Summer 2023 Transfer Window - the next overhaul

2 hours ago, Gilhaushans said:

Scott Burns. “Done in terms of signings before the close of the window. Still possibilities in the free agent market. It wasn’t for the want of trying before the deadline.”

Hey ho. It is what it is. 

No excuse.

Ramadani left before the season started & it was touted weeks before 

They can say they tried all they like. 

They had plenty time. 

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Geoff_Tipps said:

People seem to be forgetting Polvara (on loan last year) and Barron (injured most of last season) are essentially new signings. Add McGrath and the permanent signings of Clarkson and Shinnie.

So basically 5 new signings, Gunner and the recruitment deserve great credit for the work they have done strengthening this area of the pitch. 

Polvara will never be good enough for Aberdeen, but from the way he's getting bigged up by the management team it's fairly obvious that he was a Cormack signing and the club just can't admit that he's a flop.

If we're relying on him to do the hard work as a central defensive midfielder then we're fucked. 

• Downvote 5

Going to guess this Danish guy was a panic signing as they realised they’d fucked up getting anyone in for the positions we really needed it and knew there’d be a backlash from the fans if they didn’t sign anyone (particularly after Dave’s tweet earlier in the week). Scott Burns saying it wasn’t for lack of trying… they’ve had 6 fucking weeks since Ramadani left to get a replacement in… they’ve clearly not tried hard enough. 

Wonder how long until Cormack or Burrows make their statement about how excited they are to have Gartenmann in, how they tried their hardest to get another in but deadline day is notoriously hard, and how they are very happy with the overall summer recruitment? I’m gonna guess by mid afternoon.

• Dildo 2
5 minutes ago, zeroisgod76 said:

Going to guess this Danish guy was a panic signing as they realised they’d fucked up getting anyone in for the positions we really needed it and knew there’d be a backlash from the fans if they didn’t sign anyone (particularly after Dave’s tweet earlier in the week). Scott Burns saying it wasn’t for lack of trying… they’ve had 6 fucking weeks since Ramadani left to get a replacement in… they’ve clearly not tried hard enough. 

Wonder how long until Cormack or Burrows make their statement about how excited they are to have Gartenmann in, how they tried their hardest to get another in but deadline day is notoriously hard, and how they are very happy with the overall summer recruitment? I’m gonna guess by mid afternoon.

If they’ve got any sense, they’ll avoid it.

It’ll only lead to a pile on.

Besides, nae excuse as Rama left a month ago. 

Nae point greeting for the next 5 months that we didn't bring in that 6th central midfielder on deadline day.  We've signed 13 players from about 10 different countries so cries of negligence are a bit ott. 

We've got a massive squad and we can easily pick a good team in several formations out of the players we have.  

It's down to the management and coaching team to find the right blend and tactics now. 

• Upvote 6

I think when clubs know you are coming into money and you are a bit desperate, they will inflate prices. Anyhow, even if we had managed to secure our intended targets, I think we would still struggle this season by trying to chop and change players because we won't have a really settled team. Time will tell if it's money well spent.

1 minute ago, Johnnyred1 said:

I think when clubs know you are coming into money and you are a bit desperate, they will inflate prices. Anyhow, even if we had managed to secure our intended targets, I think we would still struggle this season by trying to chop and change players because we won't have a really settled team. Time will tell if it's money well spent.

There's that many new faces came through the door in the last few weeks that weve no idea what their best attributes are yet. 

There's more than enough players there to pick a decent team. It's the biggest squad of senior players I can ever remember us having.

Last year we had 3 centre backs and 1 was on loan from Celtic and 1 was a midfielder filling in that ended up at wing back. We also had less central midfielders last year as well and less striking options. 

The best team might not be 352 and the tactics might need to change a bit to get the best out of our better players but that's the management's job now. 

I believe Cormack interferes to much in the footballing side of things (transfers etc.) 

He is successful business man not a footballing man. Happy for him to contribute his money but I expect he is having a say how it is spent. Good chairman trust the footballing heads at clubs to spend money. The fact he was on Twitter searching players (Conor Hazard) sums him up, that's the sort of shite the virgins on this site do.

Alternatively he could be trusting the wrong people with his money, which also doesn't reflect well on him especially given his track record of managerial appointments. He seems to favour inexperience managers, is that because more experience managers wouldn't stand for his interfering?

The one saving grace is he likes rowies and hates Rangers and if we are being completely honest, that's the number one priority. 

The myth that Ramadani was a sitting midfielder is fairly crazy, he was probably the furthest forward of the 3 in almost all of Robsons games and was completely bang average.  Mcgrath is a miles better footballer and will be just fine in the middle.  Folk greetin about no Ramadani replacement need to give it a rest.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3
41 minutes ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

I’ve no idea if Gueye will be good or not. 

My point is, would the alleged £500k not been better spent on a midfielder such as a Baccus?

To go through the European games, League Cup & 18 league games until January with that midfield, is fucking madness.

It’ll bite us on the arse. 

Or if they were intent on spending £500k on a striker give it to Josh Ginnelly, a proven striker in this country 

6 minutes ago, Pat_Nevin said:

The myth that Ramadani was a sitting midfielder is fairly crazy, he was probably the furthest forward of the 3 in almost all of Robsons games and was completely bang average.  Mcgrath is a miles better footballer and will be just fine in the middle.  Folk greetin about no Ramadani replacement need to give it a rest.

It’s the lack of alternatives to McGrath, Shinnie and Clarkson that folk are concerned with, a crucial part of the pitch and a significant drop off if players like Barron, Polvara or Duncan are involved.

42 minutes ago, zeroisgod76 said:

Are you now? That’s great logic. Just guess away. 

34 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

Nae point greeting for the next 5 months that we didn't bring in that 6th central midfielder on deadline day.  We've signed 13 players from about 10 different countries so cries of negligence are a bit ott. 

We've got a massive squad and we can easily pick a good team in several formations out of the players we have.  

It's down to the management and coaching team to find the right blend and tactics now. 

Correct. We aren’t going to overhaul a full squad in one window unfortunately. The issue is we seem to have to do it every summer due to loans etc. 

• Upvote 3

Its a bit shit we didn't find the fabled Rama replacement, yes we had a lot of time to do this, lots of valid points made positively and negatively regarding this whole situation.

I was on the side of getting a like for like replacement, that probably won't happen now and we probably have to deal with that the best we can.

The way I'm trying to look at it now is, is it as simple as "we need a defensive midfielder" ? I don't think it is, regardless of what Rama's position was, it was the job he did that was important, he was very good at understanding what the players around him were doing/going to do and he would fill the spaces, be it moving forwards or backwards, we just need to Hope that sooner rather than later, that one of Mcgrath, polvara or Barron, begin to build a similar understanding of what shinnie and Clarkson like to do or better still, that our preferred middle three (let's just say shinnie,Mcgrath and Clarkson) build that understanding to cover each other when either leaves a space to go and do their own thing.

18 minutes ago, starryfish said:

Or if they were intent on spending £500k on a striker give it to Josh Ginnelly, a proven striker in this country 

It’s not so much who they have signed up front, it’s more it appears to have been prioritised over midfield.

Who knows, they may have got let down by a late change of heart from a selling club.

The bottom line is they had ample time to sort it 

9 minutes ago, DelMonte said:

Correct. We aren’t going to overhaul a full squad in one window unfortunately. The issue is we seem to have to do it every summer due to loans etc. 

^^^^Yip, you can't do it.

Last Summer was OK and gave us some good players that we'd want to keep and play every week (Roos, Duk, Mio, Rama).

This year we've definitely added to that (Shinnie, Clarkson, Devlin, MacDonald). And hopefully some of these new guys that we've not really seen will also be good.

Guess what, because of that we don't need the same level of recruitment next year. We've made progress believe it or not.

If you can get 50% of your signings to be a success then I think you've done well. We've been playing catch up ever since Glass' Summer window of shite

• Upvote 4
2 minutes ago, Daisy1903 said:

^^^^Yip, you can't do it.

Last Summer was OK and gave us some good players that we'd want to keep and play every week (Roos, Duk, Mio, Rama).

This year we've definitely added to that (Shinnie, Clarkson, Devlin, MacDonald). And hopefully some of these new guys that we've not really seen will also be good.

Guess what, because of that we don't need the same level of recruitment next year. We've made progress believe it or not.

If you can get 50% of your signings to be a success then I think you've done well. We've been playing catch up ever since Glass' Summer window of shite

If more than 50% of this summer’s signings turn out crap then we will need to replace circa 10 players again?

1 hour ago, aberdeen1970 said:

I get where you're coming from but it's not about sheer numbers. 

We sold a very good midfielder in Ramadani and neglected to replace him appropriately. 

It's clear that's a huge part of what's been missing in these opening games. 

I agree the £500k for Gueye would have been better spent on Baccus.....defensive midfield was definitely more of a priority for the squad. The only thing I can think of is  that we were expecting a bid to come in for one of Miovski or Duk that would have been of a sufficient level that we couldn't turn it down. However as far as we know, this scenario hasn't happened and now we are left with a slightly unbalanced squad.

Gartenmann loan makes sense as it buys us time. MacDonald looks like the injury he suffered in pre-season might still be causing him problems, Rubezic looks like a bombscare and Williams....well fuck knows what he looks like cos we've never seen him other than a short cameo in one of the pre-season friendlies. We've got shot of Stewart and hopefully what we are shelling out to Midjtylland for Gartenmann is offset fairly closely by what MK Dons are giving us for Stewart. 

2 minutes ago, starryfish said:

If more than 50% of this summer’s signings turn out crap then we will need to replace circa 10 players again?

By success I mean 1st team regulars. You still need squad fillers and by that I mean ones you don't dread coming on.

We've seen little of them but already for me Ruby, Jensen, McGrath, Sokler and McGarry are definitely good enough to be part of the squad and I'm sure some of them will turn out to be decent 1st team players.

We won't be recruiting 10 next year unless we sell some of our better players and decide that we need to replace guys who are nowhere near the team (Stewart, Richardson, Vinny)