Club would 100% have taken this deal (with sell on clause) if they had any confidence that they were bringing in any players this window. Fact they knocked it back proves they had zero plans for players coming in other than hoping for clubs having to bin some players out on loan last minute to trim squad IF they’d managed to sign players.

57 minutes ago, fine-n-dandy said:

Club would 100% have taken this deal (with sell on clause) if they had any confidence that they were bringing in any players this window. Fact they knocked it back proves they had zero plans for players coming in other than hoping for clubs having to bin some players out on loan last minute to trim squad IF they’d managed to sign players.

He was barely getting a game when we signed Phillips so can’t see how he plays now. From what I heard he wants to go abroad. He doesn’t seem the brightest so may have thought wales was abroad.

• Haha 4
1 minute ago, a don in oz said:

We'll likely get the guts of 500k as training compensation so absolute no brainer to keep him.

Does that not depend which FA he goes to? Is there not some circumstances in past where ‘training compensation’ is not required? Or is that only applicable after a certain age & coming to end of contract?

19 minutes ago, fine-n-dandy said:

Does that not depend which FA he goes to? Is there not some circumstances in past where ‘training compensation’ is not required? Or is that only applicable after a certain age & coming to end of contract?

Buggered if I know about which FA transfers pay it and which don't. About the age I think it's something really simple (hah) like any transfer after the season during which they have their 24th birthday or some shit. Maybe 23rd. 

Whatever it is and even if we were to receive no training compensation, losing a player that may or may not be a pivotal part of what the new manager decides (unlike the previous neep) for pennies now would have been stupid. We are not in dire straits where we need to bite off any hand offering us anything anymore. 

• Upvote 2

Glad he's stayed - hopefully a decent manager will see him as a pivitol part of the team. Maybe if he's seen as the main man in the next few months and he flourishes we'll offer him a decent contract and the captaincy and we'll get another year or two out of him. He's the man to build the team round for a couple of years.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Don_Corleone said:

Glad he's stayed - hopefully a decent manager will see him as a pivitol part of the team. Maybe if he's seen as the main man in the next few months and he flourishes we'll offer him a decent contract and the captaincy and we'll get another year or two out of him. He's the man to build the team round for a couple of years.

Agree with everything bar the captaincy bit. Not sure we've seen anything from him to suggest he's got that in him so far. BUT having him sitting in front of a back four 'controlling' the game from there makes a heap of sense to me. He just needs to keep in mind he cannot shield the ball well from bigger players. Whenever he tries that he get's caught out and often loses it (thankfully he's stopped that this season mostly when he's been played)

Hopefully Barron gets more game time now that Robson has been binned. Been streets ahead of Shinnie all season yet had a fraction of the game time.

Knowing he hasn't signed for the huns already I'd have turned down £500k as well. We'll make at least half that if not more in training compensation at the end of the season, and the other half he'll hopefully make up by helping us up the table a few places and getting through a few rounds of the Scottish cup too.

• Upvote 1
4 hours ago, a don in oz said:

We'll likely get the guts of 500k as training compensation so absolute no brainer to keep him.

We wouldn't be getting any sell on clause or add ons though so maybe a little small minded not to offload him... I would have put our contract deal on the table and go "sign or off to Wales you go". Either way we lose lose now.

36 minutes ago, dj_bollocks said:

We wouldn't be getting any sell on clause or add ons though so maybe a little small minded not to offload him... I would have put our contract deal on the table and go "sign or off to Wales you go". Either way we lose lose now.

Cannot see him sold in future for any kind of massive fee that would give us much in add ons anyway so no big loss there

• 2 weeks later...

Been told Barron won't sign a deal, wanted to go to Swansea in the transfer window.

Swansea  was offering money and letting Barron stay with us till the end of this season.

He was one of the lowest paid players in the first team.

Told he would have signed a contract, but only offered a small advance in wages.

Just now, anderson72 said:

Been told Barron won't sign a deal, wanted to go to Swansea in the transfer window.

Swansea  was offering money and letting Barron stay with us till the end of this season.

Told he would have signed a contract, but only offered a small advance in wages.

Fuck him. He’s average.

• Upvote 1
6 minutes ago, anderson72 said:

Disgrace we’ve not offered him a serious deal. Make him one of highest earners, he’s playing well just now.

• Haha 2
13 minutes ago, anderson72 said:

Aye, alright Jim

10 minutes ago, Sooper-hanz said:

He’s a decent player who will improve further 

That’s about it in a nutshell. If he doesn’t want to be here then off he goes. I’d rather he stayed but he’s hardly shown much to say he’d ever be our best player.

He’s a good player but not one I see going to the level of even Kenny McLean who’s been moderately successful. Can’t see him ever playing in the English prem regularly. 

a Jack Grimmer career to be had. Which I’m sure has been financially sound for the lad.