January 2022 transfer window

7 minutes ago, sooth_stander said:

Given Mowbray was on the premises in July, I very much doubt it. I think he was involved in other deals, which is a huge concern.

And I don’t just blame him or Glass, it’s Gunn and Cormack too.

Huge window, this. Hit rate has to be 100% or near as damn it.

Agree, as we still have the 3rd place title to play for & a Scottish cup ?

4 minutes ago, starryfish said:

Unfortunately the most important person couldn't see what everyone else could see.

At least they're not fucking about clinging to the hope that these players will come good. 

A bit like the early years of McInnes, - if you're not good enough you're out.  The main area of concern is that they ever thought these players would be good enough in the first place. 

Time for Mowbray to earn his corn. 

Great news if Samuels and Gurr are off. 

Should never have been brought in in the first place. Serious misjudgement of the quality required, even if as back up. 

Remember when they said that Samuels was a loan with an agreed fee to make it permanent?  Scary stuff that not only did they think he was good enough but they also had potential designs in keeping him longer term.  You could tell the first time he touched the ball that he didn't have the basics. 

And the Gurr will surprise people comments from Glass was amazingly amateur stuff. 

I'm hopeful they will have learned now what the level required is. But they should really have known that by the summer after being in place for a few months. 

14 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

Great news if Samuels and Gurr are off. 

Should never have been brought in in the first place. Serious misjudgement of the quality required, even if as back up. 

Remember when they said that Samuels was a loan with an agreed fee to make it permanent?  Scary stuff that not only did they think he was good enough but they also had potential designs in keeping him longer term.  You could tell the first time he touched the ball that he didn't have the basics. 

And the Gurr will surprise people comments from Glass was amazingly amateur stuff. 

I'm hopeful they will have learned now what the level required is. But they should really have known that by the summer after being in place for a few months. 

The problem for me with Samuels was that the manager at his previous loan club said they thought they could play him out wide because of his pace but it became apparent very quickly he wasn't up to it. So what did we do? Bring him in and play him out wide. It's seriously amateur stuff. If Samuels was a recommendation of Mowbray i'm not very hopeful we'll unearth any gems this window. 

4 minutes ago, AyrshireSheep said:

The problem for me with Samuels was that the manager at his previous loan club said they thought they could play him out wide because of his pace but it apparent very quickly he wasn't up to it. So what did we do? Bring him in and play him out wide. It's seriously amateur stuff. If Samuels was a recommendation of Mowbray i'm not very hopeful we'll unearth any gems this window. 

Aye, who watched him play and thought he'd be a good potential permanent signing? 

1 minute ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

My abiding (probably only) memory of him is us attacking in a game at Pittodrie, towards the Beach End,  he has the ball on the left wing, he crosses the ball in, massively over hits it & sets up a counter attack for the opposition. 

First game he came on he was given the ball wide for his first touch. He stopped the ball. Looked up and changed his direction. Then put his head down and ran like fuck in a straight line without looking up. 

53 minutes ago, Mr Brightside said:

It's positive that we are getting rid quick and not persevering with players who are not up to standard. The big question is can we upgrade now? Are the young players good enough to step up to these bit part roles?

Even if our youngsters are completely pish they still won’t be any worse than these wasters we are ditching

7 minutes ago, Geoff_Tipps said:

Given all those being punted, it makes Glass' comments in August about the new signings even more embarrassing. Something about lining up all the signings and people acknowledging how good they were.

He's hardly going to make comments along the lines of "we are just not sure how good this lad actually is because all we have is 3rd party comments about him and we have not actually checked him out in person" now is he! Which is most likely what actually happened ?

He has to at least try to justify why he is bringing someone into the squad.

• Upvote 1
5 minutes ago, For Fecks Sake said:

He's hardly going to make comments along the lines of "we are just not sure how good this lad actually is because all we have is 3rd party comments about him and we have not actually checked him out in person" now is he! Which is most likely what actually happened ?

He did say as recently as December that he thought they had a good summer window. Source - https://www.footballscotland.co.uk/spfl/scottish-premiership/stephen-glass-confirms-aberdeens-january-22354416.amp

4 minutes ago, For Fecks Sake said:

He could have said though that we'd got one or two in on recommendation and we were going to take a closer look at them. 

But, as he'd worked with Gurr before and still brought him in, I suspect he might have believed some of them were up to the job. 

Naive maybe for not doing due diligence himself in some cases , hopefully he's learned his lesson. 

2 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

He could have said though that we'd got one or two in on recommendation and we were going to take a closer look at them. 

But, as he'd worked with Gurr before and still brought him in, I suspect he might have believed some of them were up to the job. 

Naive maybe for not doing due diligence himself in some cases , hopefully he's learned his lesson. 

So how the fuck does scouting actually work then? Surely to fuck we send competent scouts to matches to watch someone a few times (nae relying on those promotional videos which makes everyone look amazing) taking notes as to first touch, running, visibility etc.

Or is that just being too sensible ?

1 minute ago, For Fecks Sake said:

So how the fuck does scouting actually work then? Surely to fuck we send competent scouts to matches to watch someone a few times (nae relying on those promotional videos which makes everyone look amazing) taking notes as to first touch, running, visibility etc.

Fuck knows min.  Previously managers would go and watch players in the flesh before committing to signing them but it appears a lot is done by just scouts, analysing stats and watching videos these days. 

9 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

Exactly this. Clearly underestimated the quality of the SPFL if he thought Gurr, a guy who he knew all about from Atlanta, was good enough for us.

Hopefully the recruitment has been taken out of his hands now and Mowbray is a bit more clued up. Although if he has been involved in some of the recruitment in summer then it's not been a good start for him.

31 minutes ago, For Fecks Sake said:

Much of it is or was done via Wyscout.

44 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

Fuck knows min.  Previously managers would go and watch players in the flesh before committing to signing them but it appears a lot is done by just scouts, analysing stats and watching videos these days. 

I think the whole chain of command, so to speak, needs clarifying. How does the overall structure work, when it comes to recruitment? Does Glass identify areas that need strengthened and pass on the requirements to Mowbray? And what influence does he then have on the subsequent selection of the player?

And does Cormack have a part to play in recruitment? Seems like he does. Why?

Fuck, even Fergie fucked up a few signings along the way (Andy Harrow springs to mind)  but on the whole, his hit rate was great, based on the old structure of the manager having 100% control over recruitment.

It’s clear to me that Glass is having new players foisted upon him, and he neither has the authority, the balls or ability to say no.

Not that that absolves him from any blame.