The Goodwin effect!

22 hours ago, Andy_123 said:

The maths would suggest it hasn't;

21/22 in the league - conceded 46 goals in 38 games = 1.21 goals per game

22/23 in the league so far - conceded 6 goals in 4 games = 1.50 goals per game

But if you try to be more positive you will often concede! Last season 41 goals in 38, so far 7 in 4 games! These figures stack up slightly better than above. I don’t mind the mindset you score 3 we will get 4! Would rather 4-3 wins than 0-0 draws 

44 minutes ago, Andy_123 said:

All if's and buts. Scales was signed knowing fine well he couldn't play against Celtic, so that excuse doesn't fly.

Last seasons defence didn't exactly play every game together either. Ramsay, MacKenzie and Gallagher were in and out of the squad, McCrorie played every position at times and Hayes was filling in as well.

Goodwin said in his first interview when he arrived the defence was the easiest thing for him to sort out, and it's still looking pretty ropey more often than not.

Last seasons defence was horrible in any configuration (post Consi injury). This seasons defence already seems pretty solid in it's optimal configuration.

Goodwin was extremely naive to say that and I think he's admitted as much since then.

12 minutes ago, 20two20 said:

Last seasons defence was horrible in any configuration (post Consi injury). This seasons defence already seems pretty solid in it's optimal configuration.

Goodwin was extremely naive to say that and I think he's admitted as much since then.

I reckon when Goodwin made that comment he might have been meaning that he could quite easily set up a team that is simply defensive and hard to break down , but at the expense of giving up any genuine attacking intent.

However , he knows that his remit here is not just to get us back up to the top end of the table with  improved results, but to do so with a more attacking outlook.

On 8/22/2022 at 11:20 AM, Andy_123 said:

The maths would suggest it hasn't;

21/22 in the league - conceded 46 goals in 38 games = 1.21 goals per game

22/23 in the league so far - conceded 6 goals in 4 games = 1.50 goals per game

LOL - you can't judge a defence with so many new players on the basis of their first four league games together.

Of all areas of the pitch, that's the one where most time is needed to gel and establish relationships.

My point is that we now have the quality of players required. I wouldn't even hope for them to be a smoothly-functioning unit at this early stage.

50 minutes ago, Just Dandy said:

LOL - you can't judge a defence with so many new players on the basis of their first four league games together.

Of all areas of the pitch, that's the one where most time is needed to gel and establish relationships.

My point is that we now have the quality of players required. I wouldn't even hope for them to be a smoothly-functioning unit at this early stage.

You could argue that we have beat the 2 worst teams in the league. It’s been a disappointing start but feel like their was enough positives on Saturday to see us go into a the Livi game with optimism we will bag another 3 points. Games like Motherwell will happen from time to time. We win our next 3 games and I think our fans will really start to get behind the manager and team.  

52 minutes ago, Just Dandy said:

You said the defence has "undoubtedly" been shored up. I'm just pointing out that it hasn't been yet.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, slippers said:

You could argue that we have beat the 2 worst teams in the league. It’s been a disappointing start but feel like their was enough positives on Saturday to see us go into a the Livi game with optimism we will bag another 3 points. Games like Motherwell will happen from time to time. We win our next 3 games and I think our fans will really start to get behind the manager and team.  

You could argue that but as per usual you would be wrong . You are aware of the Utd St Mirren score on Saturday.

8 minutes ago, Ke1t said:

I feel like this team won't be struggling to stave off relegation, and that's an improvement. 

Lowered expectations, and all that. 

Well if McInnes’ one goal in ten or whatever it was followed by Glass’ soul destroying shitfest isn’t enough to lower expectations nothing will.

I predict an up and down season with more good than bad when things click.

Happy to take that and at  least get some enjoyment out of it all

• Upvote 1

If we're going to improve it's not rocket surgery to say that we have to put some winning performances together. 

A McInnes side had the handy knack of both winning games when we had our backs to the wall, and putting winning runs together. Glass and Goodwin sides haven't had that strength....so far. 

Livi, Ross County, Huns and Hibs in the next 4 games. A strong Dons side...say the one from 5 years ago....would take a minimum 7 -most likely 9- points from these games. 

If we're serious about being 3rd or 4th in the league, that's what we need to do. 

1 hour ago, Schapenneuker said:

If we're going to improve it's not rocket surgery to say that we have to put some winning performances together. 

A McInnes side had the handy knack of both winning games when we had our backs to the wall, and putting winning runs together. Glass and Goodwin sides haven't had that strength....so far. 

Livi, Ross County, Huns and Hibs in the next 4 games. A strong Dons side...say the one from 5 years ago....would take a minimum 7 -most likely 9- points from these games. 

If we're serious about being 3rd or 4th in the league, that's what we need to do. 

I think we would of had 10 or 12 points if we had a team like one from 5 years ago. Hopefully we will get that many points again 

On 8/23/2022 at 10:54 PM, slippers said:

When did the dons last win 3 in a row in the league? 

likely finish 7 or 8th, that’ll be an improvement. 

We’re just another novelty team in a two team league now anyway 

4 hours ago, Poodler said:

When did the dons last win 3 in a row in the league? 

9 months ago, start of December last years... Livingston, St Mirren and St Johnstone.

4 hours ago, Poodler said:

We’re just another novelty team in a two team league now anyway 

Agreed, Rangers win last night was the final nail in the coffin. With the money those 2 are now going to make there is no chance any other team will compete with them in the foreseeable future. Been a joke of a league for nearly 40 years now and no sign of that changing unless those 2 fuck off and create their own little 2 team league where they can play each other 30 times a season and leave the rest of us to get on with it.

2 hours ago, zeroisgod76 said:

9 months ago, start of December last years... Livingston, St Mirren and St Johnstone.

Agreed, Rangers win last night was the final nail in the coffin. With the money those 2 are now going to make there is no chance any other team will compete with them in the foreseeable future. Been a joke of a league for nearly 40 years now and no sign of that changing unless those 2 fuck off and create their own little 2 team league where they can play each other 30 times a season and leave the rest of us to get on with it.

Who?

Sad thing is that if the two of them ever did find another league to fuck off to, they would just leave Colt Teams in the Scottish League that would then be allowed in the top flight.  Scottish Club owners are so desperate for their cash they would allow it.

Surprised we won 3 on the bounce last season! 

6 hours ago, zeroisgod76 said:

3 hours ago, Poodler said:

Surprised we won 3 on the bounce last season! 

Fwends ?

• Haha 1
4 hours ago, AllyDon said:

Sad thing is that if the two of them ever did find another league to fuck off to, they would just leave Colt Teams in the Scottish League that would then be allowed in the top flight.  Scottish Club owners are so desperate for their cash they would allow it.

But they wouldn’t be allowed to play in European games

Just now, Sooper-hanz said:

The league hasn’t been a joke for yearly 40 years though. 

Maybe 37 years ago we didn’t think it was a joke, in hindsight Murray (and Souness) buying the league in the late 80’s and their 9 in a row was the beginning of the end of anyone having a chance of winning the league other than those 2 ever again. 111 trophies won in that period, Celtic and Rangers have 87 of them. A joke league.

1 hour ago, zeroisgod76 said:

Maybe 37 years ago we didn’t think it was a joke, in hindsight Murray (and Souness) buying the league in the late 80’s and their 9 in a row was the beginning of the end of anyone having a chance of winning the league other than those 2 ever again. 111 trophies won in that period, Celtic and Rangers have 87 of them. A joke league.

We were competing for it on the last day 31 years ago at least get your arithmetic right. Where the fuck did 37 years come from. You are slipping up stato 

2 minutes ago, Kilgore Trout said:

You would try and argue black is white . We went into the last game in 91 ahead. It takes a big man to accept he is wrong 

I know… I was there when we beat St Johnstone and they lost to Motherwell to put us top. The fact is we didn’t win it though and it’s been 37 years of them 2 winning the league. 1 season of us being close doesn’t change that fact or make Scottish football any less of a joke.