Aberdeen sack Derek McInnes

Ok if you would prefer it this way.

It was extraordinary. An amazing result. Totally out with form. A game where almost everything went right for Aberdeen & quite the opposite for Motherwell.

I would say we had a fair amount of luck on our side when all things are considered for that game & especially form of both sides.

It wasn't lucky. Surprising under the circumstances yes. But not lucky. You don't win 3-0 away from home with luck alone, especially when you score 3 good goals like we did.

Yeah we could have gone a goal down but Lewis made a great save.

The rest was down to the team showing some bollocks and desire. That's what we want every week.

It wasn't lucky. Surprising under the circumstances yes. But not lucky. You don't win 3-0 away from home with luck alone, especially when you score 3 good goals like we did.

Yeah we could have gone a goal down but Lewis made a great save.

The rest was down to the team showing some bollocks and desire. That's what we want every week.

Totally against the norm.

Extraordinary.

The stars aligned.

Shit fell for us.

Shit didn’t fall for them.

Three goal of month/season contenders that in any other game leading into that one, nine out of ten times would have missed the target.

The game was a fortunate blip. Nothing more.

Also known as LUCKY or very fortunate if it makes you feel better because it most certainly wasn’t a planned master class

• Upvote 1

Totally against the norm.

Extraordinary.

The stars aligned.

Shit fell for us.

Shit didn’t fall for them.

Three goal of month/season contenders that in any other game leading into that one, nine out of ten times would have missed the target.

The game was a fortunate blip. Nothing more.

Also known as LUCKY or very fortunate if it makes you feel better because it most certainly wasn’t a planned master class

No but it was a good performance. Nothing fortunate about it.

Aberdeen are the third biggest club in Scotland, with the third biggest budget.

We should be in the semis of both cups, provided we avoid old firm before that stage, and we should be third minimum.

No questions asked. No "oh but it's a new squad" "oh his rebuilding job" "oh he's got boys out injured." These are the expectations set and this season he's fallen well short.

Last season finishing 4th behind Kilmarnock was embarrassing. The Scottish Cup Semi Final where the manager and Ferguson chucked in the towel was embarrassing. The League Cup Final everyone said we were "competitive" in was embarrassing. Closest we came to scoring that day was when Simunovic hit his own bar inexplicably.

This season, we've been horsed 9-0 on aggregate by Celtic and Rangers. Not even competing in either game.

We got horsed out of the Europa League by Rijeka, due to our negative tactics away from home and then having to come out for the second leg.

Knocked out of the cup by a Hearts side that's absolutely fucking woeful. Scraped a draw against a Hibs side that's equally as bad as the hearts one, with two players off.

Our main summer signing has been chronically injured, our other marquee signing in James Wilson can't get a game. McLennan, Ferguson, Campbell and Anderson all appear, based on this season, to not be developing as they should.

Our star centre half wants away and judging on his recent performances, he already is.

Our alternatives there are Devlin and Taylor, the former has been atrocious since the first whistle of this new campaign and the latter is as we all know, a fucking donkey.

McInnes also have Joe Lewis the captains armband, which granted, was a popular choice when first announced. However, since then it's became clear we need someone further up the pitch with leadership qualities. The best Aberdeen teams have always had a CM or CB skipper who wasn't afraid to bark out orders.

Could go on.

I've said since the cup QF defeat at Motherwell in 2017 that he needs to go.

His only achievement has been one league cup and that was about 6 years ago now.

See this is the bit I don't get.  All that and, tactics against Reijeka aside, no mention of Europe.  In my eyes we stand a much greater chance of doing something domestically if we focussed more on Europe.  Why were we negative against Rejieka?  Because we'd lost half our team to injury fucking about in Finland when they should have been put to bed at Pittodrie.  An utter lack of preparation and zero fear about consequences.

We will NOT always qualify for european group stages, the luck of the draw sees to that.  But heres the thing. If we continue like this we WILL always get humped by both cheeks.

Its simple stuff like sitting down in January (early January not 10pm on the 31st) and saying who might we need in June for a qualifier?  Whats that?  Our star man has said to us now (in January) that he might be here in June, might not, just depends?  Well fuck off then, or at the very least heres a game in the reserves to sharpen your focus.  Who's likely to be key in June?  Cosgrove?  Right who plays off him best?  We're in pissing October, horsed out of two, basically three trophies out of four AND WE STILL DONT KNOW.

Sakes!    

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Aberdeen are the third biggest club in Scotland, with the third biggest budget.

We should be in the semis of both cups, provided we avoid old firm before that stage, and we should be third minimum.

No questions asked. No "oh but it's a new squad" "oh his rebuilding job" "oh he's got boys out injured." These are the expectations set and this season he's fallen well short.

Last season finishing 4th behind Kilmarnock was embarrassing. The Scottish Cup Semi Final where the manager and Ferguson chucked in the towel was embarrassing. The League Cup Final everyone said we were "competitive" in was embarrassing. Closest we came to scoring that day was when Simunovic hit his own bar inexplicably.

This season, we've been horsed 9-0 on aggregate by Celtic and Rangers. Not even competing in either game.

We got horsed out of the Europa League by Rijeka, due to our negative tactics away from home and then having to come out for the second leg.

Knocked out of the cup by a Hearts side that's absolutely fucking woeful. Scraped a draw against a Hibs side that's equally as bad as the hearts one, with two players off.

Our main summer signing has been chronically injured, our other marquee signing in James Wilson can't get a game. McLennan, Ferguson, Campbell and Anderson all appear, based on this season, to not be developing as they should.

Our star centre half wants away and judging on his recent performances, he already is.

Our alternatives there are Devlin and Taylor, the former has been atrocious since the first whistle of this new campaign and the latter is as we all know, a fucking donkey.

McInnes also have Joe Lewis the captains armband, which granted, was a popular choice when first announced. However, since then it's became clear we need someone further up the pitch with leadership qualities. The best Aberdeen teams have always had a CM or CB skipper who wasn't afraid to bark out orders.

Could go on.

I've said since the cup QF defeat at Motherwell in 2017 that he needs to go.

His only achievement has been one league cup and that was about 6 years ago now.

You want the team to lose. You are a disgrace.

• Downvote 6

You want the team to lose. You are a disgrace.

I want a change to happen that will benefit the club both in the long and short term.

I also don't want the team to lose, I just want us to play badly. I would never actively wish Aberdeen to lose.

As much as I'm wanting him gone, to say we should get to the semi finals and finish 3rd every year is unrealistic. Clubs will have up and down seasons/games. It's unwillingness to change things that worries me along with a list of failures that is mounting up.

Same old story in Europe and same old story against Celtic. Its stubbornness thats the main issue.

As much as I'm wanting him gone, to say we should get to the semi finals and finish 3rd every year is unrealistic. Clubs will have up and down seasons/games. It's unwillingness to change things that worries me along with a list of failures that is mounting up.

Same old story in Europe and same old story against Celtic. Its stubbornness thats the main issue.

That's not entirely true though is it?  On at least two occasions last season (LC Final being one) we deployed a high press on Celtic.  By and large it was a good tactic but despite having a go (and losing our most influential player early on) we came away from that game empty-handed.  Neil Lennon's Celtic isn't as strung out about having to play out from the back, they're a bit more direct, so a different approach is maybe called for.  He hasn't been able to find that formula to be competitive against them.  The high press only has worked to shake them up, and even then without a result over the 90 minutes.  Celtic have changed, Rangers have improved, we have gone slightly backwards. We have to acknowledge that context.

There's no getting away from how poor we were on Sunday, nor at Ibrox. It is completely unacceptable and needs to be improved.

But this; for how poor we've been (and I came away from the 3-0 v Ross County amazed at how poor we were that day despite turning them over) we've only lost one other league game and could (optimistically) realistically go 3rd tomorrow night.  After 10 & 11 matches last season we were 8th.  We were also out of Europe although admittedly still in the LC.  I know Hearts are pish this year but is it really a massive disgrace to go down to Tynecastle and go out on penalties?  It's sport after all; we have no divine right to be the 3rd best team as the man from Del Monte says.  And for what it's worth that's a really pathetic target anyway, to be the third best team and to throw the toys out the pram for not being there all the way through the league season.  We aim to be the best, not the third best.

We are going through a bad spell but we have the players to get out of it if McInnes can just get settled on his best team, let his flair players play with more panache and freedom and let his mannies kick fuck out of the opposition.  He was just about there until he had to reconstruct his midfield.  Flair and Mannies. The way forward.

So you basically agree with me in regards to the team and expectations yet you choose to abuse me for it?

Couldn’t make it up

• Downvote 1

That's not entirely true though is it? On at least two occasions last season (LC Final being one) we deployed a high press on Celtic. By and large it was a good tactic but despite having a go (and losing our most influential player early on) we came away from that game empty-handed. Neil Lennon's Celtic isn't as strung out about having to play out from the back, they're a bit more direct, so a different approach is maybe called for. He hasn't been able to find that formula to be competitive against them. The high press only has worked to shake them up, and even then without a result over the 90 minutes. Celtic have changed, Rangers have improved, we have gone slightly backwards. We have to acknowledge that context.

There's no getting away from how poor we were on Sunday, nor at Ibrox. It is completely unacceptable and needs to be improved.

But this; for how poor we've been (and I came away from the 3-0 v Ross County amazed at how poor we were that day despite turning them over) we've only lost one other league game and could (optimistically) realistically go 3rd tomorrow night. After 10 & 11 matches last season we were 8th. We were also out of Europe although admittedly still in the LC. I know Hearts are pish this year but is it really a massive disgrace to go down to Tynecastle and go out on penalties? It's sport after all; we have no divine right to be the 3rd best team as the man from Del Monte says. And for what it's worth that's a really pathetic target anyway, to be the third best team and to throw the toys out the pram for not being there all the way through the league season. We aim to be the best, not the third best.

We are going through a bad spell but we have the players to get out of it if McInnes can just get settled on his best team, let his flair players play with more panache and freedom and let his mannies kick fuck out of the opposition. He was just about there until he had to reconstruct his midfield. Flair and Mannies. The way forward.

Great post.

Many good points made here, but what annoys me most, along with the annual European capitulations, is the small but very vocal minority touting the "best since Fergie" horse shit.

Celtic have walked to a treble-treble, one which completely flatters them. It is a good, functional Celtic side for sure, but certainly not a great one and that is borne out by their declining European progress in recent years. To have failed to win the league is understandable, but to not even lay a glove on them is unforgivable. Balsawood faced far stronger Rangers and Celtic teams and at least had a go (and his record against them, in retrospect, wasn't as bad as many thought at the time).

McInnes hit the ground running, largely because he inherited a playing field so weak and a budget so consistent, any manager with a modicum of drive and who isn't an utter mongol could have achieved the league placings he did in his first four seasons. Granted, 2018 was a good finish, but since then we've gone backwards at an alarming rate, reduced to predictable hoofball with a poor man's Peter Crouch as our only real threat up front.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1
Guest the shepherd

Sleekit hun bastard

Don't agree with the sleekit part min as Derek McInnes was quite transparent when he went down for talks with the relatively new club and Sunderland with a view to potentially becoming their manager. Always thought he was a Greenock Morton fan.

Massive game for Aberdeen and McInnes tonight at a ground where we haven't got the greatest of records, however a repeat of our last result there would be good.

I said all the way through the treble treble pish that the only side that would beat Celtic was Celtic (apart from a small window in the Delia period when Ward was recalled, Rooney got injured and Griffiths got two massive last minute winners for them in the space of two weeks.). That’s basically what we’re seeing now as they simultaneously asset strip and replace cheap.

So I don’t blame McInnes for their dominance no. But I do blame him for not addressing ongoing frailties against them and not Fully exploiting Other avenues (Europe) that were available to him.

Many good points made here, but what annoys me most, along with the annual European capitulations, is the small but very vocal minority touting the "best since Fergie" horse shit.

Celtic have walked to a treble-treble, one which completely flatters them. It is a good, functional Celtic side for sure, but certainly not a great one and that is borne out by their declining European progress in recent years. To have failed to win the league is understandable, but to not even lay a glove on them is unforgivable. Balsawood faced far stronger Rangers and Celtic teams and at least had a go (and his record against them, in retrospect, wasn't as bad as many thought at the time).

McInnes hit the ground running, largely because he inherited a playing field so weak and a budget so consistent, any manager with a modicum of drive and who isn't an utter mongol could have achieved the league placings he did in his first four seasons. Granted, 2018 was a good finish, but since then we've gone backwards at an alarming rate, reduced to predictable hoofball with a poor man's Peter Crouch as our only real threat up front.

Good description.