Scotland vs Moldova & Denmark - 12/11 and 15/11

26 minutes ago, Roberto said:

Stewart at Sunderland would have made more sense based on current form.

Ralston although limited also on current form should be in there (obviously Ramsay but he is injured).

Same shit different squad.

They will win and get to play offs but if he's going to pick the favourites and not take risks going to the World Cup, they'll be home early once more.

In fairness the starting 11 without Hanley picks itself almost. Don’t think this boy from Stoke would change a game however.

2 hours ago, Roberto said:

McLean has been pretty shit and he is keeping Gilmour out the team.

Patterson not playing. O'Donnell been shit and red carded at weekend.

Ferguson hasn't been great.

Russell and Stewart IN form right now but na go with Dykes (banned for the important game and will play in meaningless game if Scotland win).

Nisbet not in form and just read the boy Brown's stats.

I think you're kidding yourself a bit BBB.

He’s picked near enough the same squad every time. They obviously do well in training and get on with each other. They’ve got themselves into a position we haven’t seen Scotland in at this stage of a qualifying group for decades….

im kidding myself cause I’m not surprised he’s not changing it for the last couple of games? This Scotland team has momentum for the first time in ages. Loads of changes just to bring in guys like Ralston and Stewart would have been very surprising! Sticking with what’s worked is not surprising.

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, Roberto said:

And in the bigger games, therein lies the problem.

Well to me anyways. I don't think the squad is strong enough in back up to change games.

If Scotland get through the play offs (I think unlikely) then the World Cup is going to be the same way the Euros went.

I wish to be wrong.

Drawing against the finalists and playing competently and competitively against the world cup finalists?

• Upvote 3
41 minutes ago, Roberto said:

Beating the giants 1-0 over in the Faroes was a brilliant result for Scottish football.

Momentum... We lucked qualification for the Euros then got ripped apart barring from England who Scotland clearly raised the game for.

Where Scotland are in the group I firmly believe it's just the nations below them are just shite. Austria aren't the team they once were.

I would be VERY surprised if they qualified for the world cup via the play offs. Monotonous football with loyalty to players not in good form will only get you so far.

I'm merely arguing the point that players in that squad aren't there on form. It's shite. Partly the reason I gave up on this international shite. That's what I meant by kidding yourself 'players have done well in recent games'. I named a few players who have been shite. 

We can make the play offs with 1 game to spare. Absolutely unheard of for Scotland.

4 points off 2nd seed & 4th seed and potentially full points off 5th & 6th seeds. Unheard of!! 

yes you listed players in poor form for their clubs but they are in decent form for their country - that’s all that matters. If there’s any players of proper quality making a case to get in then they will get in, but the fact you are referencing Ralston and Stewart confirms it’s not exactly top players knocking on the door! So keeping the togetherness in the squad is an easy decision. 

can’t argue with what Clarke is doing. I often don’t agree with his selections and formations but Scotland haven’t finished 2nd in a group since 2003. Not since 1997 for a World Cup qualifying group! Still plenty chance to fuck it up mind you 

• Upvote 1
38 minutes ago, Roberto said:

Scotland never learn anything from previous loyalties to players. There is a reason they don't qualify often.

I think the opposite with loyalty and Scotland. 

I think one of Scotland’s main issues in the past few decades is not playing younger guys. Clarke is doing that. 

how often do you see a scotland player with 60+ caps? We seem to change entire squads all the time. Littered with guys on 10 caps. I like the fact Clarke is picking the same guys and getting them experience. Will see us in good stead instead of building a new team of players in their late 20s and guffs who’ve just realised they are scottish (granted that will never end)

2 minutes ago, Roberto said:

I stand by what I said and where it'll all break down, as it always does.

There is nothing I have said that deep down everyone else knows.

Nah I’m certainly not arguing with that point. I’ll be very very surprised if Scotland qualify for the World Cup. 

There is no potential Scotland squad available that would make me think we will!! I reckon we’ll be at Germany 2024 though. Mon the Hofbräuhaus

4 minutes ago, Roberto said:

Robertson for Scotland is not brilliant.

Great player for sure but for country, steady.

Tierney superb for both.

Aye but Tierney strolls the left centre back position.  As well as giving us an extra attacking dimension on that side. 

Both deserving of their place. 

Better than leaving one out and playing the likes of Cooper instead

11 hours ago, Roberto said:

Stewart at Sunderland would have made more sense based on current form.

Ralston although limited also on current form should be in there (obviously Ramsay but he is injured).

Same shit different squad.

They will win and get to play offs but if he's going to pick the favourites and not take risks going to the World Cup, they'll be home early once more.

10 hours ago, Roberto said:

And in the bigger games, therein lies the problem.

Well to me anyways. I don't think the squad is strong enough in back up to change games.

If Scotland get through the play offs (I think unlikely) then the World Cup is going to be the same way the Euros went.

I wish to be wrong.

5 hours ago, Roberto said:

I stand by what I said and where it'll all break down, as it always does.

There is nothing I have said that deep down people don't already know.

5 hours ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

Nah I’m certainly not arguing with that point. I’ll be very very surprised if Scotland qualify for the World Cup. 

There is no potential Scotland squad available that would make me think we will!! I reckon we’ll be at Germany 2024 though. Mon the Hofbräuhaus

Even if they managed to be lucky enough to get past one team in the play off rounds there’s no danger of getting past the second one.

Scotland will be the one side every team in the play offs would have as their preferred first pick to play. 

Scotland have about as much chance of qualifying for WC as Aberdeen have making group stages of European football. At least Aberdeen have the advantage of being able to buy our way in in future though 

26 minutes ago, Roberto said:

A recent good performance doesn't mask the many games before it.

Hopeless at the Euros.

Covered a lot of ground I will give him but squandered muchos possession against Czechs and hid when the chips were down against Croatia. Those are the games that mattered on the big stage as captain.

Totally disagree. 

Scotland are doing well just now. I don’t think we will qualify for the World Cup either, it’s very hard nowadays, but there’s definitely reason to be more positive.

10 hours ago, Roberto said:

Hanley, O Donnell, Armstrong, McLean, Dykes and Nisbet.

Loyalty, when in fact they have been pretty fucking shite.

Dykes might be a little harsh, but scoring against Faroes and winning 2 out of 9 headers in a game vs Israel is not good enough IMO.

I'll give him benefit of doubt actually as I'm in full flow and just don't rate the guy but he's scoring I guess.

Trying to fit in Robertson and Tierney will cost the team (and has done) due to loyalty and not being able to make a decision on one or the other. Tierney btw cause he is better for Scotland than Robertson is, but loyal to his captain.

McTominay at the back is a weird one also but wants him in the team.

Anyways can't be arsed now wasting this much energy on international fitba. Go Scotland, woooo. Etc. 

Have you watched much of this qualifying campaign?

Hanley has been our best defender most games he’s played, and without Dykes goals we’d be nowhere near the playoffs. Robertson and Tierney have finally playing well together as well.

O’Donnell is pish, but I’m not convinced the hun Patterson is much better so Clarkes options are limited there. The rest you mention are subs most of the time.

Difficult to criticise Clarke for much in this qualifying campaign. We were never going to finish ahead of Denmark, but we could finish 2nd with a game to spare. Have we ever achieved anything with a game to spare before? 

• Upvote 1
43 minutes ago, Roberto said:

You disagree with not giving the ball away against Czechs?

Hiding against Croatia.

Unfortunately this did happen so unsure you can disagree with that.

I thought there was an over reliance on him against Czech Rep. I was at that game and it was mental how often they were passing the ball out to him from deep then just leaving him to it. It was as if they thought he'd skin 3 players and smash it into the top corner just cause he plays for Liverpool. Doesnt suit his style at all. He was better against England and in every qualifier since and I think thats due to Gilmour being in the team. Now there is another player we can pass to who will actually keep the ball. Definitely agree he was poor against Croatia. 

To see the best of Robertson the rest of the team need to be playing well. You can't rely on a player in that position to dominate a game on his own.

12 minutes ago, Andy_123 said:

Difficult to criticise Clarke for much in this qualifying campaign. We were never going to finish ahead of Denmark, but we could finish 2nd with a game to spare. Have we ever achieved anything with a game to spare before? 

Regularly achieve failing to qualify with 2 or 3 games to spare!

55 minutes ago, Roberto said:

You disagree with not giving the ball away against Czechs?

Hiding against Croatia.

Unfortunately this did happen so unsure you can disagree with that.

Disagreeing with him being shite for Scotland I can accept however I know how he performs at club level and judge him based on that.

But you disagree, and I disagree with you disagreeing, so we'll disagree to agree to agree to disagree in the disagreement of disagreeing. Agree?

I thought he was fine against the Czechs. Croatia was a bit of a battering in the end. 

Robertson has been very good for Scotland overall though. He was exceptional against Austria and Israel.

But aye, arsed.

Never heard of this latest non-Scottish player. It's the kind of thing that puts me off bothering about the national team and alienates fans. I'm not keen on that Adams guy for the same reason. Dykes is similar, but at least he's actually played in and lived in Scotland and seems to have a bit of passion about playing for the country. It's clear that some of these other guys only agree to play so they can add "International" to their CV. Johnny Russell was the man deserving the call up, but overlooked again. 

• Upvote 2
31 minutes ago, Don_Corleone said:

Never heard of this latest non-Scottish player. It's the kind of thing that puts me off bothering about the national team and alienates fans. I'm not keen on that Adams guy for the same reason. Dykes is similar, but at least he's actually played in and lived in Scotland and seems to have a bit of passion about playing for the country. It's clear that some of these other guys only agree to play so they can add "International" to their CV. Johnny Russell was the man deserving the call up, but overlooked again. 

I really don't like giving players caps who only have a Scottish grandparent. But you cannot choose where you are born, that's down to your parents so I don't have any objections to those with a Scottish parent being allowed into the international scene. I believe this guy that plays for Stoke has a Scottish mother so I'm going to accept him and hopefully he turns out to be a great addition. I'd never even heard of him before the call up so I've honestly no idea what to expect. McTominay, Dykes and Tierney all qualify through this rule.

Adams on the other hand only qualifies for us via the grandparent rule. But what is worse is that we clearly weren't his first choice. He qualifies for Antigua and Barbuda via his father but turned them down 6 years back. Scotland then approached him initially in 2017 but he turned us down as he wanted to keep his options open.....clearly England were his first choice. As far as I'm concerned he should never have been asked again. However we did and to be fair to him, he's always performed fairly well for us although Dykes has by far the better scoring record. Liam Cooper is the other player in the squad who qualifies via the grandparent rule. As I said i'm not in favour of it but to his credit, Cooper declared himself Scottish as a young loon and represented us in youth internationals at U17 and U19 levels

33 minutes ago, Ten Caat said:

I really don't like giving players caps who only have a Scottish grandparent. But you cannot choose where you are born, that's down to your parents so I don't have any objections to those with a Scottish parent being allowed into the international scene. I believe this guy that plays for Stoke has a Scottish mother so I'm going to accept him and hopefully he turns out to be a great addition. I'd never even heard of him before the call up so I've honestly no idea what to expect. McTominay, Dykes and Tierney all qualify through this rule.

Adams on the other hand only qualifies for us via the grandparent rule. But what is worse is that we clearly weren't his first choice. He qualifies for Antigua and Barbuda via his father but turned them down 6 years back. Scotland then approached him initially in 2017 but he turned us down as he wanted to keep his options open.....clearly England were his first choice. As far as I'm concerned he should never have been asked again. However we did and to be fair to him, he's always performed fairly well for us although Dykes has by far the better scoring record. Liam Cooper is the other player in the squad who qualifies via the grandparent rule. As I said i'm not in favour of it but to his credit, Cooper declared himself Scottish as a young loon and represented us in youth internationals at U17 and U19 levels

Tierneys folks moved back to Scotland before he even turned 1!! He's hardly going to turn his back on Scotland to play for an isle of man select