January 2021

6 hours ago, PondHopper said:

Nothing wrong with pillaging from lower clubs. Wasn't hamilton a little sore with how things worked out with fergs moving.

I've never seen the teenager midfielder being mentioned, but I like the overall thought. Seems practical.

Most of our best signings in recent years have came from smaller Scottish clubs.  (Shinnie, McLean,  Ferguson)   That's the market we should be concentrating on. 

9 hours ago, maryhilldon said:

Most of our best signings in recent years have came from smaller Scottish clubs.  (Shinnie, McLean,  Ferguson)   That's the market we should be concentrating on. 

Sometimes wonder if we would have managed to sign Shinnie and McLean if the huns were around. Seems the type of players they usually mop up and either use or waste. 

Could have seen the likes of Kamara at Dundee moving to Aberdeen if we were still the 2nd best team and fresh off actually winning a trophy. Aaah those days of hope and thinking the times they were a changing... back to the same old shite now

29 minutes ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

Sometimes wonder if we would have managed to sign Shinnie and McLean if the huns were around. Seems the type of players they usually mop up and either use or waste. 

Could have seen the likes of Kamara at Dundee moving to Aberdeen if we were still the 2nd best team and fresh off actually winning a trophy. Aaah those days of hope and thinking the times they were a changing... back to the same old shite now

Stewart Milne being a hun rimming cunt is partly why. 

Well the Huns signed Jamie Murphy, Greg Doherty, Greg Stewart and Jordan Jones as well as the young Motherwell boy Hastie.  As yet they've managed to get fuck all out of them. 

Jack and Kamara are the only two they've signed from Scottish clubs that have managed to hold down a place in the team on a regular basis. 

I don't think Gerrard and his team are particularly interested in signing Scottish based youngsters.  Selling McCrorie is also a good indicator of that. 

3 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

Well the Huns signed Jamie Murphy, Greg Doherty, Greg Stewart and Jordan Jones as well as the young Motherwell boy Hastie.  As yet they've managed to get fuck all out of them. 

Jack and Kamara are the only two they've signed from Scottish clubs that have managed to hold down a place in the team on a regular basis. 

I don't think Gerrard and his team are particularly interested in signing Scottish based youngsters.  Selling McCrorie is also a good indicator of that. 

Most of them would improve any non OF team squad. Signing all of the above to rot on the bench so they don't have to play against is standard from the cunts.

10 minutes ago, Durrant Dived said:

Most of them would improve any non OF team squad. Signing all of the above to rot on the bench so they don't have to play against is standard from the cunts.

Aye been a while since they signed anyone from Scotland though.  Hastie was 18 months ago?

Hopefully the sensible ones see that you are better off signing for someone other than those two if you want to continue to progress. 

1 minute ago, aberdeen1970 said:

Aye been a while since they signed anyone from Scotland though.  Hastie was 18 months ago?

Hopefully the sensible ones see that you are better off signing for someone other than those two if you want to continue to progress. 

Yeah, can't think of anyone they have signed more recently. 

Glad Greg Stewart has failed massively, other than financially, it's been a shocking move for him.

3 minutes ago, Durrant Dived said:

Yeah, can't think of anyone they have signed more recently. 

Glad Greg Stewart has failed massively, other than financially, it's been a shocking move for him.

Steve Clarke has been the only manager to get a tune out of Greg Stewart. 

Was a strange signing for the Huns as he was completely pish when he was at Aberdeen, especially the second spell. 

30 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

Aye, the competition for players such as Allan Campbell, Declan Gallagher etc is unlikely to be the arse cheeks.

Mote likely Preston, Huddersfield, Barnsley etc who can all pay double what we can. 

8 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

Steve Clarke has been the only manager to get a tune out of Greg Stewart. 

Was a strange signing for the Huns as he was completely pish when he was at Aberdeen, especially the second spell. 

Aye would have been a surprise if we offered him a permanent deal never mind them. Ah well, fat cunt will end up at Dundee United next season.

On 12/10/2020 at 12:17 PM, WesthillWanderersFC said:

Aye, the competition for players such as Allan Campbell, Declan Gallagher etc is unlikely to be the arse cheeks.

Mote likely Preston, Huddersfield, Barnsley etc who can all pay double what we can. 

I doubt any of those teams can pay double in the current climate, all were running substantial losses before Covid

24 minutes ago, davieb said:

I doubt any of those teams can pay double in the current climate, all were running substantial losses before Covid

We can pay £4k/week for a player. We would maybe stretch that to £8k/week for an exceptional talent on a one off basis if one became known to us and was available. Campbell would maybe fall into that category but personally I wouldn't be making him the highest paid player at the club. Gallagher would certainly come a bit cheaper given his age but again...I wouldn't want to be paying over the odds for him.

Any English Championship club can pay £8k/week. Half their squads will be on or above that.

In the current climate everyone is losing money. 

58 minutes ago, Ten Caat said:

We can pay £4k/week for a player. We would maybe stretch that to £8k/week for an exceptional talent on a one off basis if one became known to us and was available. Campbell would maybe fall into that category but personally I wouldn't be making him the highest paid player at the club. Gallagher would certainly come a bit cheaper given his age but again...I wouldn't want to be paying over the odds for him.

Any English Championship club can pay £8k/week. Half their squads will be on or above that.

Looking at the finances of say Preston, their turnover is 13 million and their wages are 20 million, 130% of income. Just not sustainable business, not sure about FFP rules but they won't be adding many to their squad on 8k per week

1 hour ago, Ten Caat said:

£8k per week? No chance. 
Even more so now. 

58 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

A couple more mobile forwards and another centre back would be great. 

He's got a big squad though so he'll have to shift a few to get others in. 

Yeah we badly lack pace at the top end of the park. 

And Devlin is done, Leigh is injured again so we just need to hope we get through December unscathed defensively and then bring in reinforcements, but will mean a few players moving on, as you say. 

Edmundson back to Leeds, Cosgrove out for a decent fee, Devlin and Ojo are the obvious ones.

7 hours ago, Ten Caat said:

Lolz

6 hours ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

£8k per week? No chance. 
Even more so now. 

We paid that to Hignett way back in '98. I did say we could do it on a one off basis for an exceptional talent but I dont expect it to happen. Although its not really that much more than what we offered Shinnie to stay 2 years ago (and what Lewis subsequently picked up when Shinnie refused).

1 minute ago, Ten Caat said:

We paid that to Hignett way back in '98. I did say we could do it on a one off basis for an exceptional talent but I dont expect it to happen. Although its not really that much more than what we offered Shinnie to stay 2 years ago (and what Lewis subsequently picked up when Shinnie refused).

You mentioned earlier that Championship clubs down south would be tightening their belts.

We will be too as well, surely, given the finances? 

21 minutes ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

You mentioned earlier that Championship clubs down south would be tightening their belts.

We will be too as well, surely, given the finances? 

I dont believe I did. I did say everyone is losing money .

Most likely you are correct about belt tightening but clubs in the Championship do tend to spend plenty for differing reasons ( some fancy their chances of making the EPL, others do so to avoid dropping down to EFL1 at all costs).

Up here sevco and Celtic didn't seem overly concerned about being more frugal.  Both spent plenty in the summer despite the situation. 

EDIT....and just the other day Granny Budge has authorised Neilson to add to his squad in January despite threatening lay-offs after their relegation on a few short months back

2 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

It's not happening.  

If you bring someone in on that kind of money then you've got 3 or 4 players in your squad who'll feel they should have parity at least. 

How would the likes of Hayes, Hedges, Ferguson etc react to Allan Campbell coming in on 8k per week? 

I suspect Ferguson wouldn't give a shite as if he isn't sold in January, he will be in the summer. 

I did say I didn't think we should do for Campbell (and I don't think we will). I've honestly no idea if any English clubs have even shown an interest in him. all I do know is he hasn't signed the contract 'Well offered back in late summer. It might be we could get him for considerably less if there's no English interest. 

I don't remember there being any obvious unrest by the rest of the squad at the time we were paying Hignett that amount, Indeed the only person that was obviously unhappy was fucking Hignett himself who made it clear he wanted out after about 4 months and was sold back south after 6 months.