Dante Polvara

As others have said though, we’ve deliberately tried to look to “a class above” (generous I know) to give us a chance in higher level matches like Saturdays.

Thats left us short in base level games, the ones we all describe as “should be winning.”  
You can argue the toss if we’re losing those games because our class-aboves are nothing of the sort, or simply if they are ill equipped for that type of game.  Gartenmans a good example.

For me it’s a bit of both.  I like that we’ve moved away from football luminaries like May and Main and are looking to Duk, Polvara, Sokler and of course Miovski.  But unquestionably we’ve lacked ‘dig’ as a result.

The back 5 killed us.  We all agree on that.  Shinnie and Barron haven’t quite worked meaning McGrath and Clarkson have been dragged into less attractive roles.  And zero creativity has isolated our front 3, two of whom were on the bench.  See back 5 comment for details.

In summary, balance dear boy, balance!

20 minutes ago, Johnnyred1 said:

Why should we make do with so many inconsistant performers. We are where we are because there are individuals who have continually failed to take advantage of their opportunities. Surely, we want to aim higher with a better quality of player. Bottom six and yes, we are fighting to avoid a relegation play off and yet some want to keep giving the dross a second, third and multiple chances. 

Polvara hasn't really been given any kind of run in the team to find consistency. 

He's been used as a late game substitute when it finally gets through to whoever the manager is that Barron has been hiding for 75 minutes and Shinnie is a liability. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Dildo 2
7 hours ago, MMG said:

I think people need to remember that Polvara only became a professional footballer at 21. He’s behind the curve in terms of development compared to others his age. 

That's a very good point, Dante has played 4450 minutes in his whole career to this point.  Roughly 2130 of those minutes have came at the lower levels in America where the standard is not good nor is it competitive enough.

Compare that to Shinnie, obviously he came through as a defender but in terms of minutes by the time he turned 24 he had played around 12000 minutes at the highest level in Scotland, that really highlights how far behind someone like Dante is in his development.

The encouraging thing though is that he has definitely improved from a more regular run in the side this season, I'm hopeful that he can kick on again next season.

• Upvote 9
2 hours ago, minijc said:

That's a very good point, Dante has played 4450 minutes in his whole career to this point.  Roughly 2130 of those minutes have came at the lower levels in America where the standard is not good nor is it competitive enough.

Compare that to Shinnie, obviously he came through as a defender but in terms of minutes by the time he turned 24 he had played around 12000 minutes at the highest level in Scotland, that really highlights how far behind someone like Dante is in his development.

The encouraging thing though is that he has definitely improved from a more regular run in the side this season, I'm hopeful that he can kick on again next season.

I think you just get a gut feeling about some players. I felt the same when I saw Campbell, McLennan, Anderson and Duncan. A bit like you with Robson as manager. You want it to work but deep down you know they just lack that something.

10 minutes ago, Johnnyred1 said:

I think you just get a gut feeling about some players. I felt the same when I saw Campbell, McLennan, Anderson and Duncan. A bit like you with Robson as manager. You want it to work but deep down you know they just lack that something.

Dante Polvara is a level above the aforementioned players.

His first half performance on Saturday was excellent, albeit he drifted out of the game in the second half. He never shirked his duties one iota though.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1
4 minutes ago, Matt Armstrong's Dog said:

Dante Polvara is a level above the aforementioned players.

His first half performance on Saturday was excellent, albeit he drifted out of the game in the second half. He never shirked his duties one iota though.

The point is, that he often than not gets subbed for inept performances when he does start. Those players who get the chance for a regular run have had at least 2 good games in succession to convince a manager they are worth the start. Not the required standard I'm afraid but genuinely would love to be proved wrong.

12 minutes ago, Johnnyred1 said:

The point is, that he often than not gets subbed for inept performances when he does start. Those players who get the chance for a regular run have had at least 2 good games in succession to convince a manager they are worth the start. Not the required standard I'm afraid but genuinely would love to be proved wrong.

I admire your honesty min but, at this stage, I would rather have Polvara in our starting XI than not.

He contributed his fair share to a very encouraging, heartening, and valiant team performance against that filthy cunts on Saturday.

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, minijc said:

I also think he has looked good in games in europe for example where we have played well as a team.  There is no doubt our defensive frailties have impacted our midfield domestically.  I've seen enough for a another season plus he's not going to be a big earner so worth holding onto for now 

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Johnnyred1 said:

I can see where you are coming from, I disagree though.

1 hour ago, Johnnyred1 said:

See I don't think that is true, more often than not this season polvara has been on just to carry out a specific role where he's covering ground, pressing and trying to support the lone striker, especially in Europe.

To some folk aye he looks terrible but I bet if you asked his manager or team mates they'd say he done the job that was asked of him, I personally would prefer if he was used differently where we can use his passing game more.

15 minutes ago, englishred said:

I also think he has looked good in games in europe for example where we have played well as a team.  There is no doubt our defensive frailties have impacted our midfield domestically.  I've seen enough for a another season plus he's not going to be a big earner so worth holding onto for now 

Yeah in some games he worked his arse off following what he was instructed to do.

It'll be interesting to see what happens in the next year or two, as more of the elite teams will be using taller midfielders as they all seek to have a presence in the middle, so that will obviously fall down to the smaller sides who will copy that. 

• Upvote 3
6 hours ago, minijc said:

I'm hopeful he'll be moved on.....

• Dildo 1
7 hours ago, strachanmcgheegoal said:

As others have said though, we’ve deliberately tried to look to “a class above” (generous I know) to give us a chance in higher level matches like Saturdays.

Thats left us short in base level games, the ones we all describe as “should be winning.”  
You can argue the toss if we’re losing those games because our class-aboves are nothing of the sort, or simply if they are ill equipped for that type of game.  Gartenmans a good example.

For me it’s a bit of both.  I like that we’ve moved away from football luminaries like May and Main and are looking to Duk, Polvara, Sokler and of course Miovski.  But unquestionably we’ve lacked ‘dig’ as a result.

The back 5 killed us.  We all agree on that.  Shinnie and Barron haven’t quite worked meaning McGrath and Clarkson have been dragged into less attractive roles.  And zero creativity has isolated our front 3, two of whom were on the bench.  See back 5 comment for details.

In summary, balance dear boy, balance!

Mentioning May is weird, he was a great player until his knee injury down south. He never recovered fully from that. The fact the fans were mega patient with him showed that we had seen how good he was but he just wasn’t the same player. Most of us were expecting him to kick on after a while but it just didn’t happen.

Main has always been a very limited player, all he did was bully our piss-weak defenders so we signed him. 

Agree on the back 5 though, sticking with that no matter what was ludicrous. It paid off a couple of times or so, notably in Europe which I think gave it this false validity to persevere with it. 

8 hours ago, Parklife said:

Partly culpable for both of the first two goals on Saturday and folk are describing his performance as "excellent". 

Can someone tell me what he did that was excellent? 

For the first goal? 

That is a reach. 

How was he partly responsible? 

41 minutes ago, Broken_Glass said:

What part is the lie? The part that you think I'm telling a lie or the part where I have decided not to renew? 

Or is the lie that you think my opinion on Polvara is a lie? 

I think you're a bit over the top. Polvara is raw no doubt but to cancel your season ticket over him would be ridiculous. I still think he can make it but next season will be make or break I feel under Jimmy. Theirs far worse players like Roos or Gartenmann renewing that would cause a way bigger reaction.

3 hours ago, DelMonte said:

For the first goal? 

That is a reach. 

How was he partly responsible? 

If you to be super critical (which Im not) Polvara recieves the ball and passes it back to MacDonald, he could've turned and progressed forward

Blame largely on MacDonald for getting caught on the ball 

44 minutes ago, Granite95 said:

If you to be super critical (which Im not) Polvara recieves the ball and passes it back to MacDonald, he could've turned and progressed forward

Super critical would be an understatement.

He receives the ball perfectly with his body open and there isn’t a pass. When he realises this he recycles possession. The other thing he could have done is pass it first time to Devlin but the press was already happening by Celtic. Could also have played a left footed long pass to MacKenzie which was a difficult one. He took the best option in the end.

He is not responsible one bit for that goal. 

1 hour ago, slippers said:

I think you're a bit over the top. Polvara is raw no doubt but to cancel your season ticket over him would be ridiculous. I still think he can make it but next season will be make or break I feel under Jimmy. Theirs far worse players like Roos or Gartenmann renewing that would cause a way bigger reaction.

Incorrect to say he is the only reason. 

I have stated a few times that my age is the biggest factor now coupled with how Cormack has taken us so far backwards. Retaining mediocre (at best) players like Polvara does not inspire me to give it another year before giving up. 

I feel the cold dreadfully now and at times struggle to get/stay warm sitting in Pittodrie. Another winter doesn't fill me with any joy - there really is a case for summer football and its not just to benefit the players and fixtures. 

I can still pick and choose a few games in August and September, perhaps even into October to pay at the gate then use a red tv subscription for the rest of the winter.

The Thelin appointment has finally been a positive under Cormack but to retain certain players who have ultimately been shit to average is not what's required. Id far rather we blood Marshall and see more of Milne than a guy who is turning 24 and is quite clearly not suited to Scottish football.

37 minutes ago, DelMonte said:

He receives the ball perfectly with his body open and there isn’t a pass. When he realises this he recycles possession. The other thing he could have done is pass it first time to Devlin but the press was already happening by Celtic. Could also have played a left footed long pass to MacKenzie which was a difficult one. He took the best option in the end.

Agreed on that, MacDonald should know better with his experience, rather he had jsut punted it up the park if in dobut, or even out for a throw in

Credit to the team (bar Roos, fuck him) for digging themselves out of a hole twice and not totally capitulating as we've seen many a time at Hampden

1 hour ago, Granite95 said:

Yup. He also failed to give MacDonald an angle for a return ball. 

48 minutes ago, DelMonte said:

Exactly. He could've passed to MacKenzie. 

The goal was 95% the fault of MacDonald though. 

1 hour ago, Granite95 said:

I'm afraid it was MacDonald's fault for their first goal for getting his legs tied in knots. He had ample time to pass it back to Kelle Roos, however was caught out.

There was still a huge element of luck in the goal though after Devlin or Gartenmann's superb defending to cut across and block that overrated cheating cunt Furuhashi's effort which ended up at the feet of Kuhn to stroke home.

MacDonald certainly never hid though after the event when others certainly would have done.

There is still a rawness about him which he hopefully will shake off if given a permanent start in the first XI.