Darvel 1 - 0 Aberdeen

7 hours ago, Ten Caat said:

And yet look how many of these sides are now progressing up the league system, replacing traditional clubs that were in it for many decades, some over 100 years. Clubs like Cove already in the Championship. Kelty Hearts and FC Edinburgh in SFL1 and Bonnyrigg Rose in SFL2. 

You might find these lower leagues an inconvenience or an irritant but just because you don't like them doesn't mean that they don't mean a lot to their local support and provide a valuable service in their communities. And I will ask you to remember this thread in 5 years time. Then look where Darvel sit at that point in the pyramid. I'll be astonished if they aren't at least in SFL2 by that time. I suspect they might be SFL1. With the ambition to go higher

Never said there isn't a place in society for local, social club inspired football clubs. My Grandad was one of the guys that established Sunnybank to be the side they were back in the 70's and 80's. They used to regularly get into Scottish cup play offs. But largely, they were a social club and when the Sunnybank Club petered out, so did the football side.
Sure, the likes of Darvel are welcome to their place in the footballing system, but what I'm saying is, they should see themselves for what the actually are in reality and the SFA shouldn't allow them be be part of the infrastructure. There's room for around 30 serious teams in Scotland in my opinion, possibly only 2 with 2 more regionlised North/South. If you want to go watch your local social club in action every Saturday, then great. But clubs from Premiership down to Championship, should be where you plough your attendance money and sponsorship in to. Amatuer football is for folk that want to play/compete without the serious aspect of it all (ie forming a club, having a committe, secretary etc). It's bloody hard work keeping clubs going with volunteers.
Grass roots is important, but like I said, once you reach 18, you have a decent idea if you're making it as a serious footballer, or not. Reduce the pool of players, concentrate the talent and have home grown Scottish players to choose from. I'm pretty sure other nations have used this model and why Scotland are so shite. This is nothing new.

6 hours ago, Yorston Vasey said:

Bit of a dangerous premise to start from because where does this end.. Scottish football is an irrelevance in European/global terms so let's dismiss and disconnect everything because supposedly 'established' clubs are more worthy?

Scottish football is far from irrelevant - I'm not saying that at all - quite the opposite. What I'm saying is, if you look at the number of sides that operate from tier 5 down, it far outweghs the clubs who are serious about matters. And those smaller clubs have a vote in how Scottish football works. That's just wrong and why the likes of Elon Musk came in and got rid of 3/4's of his Twitter work force - too many hangers-on. Darvel, as a community, don't have the resources locally, to be a big club. Sure, someone with money can come in, pay players big wages and they can rise through the ranks. But come on.... is this the way football should work?

55 minutes ago, CCB III said:

The thing with this is, we can not defend simple balls lobbed into our box. 

Every throw, free kick and corner will have us fucking flapping. 

It's a real leveller. 

The ratio of number of goals we concede to the number of attacks against us is ridiculous.

Very similar to what it was under Glass.

We’re soft as shite as a team.

Look at Hearts today. Under quite a bit of pressure after scoring early. 
Soak it up & deal with it. 

We’d have lost 3-1 

• Upvote 1
27 minutes ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

The ratio of number of goals we concede to the number of attacks against us is ridiculous.

Very similar to what it was under Glass.

We’re soft as shite as a team.

Look at Hearts today. Under quite a bit of pressure after scoring early. 
Soak it up & deal with it. 

We’d have lost 3-1 

Yep. They are very much in the mould of McInnes 15-19 teams. 

8 minutes ago, CCB III said:

Yep. They are very much in the mould of McInnes 15-19 teams. 

Crucial difference.  Does Neilson believe they should go to Glasgow and win?  Or at the very least, fully expect to go to Glasgow, get fucked over McCurry style and use that to instil strength and resilience in his players.  And most importantly is he able to take the decent Glasgow results and build on them rather than fritter them away on shite 0-0s at Dens park on cold tuesday nights.

Happy with 1 and 2.  Remain to be convinced about 3.   

9 minutes ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

Aye, said as much earlier.

Don’t give that much away, aren’t spectacular on the eye, good team spirit. 
Efficient. 

Importantly, have individuals who can give you a 6/10 at least every week. 

People don't give them enough credit. They are a very good, functional side for this league and well worth their best of the rest atm. 

6 hours ago, Matt Armstrong's Dog said:

I remember the last time, or one of the last times, our first team played a junior league side (Sunnybank) and drew 0-0 when we were managed by Ebbe Skovdahl. 

Not taking anything for granted, considering how porous our defence is.

Tuesday teatime, summer 1st August 2000,Sunnybank 2 v Aberdeen XI 1 .We're black,we're white,we're rather dynamite ! Remember the game well,Sunnybank had a very strong team at that time and beat a young Dons team fair and square.Kevin McNaughton.the Dazzler Darren Mackie,Chris Clark who scored a fine free kick goal for the Dons,Kevin Rutkiewicz,Cato Guntveit among those who played for Aberdeen.Main reason for the match was to assess Norwegian trialist centre half Anders Jacobsen.He had played for Sheffield United and Stoke City.He was never heard of again. Ebbe Skovdahl  was in attendance at Heathryfold,friendly and affable as ever.Great night for north east Junior football.

• Thanks 1
7 hours ago, starryfish said:

I hope we absolutely smash these fuckers. Scottish football is waiting for us to fail and a big win would be a big fuck you to everyone outside the club. Goodwin out nonetheless 

Would it? 

It's a lose lose for Goodwin and the players. 

Win by a significant margin and nobody cares, it's expected. 

Struggle to a win, or even worse, lose, and it's viewed as a disgrace. 

2 hours ago, CCB III said:

Would it? 

It's a lose lose for Goodwin and the players. 

Win by a significant margin and nobody cares, it's expected. 

Struggle to a win, or even worse, lose, and it's viewed as a disgrace. 

Short term, yes. In the longer term the performance will be forgotten, and the only thing that will matter is whether we're in the next round.

Guest findlay_1903
2 minutes ago, afc_blockhead said:

Nope. Thats what every miserable cunt says

We wont lose tonight. Stop shitting yourself

Over confidence, yuck. You sound like my ex.