The Weather

17 minutes ago, thedandydon said:

Weeeeeell... technically "billions of dollars to produce just enough power to boil a few kettles" doesn't fall into what most folks would deem "commercially viable". But, again, you have to start somewhere, and we're just about on rung one of the great big ladder to viable fusion. 

I'm going to say 30-50 years before anything approaching a commercial fusion reactor can even be put on the drawing board, and I'm pulling that figure right out of my arse. 

But once we get there all sorts of possibilities open up. 

1 hour ago, Ke1t said:

These are still relatively new technologies, with incremental improvements coming just like any new tech. Every so often there will be a significant advancement made. 

Until someone comes up with a commercially viable fusion reactor, these are technologies that are worth exploring and advancing. 

The first solar cells were about 6% efficient, now they're pushing 25%. The theoretical limit of their efficiency has also increased from 33% to 44% based on newer, non-silicone materials.  I just learned all these figures in the last 5 minutes, tbh. 

Point being there are, fortunately, cleverer bastards than us working on this shit who don't take, 'Ye cannae dae 'at', for an answer. 

Oh the tech is way better than it was, and it'll continue to get better. I'm sure it's part of the energy mix, but the problem is there isn't much sun here at this time of year, and when the wind drops, it doesn't matter how efficient the turbines are. Backup is needed, and it's gas turbines that provide the backup.

As an oil and gas guy, I wish we'd build loads more nuclear.

A useful site that shows where the UK (and France) is getting its electricity from in real time:

https://gridwatch.templar.co.uk/

18 hours ago, tutankamun said:

“Wind drought” :hysterical:

https://news.sky.com/story/amp/future-of-renewable-energy-in-balance-as-uk-suffers-wind-drought-with-global-stilling-to-come-12766917

Oh dear, all those wind farms suddenly become useless…

All because of big bad global warming of course :rolleyes:

People actually believe this shit.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/the-worlds-winds-are-speeding-up/

2 hours ago, Ramandu said:

Oh the tech is way better than it was, and it'll continue to get better. I'm sure it's part of the energy mix, but the problem is there isn't much sun here at this time of year, and when the wind drops, it doesn't matter how efficient the turbines are. Backup is needed, and it's gas turbines that provide the backup.

As an oil and gas guy, I wish we'd build loads more nuclear.

A useful site that shows where the UK (and France) is getting its electricity from in real time:

https://gridwatch.templar.co.uk/

Any such website for Scotland? As I don't give a fuck about England/wales and what they use.  

• Thanks 1
49 minutes ago, Redforever86 said:

Windmills are over 1000 years old. 

As a means of grinding grains and irrigating fields, not as pure energy providers. 

Spoons are over 3000 years old, but it's only recently they've been used to cook smack. 

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, Edwin Starr said:

Must be undersized waste pipe .

Is it piped in 22mm plastic.?

Yep. 

49 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Any such website for Scotland? As I don't give a fuck about England/wales and what they use.  

Not that I've come across, had a wee search and not found anything. I'm not sure easy it would be, given the grid is UK wide.

4 hours ago, thedandydon said:

More bullshit

“The experiment was only able to produce enough energy to boil about 15-20 kettles and required billions of dollars of investment. And although the experiment got more energy out than the laser put in, this did not include the energy needed to make the lasers work - which was far greater than the amount of energy the hydrogen produced.”

:laughing:

1 hour ago, Sooper-hanz said:

Context is everything on the hat. And that’s a decent defence if you ever get the cops at your door. 😘

It got me off and @Bad_Mobby I recall. Nae sure if anyone else has. 

Think my response was what are you going to charge me with….section whatever. Alright charge me. We’re not going to charge you.

Right so why are you here…

Still nae great when you have to face your neighbours though!

News was banging on about a massive storm coming from the west, 4 feet of snow in some places, ice-storms, tornados, hurricane strength winds, the usual end of days shite. 

Got all excited and bought myself some magnificent Crossclimates for the motor. I was going to be tearing it up like a mad bastard. 

Result - Fuck all sna. Fuck all ice. Fuck all anything. 

Bit chilly, like, so easy mistake to make. 

Weatherpocalypse / a bit cauld. 

spacer.png