Scotland vs Moldova & Denmark - 12/11 and 15/11

14 hours ago, shut up meg said:

Our obsession with winning at schoolboy level is the main problem.

I played amateur football with a guy who played a few times for Scotland at under 15, 16 etc.

The boy was built like a tank at 14 and used to batter his way through the opposition.

He apparently used to score 50 odd goals a season in his youth.

The coaches were apparently delighted with him due to his scoring record and didn't work on his technical skills, once he hit late teens and the other lads caught up with him physically, he was fucked and started dropping down the leagues.

Our coaches (at all levels) have always picked average big guys who put themselves about over smaller technical guys.

Hopefully things are changing though.

They still very much have the opinion of selecting players who have better physicality stats and believe they can work on the technical skills

On 11/13/2021 at 1:30 AM, Andy_123 said:

Patterson had one of the best games I’ve seen him have…and still gave away a pen and looked a bit clumsy at times. Said before that nobody will convince me he’s better than Ramsay, a semi decent performance against a bunch of part timers doesn’t change anything.

Good to see we got the business done tonight. We aren’t a scintillating watch, but we’ve become good at getting the job done. Can’t deny Clarke has done a good job in his time in charge. 

Absolutely, Ramsay is the better player of the two and is two years younger to boot.

Ramsays unlikely to push for an international starting spot till he moves on from us sadly

1 hour ago, afc1903mad said:

Absolutely, Ramsay is the better player of the two and is two years younger to boot.

Ramsays unlikely to push for an international starting spot till he moves on from us sadly

He's unlikely to push for an international starting spot until he conclusively proves that he won't suffer cramp in the later stages of a match. Which is why, even if Ramsay had been fit right now, Ralston would still have been selected for the squad for tonight's match ahead of him. 

The loon has only just turned 18 three months back. He also (just like Patterson) is far better going forward than he is in defence. I'm certain he'll improve both his stamina and his defensive play over the next 12 months and there is a reasonable chance that he might even be improving those aspects at a club down south having earned us several million in the process. 

2 minutes ago, Ten Caat said:

He's unlikely to push for an international starting spot until he conclusively proves that he won't suffer cramp in the later stages of a match. Which is why, even if Ramsay had been fit right now, Ralston would still have been selected for the squad for tonight's match ahead of him. 

The loon has only just turned 18 three months back. He also (just like Patterson) is far better going forward than he is in defence. I'm certain he'll improve both his stamina and his defensive play over the next 12 months and there is a reasonable chance that he might even be improving those aspects at a club down south having earned us several million in the process. 

Ramsay has come on significantly with regards to his fitness since the start of the season, where I agree, it was unlikely to see him finish out a match.

Even after he comes back from injury and proves his fitness to his doubters, despite having more game time, I fear he'll still be viewed as behind Patterson in the pecking order,

My point remains, that Attacking wise and Defensively, Ramsay is already more advanced than Patterson in my opinion.

4 minutes ago, afc1903mad said:

Ramsay has come on significantly with regards to his fitness since the start of the season, where I agree, it was unlikely to see him finish out a match.

Even after he comes back from injury and proves his fitness to his doubters, despite having more game time, I fear he'll still be viewed as behind Patterson in the pecking order,

My point remains, that Attacking wise and Defensively, Ramsay is already more advanced than Patterson in my opinion.

Yeah but Patterson has came in and done well enough at full international level to prove his worth so it's his place to lose. 

Ramsay has more chance of usurping O'Donnell in the short to medium term 

12 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

Yeah but Patterson has came in and done well enough at full international level to prove his worth so it's his place to lose. 

Ramsay has more chance of usurping O'Donnell in the short to medium term 

Do you subscribe to playing a Cheek benchwarmer ahead of a player regularly playing, is on form and in general is just a better footballer?

22 minutes ago, afc1903mad said:

Do you subscribe to playing a Cheek benchwarmer ahead of a player regularly playing, is on form and in general is just a better footballer?

I don't subscribe to anything. 

But generally if someone proves they can play at a particular level and link up well with other team mates then they'll keep their place, particularly if they are scoring and assisting. 

I think Ramsay's best chance is to displace O'Donnell in the squad first then take full advantage of any opportunities he gets, same as Patterson has done. 

I think Ramsay's ceiling might be higher than Patterson due to age and opportunity to get more game time at club level but if I take my red specs off I'd have to say there's not much to choose between them at the moment.  

Not much between them ability-wise, but Patterson has proven himself at a higher level than Ramsay (simply because he's been given the opportunity) - remains to be seen whether Ramsay is ready for international football - I suspect he'd do just fine, but for the time being Patterson is the first choice right back on merit (whether we like it or not) - he's been given the opportunity and hes taken it. As the previous poster said, Ramsay needs to force his way into the squad by continuing to play well for us and improving his fitness so he can last a full 90 mins every week. Then once he's in there, he needs to take his chance the way Patterson has if he gets some minutes on the pitch. He's got plenty time to do it, so no major rush.

2 hours ago, Don_Corleone said:

Not much between them ability-wise, but Patterson has proven himself at a higher level than Ramsay (simply because he's been given the opportunity) - remains to be seen whether Ramsay is ready for international football - I suspect he'd do just fine, but for the time being Patterson is the first choice right back on merit (whether we like it or not) - he's been given the opportunity and hes taken it. As the previous poster said, Ramsay needs to force his way into the squad by continuing to play well for us and improving his fitness so he can last a full 90 mins every week. Then once he's in there, he needs to take his chance the way Patterson has if he gets some minutes on the pitch. He's got plenty time to do it, so no major rush.

I agree and understand Paterson is ahead of Ramsay, only because he was afforded the opportunity first.

If he continues to be a back-up at Rangers, then there comes a time when we should not be selecting our first choice international team from players not getting any game time

2 hours ago, afc1903mad said:

I agree and understand Paterson is ahead of Ramsay, only because he was afforded the opportunity first.

If he continues to be a back-up at Rangers, then there comes a time when we should not be selecting our first choice international team from players not getting any game time

When we sell Ramsay in January we can use a small chunk of the cash and purchase Paterson and then we can debate who is the better player. Geofanni won’t be hard to deal with hopefully.