Dundee 2 - 1 Aberdeen

Just now, Don_Corleone said:

Lewis

Ramsay McCrorie Bates Hayes

Ferguson Brown Longstaff

Hedges Ramirez Watkins

I think that's how he'll line up - probably stick to this stupid 433 thing, but hopefully Hedges and Watkins can make it work a bit better. 

Really not sure how it'll go - I'm thinking we really should win this game even if we are crap, but as others have mentioned we've played a lot of crap teams recently and somehow managed to lose by being crapper. If we fail to win there'll be uproar... if we lose I predict a riot.

We could field a worse team than that to be fair. 

As long as Gurr, Jenks and Samuels are nowhere near the starting lineup I'll be happy 

1 minute ago, aberdeen1970 said:

We could field a worse team than that to be fair. 

As long as Gurr, Jenks and Samuels are nowhere near the starting lineup I'll be happy 

Absolutely, on paper it's a strong starting 11. Games aren't played on paper though eh...

I think a 4231 would probably work better, or a 352 - I think Ramirez needs someone closer to him and things could (possibly) begin to click a bit better. Whether thats a number 10 likes Hedges in a 4231 system, or a strike partner like Jet in a 352 (only if JET actually stays close to him and doesn't end up standing about in midfield). At the moment the boy is far too isolated - plain to see unless you have a Glass eye.

2 minutes ago, Roberto said:

I don't get the Samuels hate. He's raw but direct as fuck.

I don't think he should start every game admittedly but he is far from being a problem in the side.

He's a downgrade on McLennan which is saying something. Both just fast and direct but with little clue what they're actually meant to be doing. McLennan very occasionally turns in a performance that tricks you into believing he might materialise as a football player - yet to see that from Samuel Austin.

1 minute ago, Roberto said:

I don't think he's a downgrade, is he long term solution, not yet but there are little signs.

McLennan is fucking shite however and doesn't have a future here.

They both seem to have the same attributes to me - ie they're fast and direct. They also have the same deficiencies - an inability to cross properly, and often seem to just run straight off the park, and have very little game intelligence. McLennan is bigger and has chipped in with a few goals, which gives him the edge in this terrible competition. I'd rather neither of them were in the team to be honest, but maybe Samuels will prove me wrong.

Just now, Don_Corleone said:

Absolutely, on paper it's a strong starting 11. Games aren't played on paper though eh...

I think a 4231 would probably work better, or a 352 - I think Ramirez needs someone closer to him and things could (possibly) begin to click a bit better. Whether thats a number 10 likes Hedges in a 4231 system, or a strike partner like Jet in a 352 (only if JET actually stays close to him and doesn't end up standing about in midfield). At the moment the boy is far too isolated - plain to see unless you have a Glass eye.

Aye I'd like to see a 4231 as well but the issue is who plays centrally behind the striker. 

We've got no one who is a natural fit there.   I'd say Hedges but he seems to like to do his work off the wing 

19 minutes ago, Roberto said:

I don't get the Samuels hate. He's raw but direct as fuck.

I don't think he should start every game admittedly but he is far from being a problem in the side.

I think if Glass had signed a heap of quality players and then chucked in Samuels as a promising youngster bonus  ball then people might be more forgiving. 

As it stands Samuel is just another in a long list of shite signed by Glass, as such its hard to tell if he has been brought in as a punt on a raw youngster for the future or if he is meant to impact the team now. 

37 minutes ago, afc1903mad said:

Lewis has performed below par recently, but he’s still a superior keeper to Woods.

He was rightly dropped, but given there’s also been additional time for the international break, we should play who’s been the better keeper in training.

A confident Lewis is superior to Woods but can two weeks of training be enough to restore his confidence as it looked shot last few times he has played. 

7 minutes ago, Hoofball said:

A confident Lewis is superior to Woods but can two weeks of training be enough to restore his confidence as it looked shot last few times he has played. 

Nae sure min.

He was rightly dropped, but when is the right time to reintroduce.

arguably, today will be better than the next three games

34 minutes ago, Don_Corleone said:

He's a downgrade on McLennan which is saying something. Both just fast and direct but with little clue what they're actually meant to be doing. McLennan very occasionally turns in a performance that tricks you into believing he might materialise as a football player - yet to see that from Samuel Austin.

I’ve seen nothing to suggest he’s a downgrade on McLennan. He’s not played well in well over a year.

26 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

Aye I'd like to see a 4231 as well but the issue is who plays centrally behind the striker. 

We've got no one who is a natural fit there.   I'd say Hedges but he seems to like to do his work off the wing 

It should be Watkins playing centrally with hedges out wide. In fact fuck it go 4 1 3 2 with wAtkins up top. It’s only fuckin Dundee.

4 minutes ago, afc1903mad said:

Nae sure min.

He was rightly dropped, but when is the right time to reintroduce.

arguably, today will be better than the next three games

Depends if he has a worldie on his return. Would prefer that to be in one of those three games coming up than against Dundee where Woods should be focused on stopping Lewis getting the starting spot back.

24 minutes ago, Hoofball said:

Having no inside information on how he was training before being dropped I can’t say.

Would you reinstate him or stick with Woods.

Chopping and changing goalies rarely has a positive impact. 

It's normally the sign of a desperate manager and also a sign that neither of your goalies are good enough. 

Which again begs the question. 

Why, when it was clear that Lewis was in a bad run of form last season and had been dropped, did Glass extend Woods' contact for 2 years rather than bring someone in who was better equipped to challenge for a first team place?  

The signs were all there that Woods wasn't good enough. His kicking was slightly better but that was it, Lewis trumps him in every other department. 

4 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

It's normally the sign of a desperate manager and also a sign that neither of your goalies are good enough. 

Why, when it was clear that Lewis was in a bad run of form last season and had been dropped, did Glass extend Woods' contact for 2 years rather than bring someone in who was better equipped to challenge for a first team place?  

The signs were all there that Woods wasn't good enough. His kicking was slightly better but that was it, Lewis trumps him in every other department. 

Probs can't afford to have two goalies on decent  wages, and other areas needed strengthened. 

My guess

2 hours ago, thurso said:

Which bars in dundee are good for a pre match pint or two with fellow Aberdeen fans 

Go up cleppy road. I dunno if folk still go to the ambassador. Enjoy min, jealous. 

10 minutes ago, ConsiCanBoogie1903 said:

Probs can't afford to have two goalies on decent  wages, and other areas needed strengthened. 

My guess

Yet McInnes had Lewis, Cerny and Rogers on the books for a couple of seasons.

Must be the same situation with the strikers as well then. 

We seem to have plenty budget for slow midfielders though. 

13 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

Doesn’t help an already shaky defence chopping and changing either.

Wouldn’t say it’s a the sign of a desperate manager. Lewis deserved to be dropped, he had been horrendous for several games and not just against St Mirren.

He didn’t have the funds to sign a keeper to challenge Lewis as had bigger problems in the depleted squad, which I will add he didn’t address correctly.

Don’t remember Lewis being dropped by Glass last season, didn’t Lewis get injured allowing Woods to play.