Summer 2022 Transfer Window

29 minutes ago, zeroisgod76 said:

Look overseas, think outside the box. There's bound to be managers who have been reasonably succesful with smaller clubs in Europe that would have fancied the chance .

Goodwin has no better a record and has proven to be no better a manager throughout his career than David Martindale, Callum Davidson, Tam Courts, Graham Alexander or Paul Hartley. Would you have been happy if we'd appointed any of them as manager?

Like i said i genuinely hope he proves me wrong, and i'll be first to hold my hands up and admit it. I want the best for the dons and to see an entertaining and winning team on the park. If he provides that then fair play to him, nothing he's ever done previously suggests he will though.

It's been a while since you mentioned Knutsen, John 

1 minute ago, StandFree1982 said:

Based on that, you'd have taken Ebbe over Alex Ferguson 

Completely different. Ferguson did incredibly well at St Mirren, brought through some fantastic talent and was one of the brightest managerial prospects in Scottish football at the time. Aberdeen was the right club at the right time for him to build on what Billy McNeill had achieved.

If you even try to compare the 2 by suggesting that Goodwin also did incredibly well at St Mirren, brought through some fantastic talent and was one of the brightest managerial prospects in Scottish football then you're clearly deluded.

7 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

It's been a while since you mentioned Knutsen, John 

Funny i get accused of being repetitive when the old Red John line is repeated time and time and time again.

For what its worth i'd never have been daft enough to think Knutsen would ever come here. A manager destined for far bigger things.

31 minutes ago, zeroisgod76 said:

I forgot you're not allowed to have a different opinion to the clique on here.

Let me change my opinions... Goodwin is the greatest manager since Ferguson and Dean Campbell the greatest midfielder since Zidane (solely because he's a dons fan from Aberdeen and his dad's a good guy). Happy? I share all you're opinions. Can i join your gang now?

Sums you up and why people can't really be bothered engaging with you.

• Upvote 1
1 minute ago, Helmet said:

Sums you up and why people can't really be bothered engaging with you.

Haha people can't be bothered engaging with me, are you blind? All that ever happens is people engage with me, whether thats replying to or liking my posts. Like moths to a flame. Too many people on here have an un-natural obsession with me. If you don't like what i say, ignore.. its not that hard.

18 minutes ago, Ando said:

Definitely seems to be some posters on here on the Aspergers/Autism scale, endless fixation on and repetition of the same points over and over and over.

Agreed, seeing the whole 'red john' crap over and over again is so boring and repetitive. These people clearly have issues.

For what it's worth i think there was a panic on to bring a manager in quickly in an effort to salvage the season. Europe still being a realistic possibility at that time.

Goodwin certainly wasn't the most inspiring appointment, but it's academic. He is the manager and there's little to no point in dwelling on who we might have moved for instead.

Focus now should be on who Goodwin brings in on the playing side and what he can do with what will very much be his team come the start of the new season.

33 minutes ago, zeroisgod76 said:

Yes, in theory Ebbe should have been a great choice for manager but sometimes things don't work out for one reason or another.

Are you genuinely saying if someone stuck 2 managers in front of you to choose from to be Aberdeen''s manager......

One of whom who had won 4 Danish Championships, 3 Danish Cups, led Brondby to the Quarter Finals of the European Cup and later on qualification for the Champions League. Had a number of notable wins in Europe including beating Liverpool and had also managed Benfica in the Portugese League.

The other had a record that included a 3rd place finish in League 1 with Alloa followed by a subsequent play-off win, then a couple of seasons in the bottom half of the Scottish Premier League.

You would go with the second option?

Depends. As someone else pointed out Ferguson when we took him was less successful than Skovdahl when we appointed him!

My point was we failed with an appointment exactly like the one you are advocating. Also how many foreign managers in Scotland (except old firm ones with huge advantages over the rest) are successful? Not many.

The main point was some posters have the relentless negativity whereby every signing (player or manager) is "shite" and the response they give to an alternative - look outside the box.

1 minute ago, afc_blockhead said:

Depends. As someone else pointed out Ferguson when we took him was less successful than Skovdahl when we appointed him!

My point was we failed with an appointment exactly like the one you are advocating. Also how many foreign managers in Scotland (except old firm ones with huge advantages over the rest) are successful? Not many.

The main point was some posters have the relentless negativity whereby every signing (player or manager) is "shite" and the response they give to an alternative - look outside the box.

We did fail with that appointment, we've also failed with the appointments of multiple Scottish managers throughout the years.... Alex Miller, Steve Paterson, Mark McGhee, Stephen Glass. Appointing managers from the Scottish managerial merry-go-round is not a pathway to success.

If thats aimed at me then you're wrong, i'm negative about the manager but i'm not negative about every signing.

23 minutes ago, JamieMT said:

For what it's worth i think there was a panic on to bring a manager in quickly in an effort to salvage the season. Europe still being a realistic possibility at that time.

Goodwin certainly wasn't the most inspiring appointment, but it's academic. He is the manager and there's little to no point in dwelling on who we might have moved for instead.

Focus now should be on who Goodwin brings in on the playing side and what he can do with what will very much be his team come the start of the new season.

Sensible and realistic.

fucking breath of fresh air

54 minutes ago, CCB III said:

Looked up Halilović for the sake of it. Noticed on Instagram he follows Davide Grassi...

Grassi is now, according to Wikipedia, the manager of Byron Boys Club

Incredibly bizarre. 

That's a fucking great bit of info I had no idea about. Cheers Consi. 

From Parma to Byron. What a journey for the lad. Wonder if he drank in the Dancing Cairns?

1 hour ago, CCB III said:

Looked up Halilović for the sake of it. Noticed on Instagram he follows Davide Grassi...

Grassi is now, according to Wikipedia, the manager of Byron Boys Club? 

Incredibly bizarre. 

The Davide Grassi and Byron Boys Club link has been doing the rounds for a few years min.

Grassi was one of the worst ever players to play for our club. Truly awful. Who was our contact in Italy, at the time, that recommended him to Aberdeen? 

Il Duce did far less wrong but was formally executed.

21 minutes ago, zeroisgod76 said:

We did fail with that appointment, we've also failed with the appointments of multiple Scottish managers throughout the years.... Alex Miller, Steve Paterson, Mark McGhee, Stephen Glass. Appointing managers from the Scottish managerial merry-go-round is not a pathway to success.

If thats aimed at me then you're wrong, i'm negative about the manager but i'm not negative about every signing.

My wider point is foreign managers who are doing well in some backwater in the modern game, if they are worth anything they will be snapped up by a club bigger than us.

The general "think outside the box" means nothing I'm afraid.

5 hours ago, Helmet said:

Celtic speaking to Seigrist probably puts and end to that rumour?

The GK situation blew up weeks ago but it's remarkably quiet now- would like to see us bring in good competition for Lewis. 

Lewis showed towards the end of last season he's still got some life left in him as long as he's kept on his toes.

If we aren't signing a new first choice keeper, we absolutely must sign a replacement for Woods who offers absolutely no competition for the starting spot at all. He's atrocious.

47 minutes ago, styrofoamplates said:

That's a fucking great bit of info I had no idea about. Cheers Consi. 

From Parma to Byron. What a journey for the lad. Wonder if he drank in the Dancing Cairns?

Doubtful - he'd have been about 10 when it was demolished to make way for the nursing home ?

1 hour ago, Broken_Glass said:

Ohhhh the fucking irony!!!!!

?????

I've come to the conclusion that on here there are is 1/ a small handful of genuinely decent posters..... 2 /a large quantity of absolute fuckwits, the kind that are like schoolyard bullies and gang up on anyone who is different from them or has a different opinion and 3/ the rest are somewhere in the middle, can be decent sometimes and absolute dicks on other occasions.

You however Broken_Glass, apart from being in group 2 are also the biggest hypocrite about. You have the audacity to call someone else a negative depressing little troll. You do realise by clicking on your profile its possible to see all your previous posts? From a quick glance at the first couple of pages of your posts, all within the space of a couple of weeks.....

On Glass (and Cormack)...

Should never have been given the job - reaping what we sow.... Sooner he's gone the sooner AFC can start looking forward again....Yet some still believe in Glass - better off believing in Santa and the Easter bunny!....I've worried about the AFC management from the day he was appointed, abysmal appointment. Glass shouldn't be anywhere near Aberdeen management.....Fingers crossed you're correct and he proves me wrong. I just have absolutely zero faith in our current management. ( in case you didn't realise that)... Absolutely zero in the way of an agenda. 100% distrust of the chairman and the manager.... Cormack is guilty for Glass. He is guilty of selling the fans a nonsense "vision" of improved football and excitement... Both chairman and manager talk a good game, both appear incapable of backing up what they preach.

On Polvara when he signed despite you not knowing anything about him and having never seen him play...

Whoop whoop an American amateur. Go Glass..... No it's the reality of a dreadful manager appointment and a useless link up with Atlanta to satisfy the chairman. Amateur league US players now. Unbelievable. And to think some moaned when we signed Steve Tosh!!!... Negative? I call it realistic. This is a 21 year old who hasn't played a professional game.... I'm sitting comfortably thanks. US College football - correct, that sums it up. Glass and Cormack what a future we have in store. My excitement can't be contained.

FYI i don't disagree with you on the Glass comments, but its more the fact you have the gall to call me negative when every single one of these comments came from you.

• Upvote 2