The Luis Lopes Thread

2 hours ago, RAZOR said:

Miles Storey managed it from less than a yard against Caley in 2017 at Pittodrie. Litany of shite strikers.

Early signs of 'Duk' don't look promising. Might be a better option on the wing. Read elsewhere he was a 'pish' Josh Magennis, if such a thing is possible.

At least with Josh Magennis, towards the end of his time with Aberdeen, he had an end product.

Lopes, at this moment in time, is like a dog chasing a tennis ball. I sincerely hope he proves me wrong but I doubt it.

Lopes = a cross between JET and a slow ferret.

17 minutes ago, Matt Armstrong's Dog said:

At least with Josh Magennis, towards the end of his time with Aberdeen, he had an end product.

Lopes, at this moment in time, is like a dog chasing a tennis ball. I sincerely hope he proves me wrong but I doubt it.

Lopes = a cross between JET and a slow ferret.

Has your somewhat premature assessment been coloured by any extraneous factor ?

7 hours ago, Geoff_Tipps said:

How much did we spend on Duk? Early days I know but he certainly wasn't scouted on his technical ability. 

Technique is something you have or you don't, it's a natural ability, it generally brings a cool and composed aura to even the youngest of footballers and something that can only be harvested if it's there. 

I suspect Duk is going to be a headless chicken type character that more often than not will miss the easiest of opportunities, however, will score the odd worldy which will be out of character and take even him by surprise. 

Its a shame as with a name like Luis Lopes you expect something special. It might actually be why he prefers to be called Duk, a way of managing expectations. 

Rory Fallon ?

4 hours ago, Matt Armstrong's Dog said:

He did? 

Got handed a 1 year deal by mcinnes and never even got half way through it before being loaned out then released. 

made a very good career for himself though. Might have worked out ok for us…. But certainly not at the expense of Adam Rooney 

9 hours ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

He did? 

Got handed a 1 year deal by mcinnes and never even got half way through it before being loaned out then released. 

made a very good career for himself though. Might have worked out ok for us…. But certainly not at the expense of Adam Rooney 

I might be making this up, but did they not even try to turn him into a right back at one point? Like you, I don't recall much of an end product. 

32 minutes ago, Rico1903 said:

I might be making this up, but did they not even try to turn him into a right back at one point? Like you, I don't recall much of an end product. 

Josh, for all his limitations, has made a decent career out of not all that much. 

88 games in the championship with Hull over the last few years and 24 goals is a decent record in a tough league. And 67 international caps, 8 goals, and European championship appearances is not to be sneezed at. 

He was never a superstar, but he's a wholehearted player and it's hard not to like a guy that makes the very, very best out of fairly limited talents. 

Guest findlay_1903
16 hours ago, RAZOR said:

Miles Storey managed it from less than a yard against Caley in 2017 at Pittodrie. Litany of shite strikers.

Early signs of 'Duk' don't look promising. Might be a better option on the wing. Read elsewhere he was a 'pish' Josh Magennis, if such a thing is possible.

I’m still scratching my head how he didn’t score that one. Would of been a different story if it was from his early caley days, he was miles better then. ?

1 hour ago, Rico1903 said:

Yep. Started as a goalkeeper. Then was a striker. Then a right back. Then a striker again. Then a European championship international  legend all of a sudden. 

a likable player though. Not sure if he still drinks his own pish

Duk looked interesting enough in the Raith game - looked direct and fast, and willing to try the unusual. All good attributes. 

Absolutely no point judging him based on anything from the Celtic game though. He was isolated up front in a game where we hardly had the ball and were punting long balls forward, usually nowhere near him. 

Probably be a couple of months down the line before we can really assess whether he's going to be any use.

29 minutes ago, Don_Corleone said:

Probably be a couple of months down the line before we can really assess whether he's going to be any use.

Well, you would think that......but you’re underestimating the perceptive powers of a fair few posters on here. Some of them can tell how useless a player is based only on the team he’s come from.

Red tinted glasses podcast where he is the main topic of conversation with a guest who is an expert on all things Benifica gives an insight into what he might be all about and why ihe might not be completely up to speed fitness wise if you can put up with the 2 goons who host it. No apologies if you pair post on here you are fucking rank.

• Haha 2
8 hours ago, redone said:

Well, you would think that......but you’re underestimating the perceptive powers of a fair few posters on here. Some of them can tell how useless a player is based only on the team he’s come from.

Folk writing off Duk based on a late sub appearance away to Celtic when he's clearly unfit is a new (low) bar

31 minutes ago, Kilgore Trout said:

Red tinted glasses podcast where he is the main topic of conversation with a guest who is an expert on all things Benifica gives an insight into what he might be all about and why ihe might not be completely up to speed fitness wise if you can put up with the 2 goons who host it. No apologies if you pair post on here you are fucking rank.

I actually am starting to warm to them... and I'm digging their style.

One lad looks like a happy Sir Clive Sinclair, the other looks like Jesse Heiman with a struggling pedo-tash. 

Don't tell me that juxtaposition isn't a deliberate act on their part. That's Hollywood-level. 

Am I over the slightly posh affectations they hang on the Aberdeen accent? 

No I'm not. 

But they're solid Dons fans with something to say, and that's terrific. 

1 minute ago, Ke1t said:

I actually am starting to warm to them... and I'm digging their style.

One lad looks like a happy Sir Clive Sinclair, the other looks like Jesse Heiman with a struggling pedo-tash. 

Don't tell me that juxtaposition isn't a deliberate act on their part. That's Hollywood-level. 

Am I over the slightly posh affectations they hang on the Aberdeen accent? 

No I'm not. 

But they're solid Dons fans with something to say, and that's terrific. 

You are right I will take it back . My fault for watching it with unrealistic expectations