4 hours ago, Parklife said:

Fuck that. Get superstar Watkins through the middle. 

Any update on when or if McGrath, Gallagher and a super striker will be signed.    Cormack saying days or weeks  before anyone’s signed,  prefer days than weeks.    If they leave it until weeks they could miss out to some other club.  What’s happening with Watkins.    This could melt into Atlanta loan signings.   

40 minutes ago, shooftahmooftah said:

Any update on when or if McGrath, Gallagher and a super striker will be signed.    Cormack saying days or weeks  before anyone’s signed,  prefer days than weeks.    If they leave it until weeks they could miss out to some other club.  What’s happening with Watkins.    This could melt into Atlanta loan signings.   

Doesn't mean they necessarily haven't signed just because it hasn't been announced by either party yet. 

37 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

League finishes in just over a week so I'd imagine we'll get an announcement or two then. 

Hopefully we get the majority of them signed before the European finals. We would make extra cash from all their FA’s in compensation whilst they are away on International duty.

56 minutes ago, Zander1903 said:

might help to get the season ticket flood in if there's some big transfer news

it would sway my decision to get a season ticket rather than per game

What would you consider big transfers? Would Gallagher be in that bracket? Would Griffiths? Certainly 2 good if not very good signings for us but would people want higher profile than that or is that as big as it gets? 

1 hour ago, slippers said:

What would you consider big transfers? Would Gallagher be in that bracket? Would Griffiths? Certainly 2 good if not very good signings for us but would people want higher profile than that or is that as big as it gets? 

Both current Scotland internationals. 

How "big" are you expecting?

12 minutes ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

There seems to be an assumption Gallagher is signing.

If Cardiff are sniffing about & interested, it’s maybe not a done deal. 

I’m almost, but not quite, as pessimistic as you, WW, but it’s happening. All the usual reliable sources are saying so.

I wander if he was on McInnes’ radar? I think he was. I wander how many of our other current targets were also on his radar? I sincerely hope we have binned his parochial strategy, allied with Russy boy,  and are casting the net far and wide.

Listened to a good podcast this morning, who were musing over Aberdeen’s potential transfer strategy going forward. They were commenting on how we could have picked up a puckle of decent Croatians, for example, using part of the Cosgrove dough, pay them the usual wages but cash in, in a few years? The Celtic strategy albeit at a lower level.

Another McInnes failing was to cease scouting at Dover.

3 minutes ago, sooth_stander said:

I’m almost, but not quite, as pessimistic as you, WW, but it’s happening. All the usual reliable sources are saying so.

I wander if he was on McInnes’ radar? I think he was. I wander how many of our other current targets were also on his radar? I sincerely hope we have binned his parochial strategy, allied with Russy boy,  and are casting the net far and wide.

Listened to a good podcast this morning, who were musing over Aberdeen’s potential transfer strategy going forward. They were commenting on how we could have picked up a puckle of decent Croatians, for example, using part of the Cosgrove dough, pay them the usual wages but cash in, in a few years? The Celtic strategy albeit at a lower level.

Another McInnes failing was to cease scouting at Dover.

When you say casting the net wider, my fear would be we’d go to Atlanta.

When you bear in mind their first team regulars include Jake Mulraney, it’s safe to assume anyone who can’t get in their team will be inferior to him, and the likes of Mulraney wouldn’t improve us. 

I can’t imagine Glass, Russell or Brown will have any knowledge of the likes of Scandinavia, Slovakia, Croatia, Poland etc.

I expect it’ll be British/Irish players with a couple of Atlanta players on loan maybe? 

4 minutes ago, slippers said:

Yeah I think it’s pretty close to ceiling we could expect, I just wondered what everyone else’s interpretations of “big” signings were. 

Our ceiling is pretty much self-limiting because we have a wage structure that means the most we pay our players is around the £6k/week mark

Unless Cormack is willing to increase that figure, the pool of players we are fishing in puts us on a par with (very) bottom end English Championship clubs and top end EFL1 clubs.

The days of us signing guys who played for a team that played in a World Cup semi final 2 years previous are long gone. Eastern Europeans used to be (relatively) cheap as chips but even their top division clubs can now comfortably outpay us for top talent.

12 minutes ago, slippers said:

Yeah I think it’s pretty close to ceiling we could expect, I just wondered what everyone else’s interpretations of “big” signings were. 

Also, the odd cherry pick of other teams for players such as Jamie McGrath of St Mirren, Jason Kerr at St Johnstone for example. 

We’ve done well in the past from signing the likes of Shinnie, Hayes, McLean.

Signed around 23/24 at a good age where they can give us a good few years before maybe moving on, after we sign them for free or for manageable fees. 

Nice one. The rumours were true then. That's a very good signing.

I was waiting for us to be gazumped. If Celtic had a manager I honestly would not have been surprised if they'd taken him knowing they are losing Duffy and Ajer this summer.

4 minutes ago, Durrant Dived said:

Just asked Kerrs' father in law if any interest; Only Oxford and Hibs have approached St Johnstone. Preference is Hibs as his family are Hibees. 

He'd be a shout to replace Porteous if they did get cash for him. That's likely to be closer to the deadline.

31 minutes ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

Left sided too. 

Not really a big issue in a back four.  Different in a back three. 

Thousands of right footed centre backs have had good careers playing left centre back. 

Don't remember Miller or McLeish being left footed. 

And others off the top of my head like Adams, Terry, Vidic, Ramos, Puyol and many others have done pretty well in that position.  The best defender in world football, Van Dijk, isn't too shabby as a right footed centre back playing left in a two. 

The important thing is to get two good centre backs rather than shoe horn someone in just because he's left footed. A good player will be able to play either of the two positions. 

Saying that I won't say no to Lindsay on loan if he comes in. 

55 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

Not really a big issue in a back four.  Different in a back three. 

Thousands of right footed centre backs have had good careers playing left centre back. 

Don't remember Miller or McLeish being left footed. 

And others off the top of my head like Adams, Terry, Vidic, Ramos, Puyol and many others have done pretty well in that position.  The best defender in world football, Van Dijk, isn't too shabby as a right footed centre back playing left in a two. 

The important thing is to get two good centre backs rather than shoe horn someone in just because he's left footed. A good player will be able to play either of the two positions. 

Saying that I won't say no to Lindsay on loan if he comes in. 

I agree with you, just preferable to have that balance. 

1 hour ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

I agree with you, just preferable to have that balance. 

Players are told to exploit their opponents weaknesses.

I therefore think it is genius to play right footed Defenders at left CH & left footed ones at right CH. it’s a cunning plan as it means the strikers will automatically be moving outside & away from goal ?

Obviously all that I have written above  is utter bullshit & means nothing just as the dinosaur thinking that left & right CH’s should play on their designated side for their stronger foot. It’s all BS. A good CH can play anywhere in a back 3 or either of central back 4.  Actually ? now that I think about it. How the fk do we pick a defender for middle of a back 3? Does he have to be as strong on both feet? What colour of laces should they all wear. We need a colour code for those weirdo left footers for sure. They are more accident prone as well you know. Especially bad for falling off ladders as ladders are designed for righty’s predominantly 

• Dildo 1

After a discussion with relative ITK as a Tim season ticket holder would be fairly confident that we'll sign Griffiths, if we really want him.

Relative reckons that the thumb has had a raw deal at Parkhead this season, and still has much to offer, including at Tim level had he been given a chance. Remarkably his career statistics still reflect a one goal in two game ratio.

Personally I reckon he would thrive at Pittodrie, scoring plenty of goals, much like the Frank McDougall signing did back in the mid eighties (Frank wasn't super fit but boy could he finish!).

The question is, will we go and seal the deal before other potential suiters get involved?

6 hours ago, fine-n-dandy said:

Players are told to exploit their opponents weaknesses.

I therefore think it is genius to play right footed Defenders at left CH & left footed ones at right CH. it’s a cunning plan as it means the strikers will automatically be moving outside & away from goal ?

Obviously all that I have written above  is utter bullshit & means nothing just as the dinosaur thinking that left & right CH’s should play on their designated side for their stronger foot. It’s all BS. A good CH can play anywhere in a back 3 or either of central back 4.  Actually ? now that I think about it. How the fk do we pick a defender for middle of a back 3? Does he have to be as strong on both feet? What colour of laces should they all wear. We need a colour code for those weirdo left footers for sure. They are more accident prone as well you know. Especially bad for falling off ladders as ladders are designed for righty’s predominantly 

It's OK to have a right footed defender in the middle of a three as long as your goalie is left handed. 

• Haha 4