The Luis Lopes Thread

Aye good luck to him. The Benfica B team would probably win the spl over here. 
I reckon Duk Ramirez & miovski will rattle a few in between them. 

4 hours ago, TopDon said:

Excited to see him in action, but seems a bit mad that we've paid a (seemingly) decent chunk for a guy that we might not even play that often. 

I think this shows confidence in the business model we've taken on now, namely blend up and coming talent like him with experienced, honest pros like Stewart. 

Lopes seems to be a bit lower down the production line than the others so, if we have to wait to see him, I won't assume the worst. 

3 hours ago, Dandiesmin68 said:

Aye good luck to him. The Benfica B team would probably win the spl over here. 
I reckon Duk Ramirez & miovski will rattle a few in between them. 

No they wouldn’t! They finished 5th in the second division which is of questionable standard. Looking forward to seeing him. Must see something in him if prepared to pay that much and he’s possibly not a starter.

10 hours ago, Dal Riata Don said:

Good luck to the lad.

He's already been described as a work in progress so I wouldn't expect to see too much of him at first. Understudy to Ramirez and Miovski et al for the foreseeable is my guess. 

Did Goodwin not say the same thing about miovski 

2 hours ago, Dal Riata Don said:

I think this shows confidence in the business model we've taken on now, namely blend up and coming talent like him with experienced, honest pros like Stewart. 

Lopes seems to be a bit lower down the production line than the others so, if we have to wait to see him, I won't assume the worst. 

It will certainly be an interesting measure of our new scouting system, as it sounds like this was a bit more speculative than our other signings were. 

I suppose we'll have to wait until the next RedTV interview from the gaffer. Might be that he's not too far behind Miovski

18 minutes ago, TopDon said:

It will certainly be an interesting measure of our new scouting system, as (1)it sounds like this was a bit more speculative than our other signings were. 

I suppose we'll have to wait until the next RedTV interview from the gaffer. (2) Might be that he's not too far behind Miovski

(1)I completely agree.

(2)   Let's hope so.

12 hours ago, Dal Riata Don said:

Good luck to the lad.

He's already been described as a work in progress so I wouldn't expect to see too much of him at first. Understudy to Ramirez and Miovski et al for the foreseeable is my guess. 

Looking forward to Duk tales woo-hoo

I don't think we'll have splashed out possibly £400K for a guy to sit on the bench.

12 hours ago, Sonoftherock said:

That was what I took from the Goodwin interview… sounds an exciting talent, but still very raw and needs a bit of work before he’s ready. Goodwin was really careful to stress this - so hopefully the boo boys give him a bit of time!

Isn’t he 22? Yer cammy smiths etc will feel aggrieved they didn’t get such patience

8 hours ago, Poodler said:

Isn’t he 22? Yer cammy smiths etc will feel aggrieved they didn’t get such patience

Funny because when I saw this comment from Goodwin and the players age I also thought of posters on here writing off players at 21 with absolute certainty they're too old to improve.

2 hours ago, Tord31 said:

We wouldnt be giving him a 3 yr contract if we didnt think he was a player

How long a deal did we give to Gleeson and Forrester?

I'm excited about the recent signings but we've got to be realistic, right now we know fuck all about any of them really. They could turn out to be shite.

• Upvote 1
8 hours ago, Helmet said:

How long a deal did we give to Gleeson and Forrester?

I'm excited about the recent signings but we've got to be realistic, right now we know fuck all about any of them really. They could turn out to be shite.

I think the reason people are so excited is due to the nature of the recruitment. We’ve gone from years of getting shite journeyman players from England to young internationals from exotic countries like Hungary ?

what not to be excited about?

in all seriousness, if all the signings work out I’d be astonished, as it’s a bit hit/miss at our level, but the signs are looking positive. The acid test will be how we play aginst Celtic, and I’m concerned about the lack of a lch for that game and Richardson’s inability to defend. Small steps an all that, but the squad on paper looks better than last year ?

After all is the hope that kills us ?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
2 hours ago, mike1234 said:

I think the reason people are so excited is due to the nature of the recruitment. We’ve gone from years of getting shite journeyman players from England to young internationals from exotic countries like Hungary ?

what not to be excited about?

in all seriousness, if all the signings work out I’d be astonished, as it’s a bit hit/miss at our level, but the signs are looking positive. The acid test will be how we play aginst Celtic, and I’m concerned about the lack of a lch for that game and Richardson’s inability to defend. Small steps an all that, but the squad on paper looks better than last year ?

After all is the hope that kills us ?

I'm quite optimistic about the signings because the club is trying something different and spending a bit of money or players they've carefully scouted.

We just have to be realistic as well. Not all of them will work out and the length of deal offered isn't a guarantee of quality

1 hour ago, Simply Red said:

The market we shop in hasnt changed. The countries we’ve got some of them from has. 

Regardless, the players we’ve brought in will be the same standard as the players we always bring in. Hopefully be one or 2 decent players in amongst them. 

Fuck sake I’ll be hoping for a bit of an improvement else what’s the point in spending a fortune on scouting and fees just to get the same level of shite we’ve always done? ?

3 minutes ago, NEM said:

Fuck sake I’ll be hoping for a bit of an improvement else what’s the point in spending a fortune on scouting and fees just to get the same level of shite we’ve always done? ?

Are we paying higher wages than usual to these new guys? 

Have we spent a fortune on scouting and fees? 

How much more than the last few years?

Genuine questions cos i dont know and you seem to. 

15 minutes ago, Simply Red said:

Are we paying higher wages than usual to these new guys? 

Have we spent a fortune on scouting and fees? 

How much more than the last few years?

Genuine questions cos i dont know and you seem to. 

No idea the wages @Ten Caat is your man for that. 

Im assuming it’s a good bit more expensive sending Mowbray to 16 different countries than giving him petrol money to head to England aye. When was the last time we spent over a million in fees in a single window, with the likelihood we’ll be spending more before it shuts?