January 2021

1 hour ago, sooth_stander said:

Interesting.

I wonder if we were ever in for Christie back in the day, when he was still at Inverness? Maybe the £550k fee was too steep for us 5 years ago but you’d have thought we were looking at him before that

Even if we were, at that point it's highly unlikely he would have joined us. He famously quoted that up until the point he first joined us on loan from Celtic, he had always loathed us. 

2 hours ago, sheep123 said:

Would like to think we’re keeping an eye on the young midfielder roddy mcgregor up at caley thistle, 18 years older man of the match last night and scored a screamer. Apparently been a stand out all season. 

I've noticed his name cropping up... a lot of hype about Kai Kennedy on social media, but many folk saying MacGregor has been more impressive.

21 minutes ago, Ten Caat said:

Even if we were, at that point it's highly unlikely he would have joined us. He famously quoted that up until the point he first joined us on loan from Celtic, he had always loathed us. 

Footballers aren’t exactly known for their brains, are they? Maybe as a youngster he did despise us, down to all his mates being Dandies, but he was more than happy to join us on loan, in order to further his career and if the stories are true, was very close to joining us permanently had the Tims signed John McGinn.

10 minutes ago, sooth_stander said:

Footballers aren’t exactly known for their brains, are they? Maybe as a youngster he did despise us, down to all his mates being Dandies, but he was more than happy to join us on loan, in order to further his career and if the stories are true, was very close to joining us permanently had the Tims signed John McGinn.

Aye, it was a tweet referring to sheep shagging bastards or something like that, when he was about 17.

Hardly something to wet any beds about. 

1 hour ago, sooth_stander said:

Not the reason though!!!

the reason Christie hated us is his father!he fucking despises us and young Christie was following his fathers rhetoric!.

I wonder were that attitude comes from?.   The 2 glasgow shite hawks usual pull for fans, send in the elder statesman to forbid supporting anybody bar who they support

9 hours ago, sheep123 said:

Would like to think we’re keeping an eye on the young midfielder roddy mcgregor up at caley thistle, 18 years older man of the match last night and scored a screamer. Apparently been a stand out all season. 

Would like to think we’d have players in our own academy system of a higher level than Inverness 

16 minutes ago, starryfish said:

Would like to think we’d have players in our own academy system of a higher level than Inverness 

Not necessarily. 

Why aren't Inverness allowed to bring through good youngsters?  Young lads tend to come through at local clubs through the age groups. 

Inverness brought through Christie. Hamilton brought through Ferguson.  I could list 100s of young players who have came through at smaller clubs over the decades and went on to decent careers. 

13 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

Not necessarily. 

Why aren't Inverness allowed to bring through good youngsters?  Young lads tend to come through at local clubs through the age groups. 

Inverness brought through Christie. Hamilton brought through Ferguson.  I could list 100s of young players who have came through at smaller clubs over the decades and went on to decent careers. 

Why aren’t Aberdeen bringing through players of the level of Christie and Ferguson?

Ryan Fraser, Ryan Jack and Scott McKenna are possibly the most recent high quality players that came through at Pittodrie, the first two were before the current manager rocked up 

4 minutes ago, starryfish said:

Why aren’t Aberdeen bringing through players of the level of Christie and Ferguson?

Ryan Fraser, Ryan Jack and Scott McKenna are possibly the most recent high quality players that came through at Pittodrie, the first two were before the current manager rocked up 

Either there isn't local talent at the same level as them or they are but they arent being developed as well through the youth system here. But I don't know which as I don't follow the youth teams closely like some others on here who will be better placed to answer. 

10 minutes ago, starryfish said:

McLennan and Wright perhaps but they still have lots to prove.

16 minutes ago, RedRichard said:

An unpopular opinion no doubt, and I don't even like suggesting it myself, but I'd like to see a couple of loans in from the top English flight - pretty much the only way to get quality in that is beyond our (transfer/salary) means. 

Nothing wrong with that.

But if it means more shite like Edmondson, then I’d rather not bother.

How the fuck he’s got a contract at Leeds I’ll never know.

His second touch is usually him running back to make a tackle because he’s let the ball bounce off him. 

On 12/5/2020 at 9:37 PM, WesthillWanderersFC said:

Nothing wrong with that.

But if it means more shite like Edmondson, then I’d rather not bother.

How the fuck he’s got a contract at Leeds I’ll never know.

His second touch is usually him running back to make a tackle because he’s let the ball bounce off him. 

I'll raise you Nwakali and Manchester City

1 hour ago, Millertime said:

Because a young player good enough to slot into caleys first 11 isn't necessarily good enough to slot into ours?

Christie was clearly a level ahead of players like Peter Pawlett and Cammy Smith when he was at ICT.

Ferguson clearly a level ahead of players like Dean Campbell and Seb Ross when at Hamilton.

23 hours ago, starryfish said:

Christie was clearly a level ahead of players like Peter Pawlett and Cammy Smith when he was at ICT.

Ferguson clearly a level ahead of players like Dean Campbell and Seb Ross when at Hamilton.

If this is the case, and i'm not arguing with your opinion, why did Ferguson not gain international recognition until U19's ?

On 12/7/2020 at 10:02 PM, starryfish said:

Ferguson was a bit-part player at Hamilton.  I didn't expect him to play straight away when he came here.  None of those three players had played enough football to argue one was clearly ahead of the others...

1 hour ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

aye I think a fair bit of hind sight has gone into that post. 

When christie was breaking into the Inverness team, pawlett was probably going through his bizarrely top class phase for us. 

I have no recollection of Ferguson playing for hamilton at all. I doubt many on here do. 

Only played about half a dozen games.  Highly doubt any of us had heard of him before he signed