Aberdeen 1 - 2 Celtic

1 minute ago, Betty Swallicks said:

Our central defenders are pish. Tims will score a couple.

2-2.

The sooner Considine is back the better or I'd even consider McKenzie going across to add some Aberdonian steel to the weakling centre halfs. 

Its something I've contemplated.

A back three of Bates, McCrorie and MacKenzie, with Ramsay and Hayes as wingbacks.

Maybe this is a game for Gallagher if in a back three. The back three, backs to the walls performances is where he stood out for Motherwell and Scotland. In the games where we've been dominant and expansive, he's been shown up if there's more space he has to operate in.

12 minutes ago, afc1903mad said:

Its something I've contemplated.

A back three of Bates, McCrorie and MacKenzie, with Ramsay and Hayes as wingbacks.

Maybe this is a game for Gallagher if in a back three. The back three, backs to the walls performances is where he stood out for Motherwell and Scotland. In the games where we've been dominant and expansive, he's been shown up if there's more space he has to operate in.

Jonny Hayes struggled with the wing back role last season. 

We're better using him further forward where he can be a bit more explosive in areas where he can hurt the opposition. 

It was painful watching him and Kennedy running up and down the line with their wee legs last year. 

10 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

Jonny Hayes struggled with the wing back role last season. 

We're better using him further forward where he can be a bit more explosive in areas where he can hurt the opposition. 

It was painful watching him and Kennedy running up and down the line with their wee legs last year. 

Your comparing MacKenzie / Hayes with Kennedy / Hayes??????

Hayes did good for us at LB before so possible could do a better job at LWB with McKenzie behind him.

This would also free up Hedges to be the floating player behind the strikers

We need to change things up a little so why not: -

Woods

Bates      McCrorie      MacKenzie

Ramsay   Ferguson   Brown     Hayes

Hedges

Ramirez           Samuels

Alternatively if wanting to dominate the midfield swap out Samuels for Longstaff to play in with Ferguson and Brown

I’d play 3 at the back. 

Is Watkins going to be available?

Woods

Bates Gallagher McCrorie

Ramsay Ferguson Brown Hayes

Hedges 

Ramirez Watkins 

However, I think Glass was happy (understandably) with how we were doing until Collum sent off Jenks, so I think he’ll go with a 4-3-3 again and make minimal changes 

Woods

Ramsay Bates McCrorie MacKenzie 

Ferguson Brown Ojo 

Hedges Ramirez Hayes 

28 minutes ago, afc1903mad said:

Your comparing MacKenzie / Hayes with Kennedy / Hayes??????

Hayes did good for us at LB before so possible could do a better job at LWB with McKenzie behind him.

This would also free up Hedges to be the floating player behind the strikers

We need to change things up a little so why not: -

Woods

Bates      McCrorie      MacKenzie

Ramsay   Ferguson   Brown     Hayes

Hedges

Ramirez           Samuels

Alternatively if wanting to dominate the midfield swap out Samuels for Longstaff to play in with Ferguson and Brown

Hayes struggled at wing back. I think it's a bad move. Left wing fine. Left back OK if you must. Having to run an entire wing on his own?  No thanks 

1 hour ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

I’d play 3 at the back. 

Is Watkins going to be available?

Woods

Bates Gallagher McCrorie

Ramsay Ferguson Brown Hayes

Hedges 

Ramirez Watkins 

However, I think Glass was happy (understandably) with how we were doing until Collum sent off Jenks, so I think he’ll go with a 4-3-3 again and make minimal changes 

Woods

Ferguson Brown Ojo 

Hedges Ramirez Hayes 

Ojo?

24 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

Woods 

Brown           Ferguson

Hedges. Watkins. Hayes 

Ramirez

Hard to make an argument for anyone else at the moment. 

Much like Gurr and Jenks my initial view of Samuels is that he is useless 

My opinion another thumping from Celtic.  4-0. 

5 hours ago, aberdeen1970 said:

Woods 

Brown           Ferguson

Hedges. Watkins. Hayes 

Ramirez

Hard to make an argument for anyone else at the moment. 

Much like Gurr and Jenks my initial view of Samuels is that he is useless 

Pretty sure he’ll play 3 centre mids. 
In your team above, Ojo if fit, or Longstaff will come in instead of Watkins & play 4-3-3. 

13 minutes ago, ConsiCanBoogie1903 said:

The team going forward has to be: 

Lewis 

Bates Gallagher McCrorie

Ramsay                            McKenzie 

Brown

Ferguson         Longstaff 

Ramirez  Hedges 

Clearly the weakest part of Glass' team is central defence, having 3 there with Brown sitting should give us adequate cover, this would allow the most dangerous part of our team, the full backs, to push as high as is required also. 

Hedges, in my team, would be given a free role off of Ramirez to try link with the young full backs, and in front of Brown you have two young players in Ferguson and Longstaff trying to break into the box etc. 

He'll never change it, just what I would do with my vast Football Manager experience. 

Not a bad side but the 3 central midfielders are all a bit too similar types of players 

Just now, ConsiCanBoogie1903 said:

I agree but it's what we've got. 

Ferguson can get goals, Longstaff I dunno. Their legs would be more important. It's clear as day where the weaknesses and strengths are, and it's time we started playing to them, without us waiting for it all to 'click.' 

With the way Celtic play, with the inverted full backs that pick up narrow spaces in midfield, I've got a horrible feeling if we stick to our current formation we'll get slaughtered. They've been on a sticky run but the players they have are more than capable of destroying this defence. 

Aye they’ll be delighted they play us next 

1 hour ago, ConsiCanBoogie1903 said:

I agree but it's what we've got. 

Ferguson can get goals, Longstaff I dunno. Their legs would be more important. It's clear as day where the weaknesses and strengths are, and it's time we started playing to them, without us waiting for it all to 'click.' 

With the way Celtic play, with the inverted full backs that pick up narrow spaces in midfield, I've got a horrible feeling if we stick to our current formation we'll get slaughtered. They've been on a sticky run but the players they have are more than capable of destroying this defence. 

This is undoubtedly true - in one sense the expectations for this game are set very low - if we get something out of it most folk will be slightly surprised - many are just hoping we avoid a pasting - if SG has a philosophy of football he wants to try then this is as good a game to do it. McInnes would sit in and hope to hold out an get a lucky break - it rarely if ever worked and we usually lost 3-0 or so. If SG does the same then he has bottled even his own justification and so he needs to make a game of it - it's probably our best chance - if they have a weakness it's in defence - I don't think we have the squad to exploit it - no width or mobile strikers (unless Samuels is one of those) but we should use such assets as we have to take it to them and try and play on the front foot. We may well still lose but it will be true to his philosophy - play a back five with 4 or 5 central midfielders and a lone striker and we might as well not have bothered binning McInnes. - and we need to rest Joe and give Woods the game - a horsing against the Tims will not do Joe's head any good. 

My expectations for this game are not set high - getting anything out of it would be grand and there is always a fighters chance.

2 hours ago, ConsiCanBoogie1903 said:

The team going forward has to be: 

Lewis 

Bates Gallagher McCrorie

Ramsay                            McKenzie 

Brown

Ferguson         Longstaff 

Ramirez  Hedges 

Clearly the weakest part of Glass' team is central defence, having 3 there with Brown sitting should give us adequate cover, this would allow the most dangerous part of our team, the full backs, to push as high as is required also. 

Hedges, in my team, would be given a free role off of Ramirez to try link with the young full backs, and in front of Brown you have two young players in Ferguson and Longstaff trying to break into the box etc. 

He'll never change it, just what I would do with my vast Football Manager experience. 

It's worth a try. 

I'm not convinced that the three of them at the back will be any better than just playing the two but if you don't try.... 

2 hours ago, aberdeen1970 said:

It's worth a try. 

I'm not convinced that the three of them at the back will be any better than just playing the two but if you don't try.... 

For me

Woods

Bates. Gallagher. Mckenzie

Ramsay. Brown mcrorie. Hayes

Hedges

Watkins.  Ramirez

Ferguson  needs a wakeup call to get his backside in gear again

35 minutes ago, Stevdon1962 said:

For me

Woods

Bates. Gallagher. Mckenzie

Ramsay. Brown mcrorie. Hayes

Hedges

Watkins.  Ramirez

Ferguson  needs a wakeup call to get his backside in gear again

We do miss McCrorie's legs in midfield despite him not being as technical as some of the others. 

• Upvote 1