place. I think they'd sign him and immediately try to loan him out for a season.

Campbell signing for us would be as a direct Ferguson replacement. As I've said...if he isnt sold in January, he will be in the summer. 

8 minutes ago, Tord31 said:

Daily Record, Scott Burns, saying pre contract offer being prepared for Ross Stewart and the Motherwell lad not far behind.

It’s a contradictory report.

Scott Burns is saying we’ll be in a position to make cash bids in January even if we don’t sell someone

(Given the finances I find that surprising).

Then McInnes is quoted as saying we’ll be looking at freebies & loans. 

Ross Stewart is not very good. Has he scored from open play this season?...

Campbell would be a good signing but I doubt that’ll happen. 

12 minutes ago, super_al said:

I also think Ross Stewart would be a poor signing and is not of a standard required to be a challenger club. 

I think he's handy. Could be worked on. 

54 minutes ago, super_al said:

I also think Ross Stewart would be a poor signing and is not of a standard required to be a challenger club. 

I was watching him like a hawk yesterday, given our interest.  I actually liked what I saw.  Very industrious and moves well for a big man.  I can see why McInnes likes him in that respect.  Are goals a concern?  From what I can see, he's 9 in 36 in the premier league?  Numbers look better in other competitions though...  On the night, he should have done better with his first chance (should have taken on his left) and his second chance, he created for himself - a good save from Joe to keep him out.

In comparison with the incumbent players:  Looks better with the ball at his feet than Main - similar levels of industry.  Physically is a big guy - and could potentially offer the same presence as Cosgrove.  Record suggests he's not as good goalscorer as Cossy... but his technique is far better and certainly offers more off the ball and in possession.  However goals are ultimately what strikers are judged on...

1 hour ago, ConsiCanBoogie1903 said:

I think he's handy. Could be worked on. 

1 hour ago, Sonoftherock said:

I was watching him like a hawk yesterday, given our interest.  I actually liked what I saw.  Very industrious and moves well for a big man.  I can see why McInnes likes him in that respect.  Are goals a concern?  From what I can see, he's 9 in 36 in the premier league?  Numbers look better in other competitions though...  On the night, he should have done better with his first chance (should have taken on his left) and his second chance, he created for himself - a good save from Joe to keep him out.

In comparison with the incumbent players:  Looks better with the ball at his feet than Main - similar levels of industry.  Physically is a big guy - and could potentially offer the same presence as Cosgrove.  Record suggests he's not as good goalscorer as Cossy... but his technique is far better and certainly offers more off the ball and in possession.  However goals are ultimately what strikers are judged on...

In the two games against Ross County this season we have essentially marked him out of the game. Even Ferguson mentioned on commentary how quiet he was on Saturday. 

Stewart is ok, but we need better than "handy" if we are to beat the ugly sisters to a trophy. Watkins has shown what a difference having a mobile and technical forward can do for the team. I am fed up of watching the team play the long ball to the big target man strategy. I fear Stewart will not improve either the style or results of the team. 

1 hour ago, Sonoftherock said:

However goals are ultimately what strikers are judged on...

Everybody's missing Watkins and he's hardly been prolific! 

Im ok for a striker to not score as many as long as he's making the team better. Cosgrove has a good record but when he's played this season he's made the team much worse and because of his lack of technical ability, we struggle to keep the ball up the top end, something Watkins is great at. 

Ojo, Devlin, Taylor, Main (despite his two goals) all need replaced. Cosgrove has obviously done very well in recent seasons however I think despite his own individual success he's detrimental to the side overall. Our performances are considerably better when he's not involved.

I'd like to see us sell Cosgrove and sign Stewart. Replace Main permanently with Watkins at the end of the season. Offload Ojo either this January or next summer and sign Campbell. Devlin and Taylor both aren't good enough and both need replaced: Gallagher and Findlay would be great but unlikely. I wouldn't extend Greg Leigh's stay beyond this season.

Since Cerny appears set to leave at the end of the season we could do with decent competition for Joe Lewis. Since his knee injury against Hearts he's been prone to the occasional calamity and he just hasn't been as consistent since. His kicking has been dreadful this season.

I'd wait another season before considering selling Fergie and I hope Scott Wright signs a contract extension.

16 minutes ago, CalgaryDon said:

Ojo, Devlin, Taylor, Main (despite his two goals) all need replaced. Cosgrove has obviously done very well in recent seasons however I think despite his own individual success he's detrimental to the side overall. Our performances are considerably better when he's not involved.

I'd like to see us sell Cosgrove and sign Stewart. Replace Main permanently with Watkins at the end of the season. Offload Ojo either this January or next summer and sign Campbell. Devlin and Taylor both aren't good enough and both need replaced: Gallagher and Findlay would be great but unlikely. I wouldn't extend Greg Leigh's stay beyond this season.

Since Cerny appears set to leave at the end of the season we could do with decent competition for Joe Lewis. Since his knee injury against Hearts he's been prone to the occasional calamity and he just hasn't been as consistent since. His kicking has been dreadful this season.

I'd wait another season before considering selling Fergie and I hope Scott Wright signs a contract extension.

Saved me a lot of typing that.

Always been a fan of Stewart. County's best player on Saturday and can only get better and more prolific. Remember Cosgrove's scoring record pre-Dons.

Would retain Taylor for now but would ensure that recruitment for defensive area in general is made. Devlin and Leigh have to go though.

Would punt Ojo and put Campbell out on loan. Midfield, in general, is fine but would attempt to secure services of Wadkins again to fill the attacking midfielder roll.

Finally we need to be brave in the January window. Tims are there for the taking this year and second place and higher up the Euro pecking order is up for grabs.