Dons In Europe - 2023/24

17 minutes ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

Would be a strange take given that it’s an extra 7 figure sum likely. 
Qualifying alone is an extra £600-£700k.

I did read somewhere that we could potentially earn more in prize money by winning 2 games in the conference league then we would qualifying for the Europa league alone but getting pumped every game .

Europa is also better cause there is no guarantee we would pick up a couple of wins in the Conference. So "a bird in the hand is better than two in the bush" etc. There wouldn't be many teams we would start favourites against in the Conference league either, slightly easier games but not enough to guarantee wins.

It's more than likely we would get bent over and ragdolled every game in the Europa group.

At least in the conference there's a better chance of us picking up a few results.

I do agree with the comment though that to still be needing 3/4 players before the biggest game the club has had in the last decade or so is really poor, regardless on how you think we'd fare in either competition.

We should 100% be doing everything we can to get into the Europa. 

We'd probably struggle against pot 1 teams in either competition and pot 2 would also be really tough, but its the pot 3 teams we could in reality have a chance of beating and at that point its all down to the luck of the draw.... there'll be teams in pot 3 of both competitions we'd have a decent chance of beating and likelwise teams that we'd really struggle against.

May aswell give it a go and try to get into a competition where a win and a draw against a Pot 3 team would highly likely see us finish 3rd and have European football after Christmas than a competition where a win and a draw against a Pot 3 team would likely have us finish 3rd but be out of Europe.

• Upvote 2
18 minutes ago, Andy_123 said:

It's more than likely we would get bent over and ragdolled every game in the Europa group.

At least in the conference there's a better chance of us picking up a few results.

I do agree with the comment though that to still be needing 3/4 players before the biggest game the club has had in the last decade or so is really poor, regardless on how you think we'd fare in either competition.

All down to the luck of the draw...

We could have Sporting Lisbon, Qarabag and Sheriff Tirsapol in the Europa and we could have Eintrach Frankfurt, Aston Villa and Lech Poznan in the Conference.

In those circumastances i'd prefer our chances of getting some points in the Europa.

32 minutes ago, Tord31 said:

I'm not fully convinced by the theory that we'll get torn about in Europa and that we wont in ECL.

I think we'll be strong at home against anyone and pish away against anyone

Folk keep banging on about us getting pumped in the europa league, but if u do a bit of maths and see some of the teams we could actually get in pot two and three, then you realise there are some that we would definitely get results against.

The likes of 

Backa topola, Sturm graz, Olimpia ljubjana, Panathinikos and copenehagen

Could all be there, definitely have more chance of progressing with 3 teams going through. 

• Upvote 1
4 minutes ago, Peedie1 said:

Folk keep banging on about us getting pumped in the europa league, but if u do a bit of maths and see some of the teams we could actually get in pot two and three, then you realise there are some that we would definitely get results against.

The likes of 

Backa topola, Sturm graz, Olimpia ljubjana, Panathinikos and copenehagen

Could all be there, definitely have more chance of progressing with 3 teams going through. 

Don't disagree with your broader point, but Panathanaikos and Copenhagen would batter us.

1 minute ago, Tord31 said:

At pittodrie in a group game where our players and fans are treating it like a cup final? I'm not convinced of a battering

The teams coming to Pittodrie, from pots 1 & 2, will be better teams than Celtic. 
We can’t get near them.  

What makes you think we’ll beat superior teams to Celtic, who are probably a pot 3 Europa League standard team. 

• Like 1
Just now, WesthillWanderersFC said:

The teams coming to Pittodrie, from pots 1 & 2, will be better teams than Celtic. 
We can’t get near them.  

What makes you think we’ll beat superior teams to Celtic, who are probably a pot 3 Europa League standard team. 

Not convinced that Qarabag or LASK (who may be pot 2 Europa teams) would be better than Celtic.

9 minutes ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

We can’t get near them.  

Dont need to beat everyone. We would need 1 win and 1 draw from 6 games.

Anyway, im not saying we'll do it but its the scenario where its exciting as we'll be in the mix till the end and could land a Copenhagen 4-0 cup final at Pittodrie scenario.

In ECL we'll be out after 2 games

19 hours ago, Tinyweelad said:

I've 'upgraded' my flight to give me a refund of 80% if I need to cancel and the hotel is booking.com and able to cancel for free 24hrs, so it's not such a big risk, albeit would lose a ton or so if it's not Hacken. Should be a'right though. Roll on Thu!!

There's a few decent city centre hotels available by all accounts

We'll wait until confirmation it's Hacken, tomorrow, before sorting

I'll be disappointed if we have to change flights to Vilnius in all honesty.....

20 minutes ago, TerryMcDermott said:

Qarabag were a complete class above us. Movement. Tactics. They outplayed us in 2nd gear. Tough to say whether they were better than Celtic but I’d say they could beat them for sure .

A class above the Aberdeen side that finished 10th in the league, impressive?