Welcome back Stephen Glass

2 hours ago, Studebaker-90 said:

He needs to stick with 2 up top because Ramirez certainly isn’t capable of playing the lone striker 

I thought it was a no brainer to play Watkins in behind Ramirez today. Don't really care if Watkins wasn't fit. He's nae a winger so hopefully Glass figures that out before too long.

13 minutes ago, Tord31 said:

I thought it was a no brainer to play Watkins in behind Ramirez today. Don't really care if Watkins wasn't fit. He's nae a winger so hopefully Glass figures that out before too long.

Watkins said he is fully fit. Both in general & ‘match’ fit. So I guess it was just a case of Glass wanting to play his new players but couldn’t justify to himself to start them all. He started Samuels so his only decision was between Longstaff & Watkins 

just didn’t have balls to start all three. 
On past forward/hold up play I would have worked in Watkins as well though & it could have made the difference

Still think he needs to sign a proven/solid (leader) CH. preferably a pacey one. No idea if Bates can be that but we need another anyway so got to aim high.

Anything to get McCrorie out of defence please & hopefully that can settle Gallagher into doing a decent job back there. 

Something clearly missing between our defensive mid & central defence because they just look completely out of place & amateurish. 

34 minutes ago, Tord31 said:

Has Watkins been injured as he’s done a pre season and was playing for Cardiff recently so unsure how he isn’t fit unless carrying a knock 

18 minutes ago, NEM said:

Has Watkins been injured as he’s done a pre season and was playing for Cardiff recently so unsure how he isn’t fit unless carrying a knock 

He was playing for cardiff in pre season and in the league cup so i assume he would have been ok. Even if only thinking 45 then i would have started him

Wasn’t hard for Glass to improve on the shite squad McInnes left him with & for most part I am reasonably pleased with the additions but he has really fkn dropped the ball in defence. Pretty much put all his faith in Gallagher being a one man hero in middle of defence & hoping the hype/excitement of the two young FB’s will take away the focus on the shambolic defensive work this window.

Not writing off Bates at all yet but we are a joke if gamble on just TWO fit actual CH’s until next window. Have we not seen enough from McCrorie in defence to know he is no fkn use there? Just like his two previous clubs knew.

Well he's improved dramatically on the last months of the McInnes reign, both in terms of results and style of play. Did better in Europe (albeit at a slightly lower level) but gambled on playing a largely second choice eleven v Raith in the League cup and got his fingers badly burned. His reasoning was sound though and he will have learned from it (mainly that the second choice eleven aren't good enough)

What he hasn't done is to shift out the quite obvious failures from the previous regime. Can't really blame him for most of this as they have a combination of poor skills and high wages. Resulting in a midfield squadron where at least 50% of the cohort will struggle to get much game time beyond the odd 15 minute substitute appearance here and there. On the upside, a fair number are now into the final year of their contracts and should be offski next summer. That said....Glass did hand the quite obviously finished McGinn an extra year's contract and the quite obviously crippled Devlin a 6 month contract (who promptly crippled himself further)......bizarre thought process.

His loan signings are puzzling too. Jenks, apart from one stunning goal has done the square root of fuck all. Samuels.....too early to judge, an up and down performance in his debut. And then we come to Longstaff. Quite obviously brought in with the expectation Ferguson was leaving. Quite how Glass intends shoehorning both of them into the side alongside Brown is a mystery to me.

They all want to do the same job. Brown as captain seems assured of his place most weeks, save for getting rested now and again due to his age. Newcastle will want Longstaff played as much as possible to get the first team experience he needs (plus we need to justify the hefty portion of his EPL wages we will be covering). And Ferguson needs to be in the shop window, he's made it plain he wants to be elsewhere but needs to play to attract bidders in January.

I'm not going to touch on the Joe Lewis situation for now. Other than to say that Glass must be aware there is a situation.

He's getting a B from me grade wise. 

• Upvote 2
12 hours ago, fine-n-dandy said:

Wasn’t hard for Glass to improve on the shite squad McInnes left him with & for most part I am reasonably pleased with the additions but he has really fkn dropped the ball in defence. Pretty much put all his faith in Gallagher being a one man hero in middle of defence & hoping the hype/excitement of the two young FB’s will take away the focus on the shambolic defensive work this window.

Not writing off Bates at all yet but we are a joke if gamble on just TWO fit actual CH’s until next window. Have we not seen enough from McCrorie in defence to know he is no fkn use there? Just like his two previous clubs knew.

?

Where do you find the energy to post the same thing 20 times per day?  

• Upvote 5
50 minutes ago, Ten Caat said:

Well he's improved dramatically on the last months of the McInnes reign, both in terms of results and style of play. Did better in Europe (albeit at a slightly lower level) but gambled on playing a largely second choice eleven v Raith in the League cup and got his fingers badly burned. His reasoning was sound though and he will have learned from it (mainly that the second choice eleven aren't good enough)

Come on to fuck, we beat a team in a 1000 seater stadium to get to where we got in Europe. You can't say that is better than beating Groningen, Rijeka, random decent Macedonian team or random decent Bosnian team. Then out of the cup at home to Dundee United losing 3-0 and getting knocked out by Raith. 

It was time for McInnes to go. 100%.... and if nothing else Glass has made games more entertaining than the eye bleeding stuff served before. But I can't think of any particularly decent improvements with regards to results so far

The cup defeat to United was with 100% McInnes' squad

No teams, random or otherwise, from Macedonia or Bosnia are "decent"

We aren't getting beaten (and frequently totally horsed) on an almost weekly basis, which was a highlight of the dying months of McInnes' reign. Which is the period I'm mainly comparing Glass to.

2 hours ago, Ten Caat said:

The cup defeat to United was with 100% McInnes' squad

No teams, random or otherwise, from Macedonia or Bosnia are "decent"

We aren't getting beaten (and frequently totally horsed) on an almost weekly basis, which was a highlight of the dying months of McInnes' reign. Which is the period I'm mainly comparing Glass to.

Aye, with Glass as the manager. We finished well clear of United in the league last season. Shouldn't be losing 3-0 at home to them.

The team from Macedonia, Shkendija, made the Europa play offs 3 times, which is of course 3 times more than Aberdeen. Siroki were fairly decent, on par with the crap we played before Qarabag this season anyway.

We weren't getting horsed on a frequent basis under McInnes either. We finished 4th and were competing for 3rd right till the end of the season. Problem was most scores were 0-0 and we only finished at the top end of the table cause everyone else was somehow worse.

It shouldn't be hard to improve on that, but so far Glass hasn't really. Cup exits and European little league performance were poor. Very very early days but he's made no improvement results wise for me. Heaps of time though, 

Difficult to judge really. And I'm not counting anything that happened when he took over last season.

He gets pass marks for me for attempting to play a better style of football, the training by the sound of things is much better, he's brought Ramsay and MacKenzie into the first team which McInnes would never have done, and we've had a good start to the season in the league.

On the other hand though,  the recruitment for me could probably have been a bit better balanced (we have more midfielders than we had before and until this week no cover up front or in defence) and it feels like Cormack has helped bail him out here after telling us we were already over last seasons wage budget then sanctioning the incomings this week. The defence has been a shambles, the Raith cup game was terrible, and the performance v Qarabag in what was our biggest game in years was very poor. 

I'm cautiously optimistic that if we can get through this season without any huge disasters we'll be in good hands with Glass though. Given the chance to shift on the rest of the deadwood, bring in a couple more capable replacements and a with decent amount of time to train with the players to play his way I think we'll be heading the direction we all want.  

1 hour ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

Aye, with Glass as the manager. We finished well clear of United in the league last season. Shouldn't be losing 3-0 at home to them.

The team from Macedonia, Shkendija, made the Europa play offs 3 times, which is of course 3 times more than Aberdeen. Siroki were fairly decent, on par with the crap we played before Qarabag this season anyway.

We weren't getting horsed on a frequent basis under McInnes either. We finished 4th and were competing for 3rd right till the end of the season. Problem was most scores were 0-0 and we only finished at the top end of the table cause everyone else was somehow worse.

It shouldn't be hard to improve on that, but so far Glass hasn't really. Cup exits and European little league performance were poor. Very very early days but he's made no improvement results wise for me. Heaps of time though, 

Some of the Horsings under mcinnes were little Shetland ponies. And glass is going in the same direction. (Raith rovers,  Hearts, Ross county, and thumped by the horseback fighters from Asia.)

My main concern with Glass is the apparent disorganisation of the team.

We cough up loads of chances to the opposition, no matter who it is.

That’s not just due to the defence, the midfield seems non-existent sometimes & that’s despite him playing numerous central midfielders (another big bear).

We seem to be a bit bull at a gate sometimes, with players all over the place positionally.

It’s early days & there’s loads of new players to bed in, but that’s my main concern, the lack of organisation & a style of play. 
We may well take a few humpings off the scum. 

1 hour ago, Millertime said:

Sorry, the comparison is not with mcinnes last 6 months

He was a dead man walking and had his best players sold without being allowed to replace them 

Top 4, semis and finals - anything less, it was a mistake

Thats bollox.

Hornby, Hendry, and Kamberi all brought in to cover Cosgrove (sold,) Watkins (injured) and Anderson (loaned)

He'd lost the hunger and appetite, thats why he was a dead man walking  

1 hour ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

My main concern with Glass is the apparent disorganisation of the team.

We cough up loads of chances to the opposition, no matter who it is.

That’s not just due to the defence, the midfield seems non-existent sometimes & that’s despite him playing numerous central midfielders (another big bear).

We seem to be a bit bull at a gate sometimes, with players all over the place positionally.

It’s early days & there’s loads of new players to bed in, but that’s my main concern, the lack of organisation & a style of play. 
We may well take a few humpings off the scum. 

That's fair and Glass acknowledges this is an opportunity to work with the players tactically having not really had the opportunity with the turnover and multiple games.

The focus was on recovery and prep between games.

Now he has an opportunity to work on some things

Just now, NEM said:

Far too early to judge Glass imo.  See where we are come the next transfer window

Bollox. 
so if he had just signed all women you would be of same opinion that he gets free pass?

I said I’d give him two windows yes. But he has made a complete cock of the central defensive side of things so far. That was blatantly obvious over a month ago, so his & Cormacks BS bravado of group stage football & top100 was either approached with complete incompetence or they were just speaking pish

3 minutes ago, Millertime said:

How's it too early to judge?

He has signed 11 players and we are about what, 3 or 4 months in?

It's too early to say if he is the right answer or not, agreed, but its not too early to say he is under achieving 

Not even two months into the season. Last season was a write off given the state McInnes left us in