Dons In Europe - 2023/24

1 hour ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

Absolutely brutal. 
There are no teams I’d fancy us to beat.

https://twitter.com/UefaRankings/status/1689954059308937216?s=20

Love it. That's the Europa League and thankfully, unlike the Conference League, three go through so 

1) It's six cup finals to scramble together 4 points

2) Earliest we are likely to be knocked out is the end of the 5th game

We can still land an ECL group where we have no chance and we also have no motivation because it's only two to progress.

Anyways, theres a couple of Pot 3 teams we can try to beat

2 minutes ago, Tord31 said:

Love it. That's the Europa League and thankfully, unlike the Conference League, three go through so 

1) It's six cup finals to scramble together 4 points

2) Earliest we are likely to be knocked out is the end of the 5th game

We can still land an ECL group where we have no chance and we also have no motivation because it's only two to progress.

Anyways, theres a couple of Pot 3 teams we can try to beat

Aye, as brutal as the draw is likely to be, it has to be the aim to make the Europa groups.

Prestige, money, great trips away for the fans 

Aye, we’ll probably take a few hidings, but aim as high as we can.

• Upvote 1

Next years changes to the group stages in the UEFA competitions actually look quite interesting.

For example in the Europa League the teams will be divided into 4 pots of 9 teams each based on their club 5 year co-efficient.

Each team will then be drawn against 2 teams from each pot so 8 different opponents playing 4 at home and 4 away.

So say we qualified and were in pot 4 we'd play 2 x pot 1, 2 x pot 2, 2 x pot 3 and 2 x pot 4.

The Conference will be similar format but as that only gives 6 games it will be 3 pots of 12 teams.

3 hours ago, Medw1311 said:

Next years changes to the group stages in the UEFA competitions actually look quite interesting.

For example in the Europa League the teams will be divided into 4 pots of 9 teams each based on their club 5 year co-efficient.

Each team will then be drawn against 2 teams from each pot so 8 different opponents playing 4 at home and 4 away.

So say we qualified and were in pot 4 we'd play 2 x pot 1, 2 x pot 2, 2 x pot 3 and 2 x pot 4.

The Conference will be similar format but as that only gives 6 games it will be 3 pots of 12 teams.

Sounds like a heap of shite if you ask me 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1
On 8/12/2023 at 3:56 PM, Dandyesque said:

Its all unnecessarily complicated. 

A wee bag full of balls with numbers on them. 2 leg ties.

Keep going until 1 team is left, then give them a trophy, no matter which league they represent. 

I agree.

I think it is so convuluted so as to hide the obvious financial and sporting advantage to the "big" nations. Bury the bias.

15 minutes ago, Glass half full said:

Has there been any accurate info given on the number of tickets likely to be given for the play off round away game?

Looking to book flights, would be gutted to pay for flights and hotel and not get a ticket. 

It’s difficult due to this round not being completed but I believe it’s 500-600 if it’s hacken 

11 hours ago, RUL said:

Ticket office directly.

Which concurs with my 'quick maff' on the amount of seats that are in the section we'd get if it turns out its Hacken... around 620. Don't think the 5% rule will be used as they have a section available and assume they'll be keen to fill to get more money in and a sell out crowd.

22 hours ago, Glass half full said:

Has there been any accurate info given on the number of tickets likely to be given for the play off round away game?

Looking to book flights, would be gutted to pay for flights and hotel and not get a ticket. 

I've 'upgraded' my flight to give me a refund of 80% if I need to cancel and the hotel is booking.com and able to cancel for free 24hrs, so it's not such a big risk, albeit would lose a ton or so if it's not Hacken. Should be a'right though. Roll on Thu!!

17 minutes ago, zeroisgod76 said:

It certainly would be... surely nobody is confident of them having these 4 players in and eligible to play within a week though.

As someone pointed out, even if we signed a couple prior to the tie, visa issues would prevent them signing.

I think you have to wait 10 days before leaving the country having received your visa etc. 

So unless we get British/Irish lads in the door, we’ll be as we are for the away game in Sweden? 

MacDonald might be available but won’t have played for 3 months & it’s an artificial pitch. 
McGarry should be ok. 
Williams unlikely. 

• Upvote 1
14 minutes ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

Would be a strange take given that it’s an extra 7 figure sum likely. 
Qualifying alone is an extra £600-£700k.

Sure I saw somewhere that qualifying for the Conference and then winning 1 or 2 games would be worth more than qualifying for the Europa and getting pumped.