Aberdeen sack Derek McInnes

1 minute ago, Sooper-hanz said:

Collins was asked about the Celtic Dof job last night and instead of trotting out the usual ‘ I’ve not been approached blah blah’ line, he backed himself ,stated he has the capabilities and that he was very interested in the job .

Fuck him though. I just don’t like him . Don’t like the way he does that weird talking thing where words come out on the exhale . 

Haha- fair point 

All the best Derek. 

100% the right time for him to go, but nobody can say he didn't do wonders for the club on and off the park during his first few seasons. People within the club will testify how bad things were pre-McInnes, from diets to just general attitudes around the place, McInnes brought back professionalism and respect to the club. 

It went south after the Rangers saga and I wish that he had left at that point, based on performances onwards.

• Upvote 4

Anyone else apprehensive about the sacking? i've been wanting him gone for a while, things have gone stale and he's been increasingly unable to change things up and improve the team, however i'm pretty nervous about bringing in the unknown. McInnes has been good at getting results, mostly, against the lesser sides and keeping around the top 3-4, i hope we can find someone who can take that template and add a bit of swagger and confidence. Someone who'll go up against Celtic and Rangers with a "we'll try and win this game" attitude and not "let's man mark everyone and hope for the best"

3 minutes ago, StandFree1982 said:

Anyone else apprehensive about the sacking? i've been wanting him gone for a while, things have gone stale and he's been increasingly unable to change things up and improve the team, however i'm pretty nervous about bringing in the unknown. McInnes has been good at getting results, mostly, against the lesser sides and keeping around the top 3-4, i hope we can find someone who can take that template and add a bit of swagger and confidence. Someone who'll go up against Celtic and Rangers with a "we'll try and win this game" attitude and not "let's man mark everyone and hope for the best"

Aye. It is a risk. McInnes is just about a guarantee of qualifying for Europe. Have never seen that in another manager, getting into Europe was usually a remarkable season. But it also became a guarantee of doing nothing in Europe or in the cups and the football being eye bleedingly bad.

Who knows what happens next.... to be honest I think there's a good chance we will be worse. But at least it'll be interesting to find out!!

4 minutes ago, StandFree1982 said:

Every chance the first guy we appoint post McInnes will be crap. 

lt might be the guy after, or the guy after him that gets us where we want to be. 

With DMC at the helm we were sort of meandering along. Steady enough, but ultimately not exciting enough, or good enough to keep fans interested. 

It's fine to be apprehensive but I wouldn't worry about it, personally. 

9 minutes ago, StandFree1982 said:

if you are under the age of about 40, then all you have really known is inept appointment after inept appointment.  McInnes being the exception... although still an extremely limited manager himself, the ability to complete his role in a semi-competent manner, tricked many into thinking he was some sort of messiah, before the last couple of seasons descended completely. 

Supporters of a certain age have become conditioned to failure - many now expect it.

Let's hope Cormack has a significantly better strike rate than Milne!  ...that shouldn't be a hard!

• Upvote 4
6 minutes ago, StandFree1982 said:

Not apprehensive at all. We needed to twist and its even one month too late. We had a fucking decent chance of third if he'd done it after the two Livvie games.

Fantastic league record but we need to make 15 signings in the next 9-10 months and he is not the man for that at this point.

7 minutes ago, Sonoftherock said:

if you are under the age of about 40, then all you have really known is inept appointment after inept appointment.  McInnes being the exception... although still an extremely limited manager himself, the ability to complete his role in a semi-competent manner, tricked many into thinking he was some sort of messiah, before the last couple of season descended completely. 

Supporters of a certain age have become conditioned to failure.

Let's hope Cormack has a significantly better strike rate than Milne!  ...that shouldn't be a hard!

Aye, being almost 40 it started with Millers first season for me then basically been shite since, barring the Calderwood European run (despite only winning 1 game, which is unthinkable these days) and the cup win, till it came to McInnes where he stopped the rot. 

McInnes got what he wanted on the field. Play his team his way with no forced interruptions/pushing players on from the support. Play to his conservative tactics & as a result the players were lackluster & not interested & got away with that attitude with no fan pressure when they done so.

same has been apparent with a lot of sides in European football for most part. Early in season there were plenty big score lines but not so much in latter parts. Teams are getting a lead & protecting it more & no added pressure from stands to keep pushing. It was a dream for McInnes &he was getting the results he & his tactics deserved as a result 

12 minutes ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

Aye. It is a risk. McInnes is just about a guarantee of qualifying for Europe. Have never seen that in another manager, getting into Europe was usually a remarkable season. But it also became a guarantee of doing nothing in Europe or in the cups and the football being eye bleedingly bad.

Who knows what happens next.... to be honest I think there's a good chance we will be worse. But at least it'll be interesting to find out!!

He could hardly fail to get us in Europe given the competition & budget differences ffs.

yet he gave it a damn good try this season

9 hours ago, CalgaryDon said:

Just seen the news. I'm really sad to see him go. Its the most successful and stable period i've seen while supporting Aberdeen. Personally, I'm gutted he's gone. 

I've absolutely no idea who is available that is going to improve upon McInnes. The new manager needs to be backed BIG time in the summer transfer market. Massive rebuild required.

Sorry bud... but that's the wishy washy sort of attitude that has seen us accomplish just one cup in nigh on 30 years.

Stability is great for perhaps a season or two, in order to stop the rot. But you need an upward trajectory thereafter or you're simply treading water. With the budget and facilities at any Aberdeen manager's hands, we should be seeing far greater returns than McInnes delivered - perhaps an additional cup or two and absolutely qualification for group stages of Europa League.

Does the new manager have to be back BIG time? Have Hibs, Killie, Livi, Motherwell..... backed their manager BIG time with a huge transfer budgets? Nope.

Bottom line - Doc and McInnes ran out of ideas - the probably did so after Hayes left for Celtic. As it happens, they inherited the guts of a decent side and the reliance on Robson and Flood in midfield and the speed in which we could counter, was really just the perfect blend. He tried to recreate that with Wylde, GMS and many others and a host of midfielders who never got anywhere close to the industry of Robson... but he fell way short and although we were solid enough, lacked both the belief and ability to break Celtic's domination when it counted (or push through the last quali rounds of EL).

I'm not at all sad - I gave up my ST 2 seasons back as couldn't justify the spend on watching what was a loborious side in reverse gear. And after the hun interview, that was really when DM lost his mojo.

No one man is bigger than AFC. Lets not forget that.

22 minutes ago, ericblack4boss said:

Stewart Milne is the affront to donsiders

What about the good Milne did for the local economies of Alford, Colpy, Keig, and Strathdon by way of job creation and employment in the Donside area, and indirectly boosting secondary industries such as retail, tourism, and hospitality in that area as well? 

He's nae a bad lad min. 

(I'll go and fetch my tin hat now?.)

• Dildo 1

If he’d stayed our shiteness would have continued this season for sure.

At least now they cannot really get any worse. 3rd is pretty much still out of reach as he was left in the position a good few games too long to save that. He’s weakened the team mentality too much even for a ‘playing to impress potential new manger’ mentality that will catch Hibs. 

Next season & hopefully an exciting summer is where it begins 

• Dildo 1
4 minutes ago, ConsiCanBoogie1903 said:

With DMC at the helm we were sort of meandering along. Steady enough, but ultimately not exciting enough, or good enough to keep fans interested. 

We were meandering along and fans were getting disgruntled however as long as he was getting results, he was probably going to stay in a job.

If he had managed to get 1-0 wins instead of all the 0-0 we've had, we would have been on the coat tails of Celtic and hardly anybody would have complained about the brutal football. When the results fell off the cliff, he was effectively finished.

3 minutes ago, shut up meg said:

We were meandering along and fans were getting disgruntled however as long as he was getting results, he was probably going to stay in a job.

If he had managed to get 1-0 wins instead of all the 0-0 we've had, we would have been on the coat tails of Celtic and hardly anybody would have complained about the brutal football. When the results fell off the cliff, he was effectively finished.

Plenty people correctly pointed out that scraping 1-0 wins when we were playing so poorly was just papering over the cracks.

The run of form that’s seen McInnes go has been coming for a long time.

• Upvote 1
10 minutes ago, Matt Armstrong's Dog said:

What about the good Milne did for the local economies of Alford, Colpy, Keig, and Strathdon by way of job creation and employment in the Donside area, and indirectly boosting secondary industries such as retail, tourism, and hospitality in that area as well? 

He's nae a bad lad min. 

(I'll go and fetch my tin hat now?.)

What the fuck  job creation has he done at Colpy, the macgas compound and Stuart Barclay probably employ more folk in Colpy

6 minutes ago, Andy_123 said:

Plenty people correctly pointed out that scraping 1-0 wins when we were playing so poorly was just papering over the cracks.

The run of form that’s seen McInnes go has been coming for a long time.

I know, I was a critic of DMC however I'm just stating that a lot of fans were accepting shitshows as long as we were winning.

The minute we went into freefall, he lost a lot of his core supporters.

1 minute ago, Dons21 said:

Think the list of candidates could change quite dramatically if we wait until the summer. Sheerin & Simmy until then, then reassess and see what’s available then. The current list of names does not inspire confidence.

Aye. There will be a few on here wishing Alex Neil the sack.

I'm not sure who else would be in the category of jumping to the final five if they were free?