Proposed new stadium, by Aberdeen beach

19 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

We could use a new stadium (or a redeveloped Pittodrie) but only if it doesn't put the club at risk in the long term..  The latest figures of c£75m for a 16,000 stadium just don't make financial sense.  Would be paying that off for decades.

I'd rather watch a good team in a shit stadium than a shit team in a good stadium.

Final paragraph spot on.

Best quote of day, if not week or quite possibly the season. 

41 minutes ago, BaaBaaRedSheep said:

Final paragraph spot on.

I find that some of the most vocal people wanting a new stadium are those that would never set foot in it.  Just a vanity project to some who want something that looks good on tv or in aerial photos.

I was on board with a new stadium when we wanted to build something approaching the same capacity as Pittodrie. But now the talk is of downsizing and building something that is smaller than Pittodrie but could cripple the club financially for decades.  If it's smaller then can we not use the same site and replace stand by stand as and when we can afford it?

If it's £75m for a new stadium and we only get £15m for the Pittodrie site you have to fucking wonder if its a viable project.  That's an awful lot of Scott McKennas and Lewis Fergusons.

7 hours ago, zeroisgod76 said:

It is. The only people that building at the beach suits is the minority who want to be able to stagger from a pub before the game and stagger back into the pub after. AFC isn't here to prop up businesses in the city centre. Kingsford will be a lot easier to get to and from than the beach for the majority of people.

Many people like the day out experience you get by going into the city pre and post match . I was for Kingsford but if there is an opportunity to remain in the city it must be taken 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2
40 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

I find that some of the most vocal people wanting a new stadium are those that would never set foot in it.  Just a vanity project to some who want something that looks good on tv or in aerial photos.

I was on board with a new stadium when we wanted to build something approaching the same capacity as Pittodrie. But now the talk is of downsizing and building something that is smaller than Pittodrie but could cripple the club financially for decades.  If it's smaller then can we not use the same site and replace stand by stand as and when we can afford it?

If it's £75m for a new stadium and we only get £15m for the Pittodrie site you have to fucking wonder if its a viable project.  That's an awful lot of Scott McKennas and Lewis Fergusons.

It’s not viable, not in the slightest. 

At least we have solved the problem of pittodrie not being able to host European nights (remember that bullshit) by deciding the bottom 6 is where it’s at. 

1 hour ago, aberdeen1970 said:

We could use a new stadium (or a redeveloped Pittodrie) but only if it doesn't put the club at risk in the long term..  The latest figures of c£75m for a 16,000 stadium just don't make financial sense.  Would be paying that off for decades.

I'd rather watch a good team in a shit stadium than a shit team in a good stadium.

Well said, stay at pittodrie, refurbish bit by bit cash allowing. Look at the money the club would save.    Supporters only have to sit on their arses for 90 minutes on a plastic seat.      Look at the days when they would have had to stand on railway sleepers with cinders in between , leaning on a metal bar, for support.  

2 hours ago, aberdeen1970 said:

Assuming the club are taking the environmental stance for 2 reasons, obviously the environment but also the fact they probably can tap into some sort of funding. 

I seem to remember people saying we couldn’t afford the training ground and it’s bought and paid for. 

The point of moving into a new stadium is more than just having a fancy stadium, didn’t they estimate conservatively that it would bring in an extra 1.5-2m a season and lower the running costs? I’m more than happy for the club to mortgage the remaining sum for 20 years if they think they can make that and more once we move in and still have 1 of the “best” stadiums in Scotland. Now it’s probably not the best time to trust the club but it would be business suicide if they were to build the stadium and not estimate a vast uptake in revenue. 

The shiter the stadium the more chance of wifies, kids and metro sexual "men" going so its Pittodrie and keep it functioning for me.

Fuck the drone views, fuck the cafe, fuck the kidz zone, fuck the roof garden, fuck the street food vegan grub stalls,, fuck the shuttle buses, fuck it lights up at night.

If we have to move, move to the beach............ or Tilly.

23 hours ago, Betty Swallicks said:

I presume you don't know what a teuchter is as they mostly want it at Kingsford as its close to the mart of some other fucking ridiculous reason.

Calling Pittodrie "the dung heap" is the sign of a clueless cunt too (possibly a hun).

57 minutes ago, Ernie McCracken said:

Get it built oot in Inverurie next to the Mart. Fit a rare day oot that would be. Stroll over to bid on some beasts, a bowl of tattie soup then across to the fitba. 

Ta-Dah!!!!!

3 hours ago, slippers said:

Assuming the club are taking the environmental stance for 2 reasons, obviously the environment but also the fact they probably can tap into some sort of funding. 

I seem to remember people saying we couldn’t afford the training ground and it’s bought and paid for. 

The point of moving into a new stadium is more than just having a fancy stadium, didn’t they estimate conservatively that it would bring in an extra 1.5-2m a season and lower the running costs? I’m more than happy for the club to mortgage the remaining sum for 20 years if they think they can make that and more once we move in and still have 1 of the “best” stadiums in Scotland. Now it’s probably not the best time to trust the club but it would be business suicide if they were to build the stadium and not estimate a vast uptake in revenue. 

Cormack ended up paying about 2/3 of the training ground when it turned out no one else would. 

Nothing about a new stadium adds up now with the cost being astronomical. A capacity only 200 higher than our average attendance (tickets sold) in 2017/18. The club not financially healthy as before. The Pittodrie land value probably falling off a cliff. In 2016 we were building a £40m stadium with an £18m sale of Pittodrie.   

We could afford to build a stadium like 4 separate catalogue stands like St Mirren or Hibs newest stand, but clearly the fuss over it and marketing and expectation of something spectacular won't let that happen now. 

7 hours ago, aberdeen1970 said:

Spot on. Talk of a new stadium for £75m is pie in the sky talk. Never going to happen.

I am pretty sure in 10 years time we will still be playing at Pittodrie and still talking about a new stadium that will never materialise. And i'm ok with that Scottish football isn't exactly awash with state of the art stadiums there just isn't the money  to justify it the vast majority of stadiums in this country are very poor even the newer stadiums like St Mirren's look like dogshit. I seriously doubt Dundee will build their new stadium either.

As you say I'd rather watch a good team in a crap stadium than a crap team in a good one. 

19 minutes ago, Shinniesta said:

Spot on. Talk of a new stadium for £75m is pie in the sky talk. Never going to happen.

I am pretty sure in 10 years time we will still be playing at Pittodrie and still talking about a new stadium that will never materialise. And i'm ok with that Scottish football isn't exactly awash with state of the art stadiums there just isn't the money  to justify it the vast majority of stadiums in this country are very poor even the newer stadiums like St Mirren's look like dogshit. I seriously doubt Dundee will build their new stadium either.

As you say I'd rather watch a good team in a crap stadium than a crap team in a good one. 

I’d rather watch a good team in a good stadium 

15 hours ago, redstrummer said:

Many people like the day out experience you get by going into the city pre and post match . I was for Kingsford but if there is an opportunity to remain in the city it must be taken 

Pretty much my stance. Kingsford would've been extremely handy for me, but like you say, if an opportunity to remain in the city then go for it.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
15 hours ago, redstrummer said:

I get that but being at Kingsford won't stop that. Maybe mean they'll need to leave the pub an hour earlier before the match and won't get back in the pub until an hour later after but they can still get that 'experience'.

10 minutes ago, zeroisgod76 said:

I get that but being at Kingsford won't stop that. Maybe mean they'll need to leave the pub an hour earlier before the match and won't get back in the pub until an hour later after but they can still get that 'experience'.

That was my take on it too when it looked like Kingsford was the only option , but now there is a potential option to remain in the city. I think it is a far better day out experience and long term benefits the club 

24 minutes ago, redstrummer said:

That was my take on it too when it looked like Kingsford was the only option , but now there is a potential option to remain in the city. I think it is a far better day out experience and long term benefits the club 

Well we will see what happens. Aberdeen City Council have already screwed the club over with regards to Loriston, i fully expect them to do exactly the same again with this beach plan.

This is just getting peoples hopes up when the reality is its never going to happen.

Same as a few others for me..... Kingsford would definitely be more convenient, but I’d far rather we stay at or near to Pittodrie. Essential to stay in the city. 

Are there any examples of clubs moving away from their traditional city/town based stadium to a new-build stadium out in the sticks (ie a few miles outwith the city) and keeping their fanbase onside ?

• Upvote 1
53 minutes ago, redone said:

Same as a few others for me..... Kingsford would definitely be more convenient, but I’d far rather we stay at or near to Pittodrie. Essential to stay in the city. 

Are there any examples of clubs moving away from their traditional city/town based stadium to a new-build stadium out in the sticks (ie a few miles outwith the city) and keeping their fanbase onside ?

West Ham moved 3 miles to their new stadium, didn't do them any harm, albeit they are situated in a huge metropolis

Wimbledon moved 50 miles to Milton Keynes(and changed name 3 years later). Didn't go down well with their fans but they've built up a completely new fanbase, not huge but around a couple of thousand on average bigger than what newco Wimbledon are getting.....EDIT and if they can get themselves promoted to the Championship, only goal difference keeping them out the automatic place, you'd imagine it will get bigger 

Clyde moved about 15 miles from Rutherglen to Cumbernauld. Wasn't too popular with their fans either but hasn't really affected their average attendance which was and remains pretty dismal

Stop farting about spending money or having the idea of building new stands on a run down decrepit Pittodrie. 
Face facts, it’s served it’s purpose and had its day. If the nostalgic ‘remainers’  are struggling to leave, then hand a picture on your bedroom wall or buy a brick when the bulldozers come in.

The Tottenham stadium is full to capacity every week. To their fans, WHL is a thing of the past. 
They’ve evolved and moved on and so should we. 

A 17,000 seater is all that’s required, preferably doon at the beach. 
Season Ticket sales would also increase, based on a reduced capacity. Atmosphere would also increase against shite like Livingston, and ST Johnstone etc.

• Haha 1
3 hours ago, zeroisgod76 said:

LOL

2 hours ago, redone said:

No they tend to be disasters - Darlington, Coventry and Bolton spring to mind

1 hour ago, Ten Caat said:

West Ham moved 3 miles to their new stadium, didn't do them any harm, albeit they are situated in a huge metropolis

Wimbledon moved 50 miles to Milton Keynes(and changed name 3 years later). Didn't go down well with their fans but they've built up a completely new fanbase, not huge but around a couple of thousand on average bigger than what newco Wimbledon are getting.....EDIT and if they can get themselves promoted to the Championship, only goal difference keeping them out the automatic place, you'd imagine it will get bigger 

Clyde moved about 15 miles from Rutherglen to Cumbernauld. Wasn't too popular with their fans either but hasn't really affected their average attendance which was and remains pretty dismal

Tourist league so wouldn't make much difference.  I'd wager most West ham fans would rather have stayed put at the Boleyn ground though.

MK Dons are a plastic farce of a club, terrible example.

As you say Clyde are tinpot with 2 men and a dog at their games regardless.

6 minutes ago, Robin Askwith said:

Stop farting about spending money or having the idea of building new stands on a run down decrepit Pittodrie. 
Face facts, it’s served it’s purpose and had its day. If the nostalgic ‘remainers’  are struggling to leave, then hand a picture on your bedroom wall or buy a brick when the bulldozers come in.

The Tottenham stadium is full to capacity every week. To their fans, WHL is a thing of the past
They’ve evolved and moved on and so should we. 

A 17,000 seater is all that’s required, preferably doon at the beach. 
Season Ticket sales would also increase, based on a reduced capacity. Atmosphere would also increase against shite like Livingston, and ST Johnstone etc.

They built the new ground out the back of the old one.  They physically couldn't have gotten any closer so no change to matchday routine, no sitting on shuttle buses for 2 hours etc.

• Upvote 1

How much money has the club wasted over the past couple of decades on ‘feasibility studies’ planning & fancy video mock ups of new white elephant grounds? 

All that wasted cash could have been spent on playing budget.

Pretty sure I remember reading one year they had spent £600k on one of the planned projects 

3 hours ago, redone said:

Meadowbank Thistle. 
A roaring lion of a success ?

3 hours ago, redone said:

Brighton and hove Albion