January 2023 Transfer Window

1 hour ago, The Gee Man said:

Forest looking at a loan for Doak at Liverpool, if we have to loan in players this is the type to try. He’s getting no benefit from a loan to forest surely. They have bought in 20+ players at big expense already 

Can't see Forest trying to loan him in without having the intention of playing him, at least initially. 

If he turned out to be out of his depth then they would for sure drop him. But at Liverpool, the best he could hope for is the odd sub appearance off the bench later on in the season and likely not in any meaningful matches. So even if he failed at Forest in first team terms, he'd still be playing U21 football (albeit in the league below Liverpool) but against teams like Leeds, Newcastle, Southampton, Villa etc. For a loon just a week past his 17th birthday, it's not a disaster to be doing that. 

So really can't see any real downsides to the loan if it occurs

3 minutes ago, The Gee Man said:

Like Gilmour at Brighton unfortunately 

Gilmour is 22 on his next birthday. Time really is running out for him to make it at EPL level. Brighton are going remarkably well, far higher up the table than anyone thought and so it's difficult for their manager to drop anyone from the starting 11 but Gilmour is barely getting any time off the bench...I'm sure it's roughly 10 minutes IN TOTAL all season. Which is why it was fucking bizarre that Stevie Clarke started him in Turkey the other day. 

Completely different situation to Doak

7 minutes ago, Ten Caat said:

Gilmour is 22 on his next birthday. Time really is running out for him to make it at EPL level. Brighton are going remarkably well, far higher up the table than anyone thought and so it's difficult for their manager to drop anyone from the starting 11 but Gilmour is barely getting any time off the bench...I'm sure it's roughly 10 minutes IN TOTAL all season. Which is why it was fucking bizarre that Stevie Clarke started him in Turkey the other day. 

Completely different situation to Doak

The situation could be the same if he goes and doesn’t play. Gilmour was an exciting 17 year old with the world at his feet. But a lack of playing regularly has stifled that. 

14 minutes ago, Ten Caat said:

Can't see Forest trying to loan him in without having the intention of playing him, at least initially. 

If he turned out to be out of his depth then they would for sure drop him. But at Liverpool, the best he could hope for is the odd sub appearance off the bench later on in the season and likely not in any meaningful matches. So even if he failed at Forest in first team terms, he'd still be playing U21 football (albeit in the league below Liverpool) but against teams like Leeds, Newcastle, Southampton, Villa etc. For a loon just a week past his 17th birthday, it's not a disaster to be doing that. 

So really can't see any real downsides to the loan if it occurs

These clubs loan in loads and never play them. The money wasted in epl makes Cormack look like scrooge 

5 minutes ago, sooth_stander said:

Max Andersen, midfielder at Dundee,  worth a shout? 21 yr old, Out of contract in the summer but would be a development fee to pay.

I don’t know if we still fish in Scottish waters nowadays but there must be players out there. 

Aye, he looks decent. 

Would be good to bolster our ranks with some young talent from other teams in our league. 

When was the last one? McCrorie? 

2 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

Aye, he looks decent. 

Would be good to bolster our ranks with some young talent from other teams in our league. 

The boy we paid Ross County £50k for and never gave him a sniff. Mark Gallagher or something?

3 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

Aye, he looks decent. 

Yeah, probably.

It’s a strategy thats served us well over various managers so I’m bemused why we seemed to have binned it and put all our eggs into international and lower league English markets.

Just now, sooth_stander said:

Yeah, probably.

It’s a strategy thats served us well over various managers so I’m bemused why we seemed to have binned it and put all our eggs into international and lower league English markets.

Definitely worth pursuing some youngsters from our own league over non league English players I'd say. 

I've been impressed with our European scouting in the main. 

9 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

Definitely worth pursuing some youngsters from our own league over non league English players I'd say. 

I've been impressed with our European scouting in the main. 

Yeah we should be completely swerving the English leagues, players we get are invariably shite and vastly over priced. Scottish and European markets the way ahead 

4 hours ago, NEM said:

Yeah we should be completely swerving the English leagues, players we get are invariably shite and vastly over priced. Scottish and European markets the way ahead 

Agree except the Scottish market seems almost dead these days outside of the youth coming through at the top teams or snaffled up by clubs down south at 15/16.

Hamilton were the go-to team for good young Scottish players. The boy Max Anderson at Dundee is probably the pick of the bunch as people have said. 

If we are looking at players in our own league then Baccus for me is the obvious one. Although i'd imagine we'd be priced out of getting him. Armstrong at Killie would have been another one before he signed the new deal. 

3 minutes ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

Wouldn’t be surprised to see the Huns loan him.

Tbh I wouldn't be surprised if they actually try to sign him outright.

It's clear that the Brighton move has turned to shit for the loon, the manager who signed him is no longer there and the new one doesn't rate him. 

I don't think Brighton are struggling for cash but they might think that bringing in a fee about half of what they paid for him...which sevco could afford....might be best for all parties

4 hours ago, Ten Caat said:

Tbh I wouldn't be surprised if they actually try to sign him outright.

It's clear that the Brighton move has turned to shit for the loon, the manager who signed him is no longer there and the new one doesn't rate him. 

I don't think Brighton are struggling for cash but they might think that bringing in a fee about half of what they paid for him...which sevco could afford....might be best for all parties

They can't afford fuck all

• Dildo 1
  • 2 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, Ten Caat said:

He was mentioned about a couple of months back as a target of ours so the supposed exclusive they are claiming is a pile of shite. 

Think he was with Birmingham earlier in his career. 

Hud me back.

Going from a regular at the 5th tier to a regular in the 4th tier is an upgrade of sorts. 

I’d hoped our days of signing lower league English dross (he’s 26, not some young lad with potential) were done with. 

About the same age as Logan was when we signed him and he turned out not to be too dusty (although when we got him. Brentford  were in the Championship tbf)

I agree it's not a signing that will excite many of our support but even if he turns out to just be a steady player, it's still an upgrade on Richardson

• Upvote 2
3 minutes ago, Ten Caat said:

About the same age as Logan was when we signed him and he turned out not to be too dusty (although when we got him. Brentford  were in the Championship tbf)

I agree it's not a signing that will excite many of our support but even if he turns out to just be a steady player, it's still an upgrade on Richardson

Agree.
If he’s like Shay Logan was for his first few years then fine, but as you say, Logan wasn’t down in League Two so not a great comparison