Pape Habib Guèye

As mentioned earlier in the topic, there was a Belgian correspondent on a few of the podcasts, who was basically saying big Pape used to be a player pre-2021 (which was when he was being linked with big money moves to England, etc)… but since returning from a ruptured medial ligament injury, he really struggled.

Clearly this one was a gamble… just hope we haven’t gambled too much, as early signs suggest he’ll struggle to get back to a decent level.  

35 minutes ago, Sonoftherock said:

As mentioned earlier in the topic, there was a Belgian correspondent on a few of the podcasts, who was basically saying big Pape used to be a player pre-2021… but since returning from a ruptured medial ligament injury, he really struggled.

Clearly this one was a gamble… just hope we haven’t gambled too much, as early signs suggest he’ll struggle to get back to a decent level.

Let's offer him to Kilmarnock.

Very harsh to judge. 

Looks a bit awkward but there could be a few reasons for that. A good few folk were saying Duk was never a player after his cameo at Stirling Albion last season. 

Can't judge a guy off an hour of sub appearances. I think we'll see more of what he can do as the season progresses. 

• Upvote 4
4 hours ago, CCB III said:

Very harsh to judge. 

Looks a bit awkward but there could be a few reasons for that. A good few folk were saying Duk was never a player after his cameo at Stirling Albion last season. 

Can't judge a guy off an hour of sub appearances. I think we'll see more of what he can do as the season progresses. 

I agree, I had a wee laugh last night asking if we signed the right player etc. But I'm hopeful there is a player there. What's he had for us minutes wise? 20-30mins. Not easy to get match rhythm if you've hardly played prior and coming back from injury. If he trains well and keeps getting minutes under his belt then hopefully he'll push on.

If not, then we'll just have to cut our losses and move him on.

5 hours ago, CCB III said:

Very harsh to judge. 

Hm. Normally I would agree and as I said at the weekend, he puts himself about and always looks to be involved. BUT, there's a very obvious lack of talent, intelligence and all round footballing ability there to be polite. Call it nerves, settling in or what whatever but he really does look like he's won some sort of competition.

Actually quite worrying.

It's been a bad start but it's massively unfair to judge him now. 

He needs game time, proper game time playing with our first team. Not 10 minutes at the end when we've already made 4 changes and look a bit disjointed. 

New place, new teammates, new culture, new style of football, etc. It's only right he's given a fair crack of the whip. 

• Upvote 1

At the end of the game his body language said it all. He looked knackered and bewildered reflecting on his own performance. He stood alone staring at the ground totally dejected. Now, all of us who have played the game know when you play in a fit team when you are so unfit yourself, there is a huge gulf in what you know you can do and what your body allows. You breathe out your arse and can't wait for the ball to go out to give you a breather. That's what he looked like.

Let's hope once he is fitter, he can show his true self.

11 hours ago, Parklife said:

He needs game time, proper game time playing with our first team. Not 10 minutes at the end when we've already made 4 changes and look a bit disjointed. 

New place, new teammates, new culture, new style of football, etc. It's only right he's given a fair crack of the whip. 

Deliberate turn of phrase that, what’s next, he’s some leap on him, looks like he’s good at hanging in the air??. Terrible from you parky, I’d have expected better 😜

11 hours ago, Parklife said:

He has effectively taken Vinnie's place in the team and I've judged him to be inferior. 

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

Cosgrove cost £20k. 
Even if he turned out shite & never played, it was little lost. 
We eventually sold him for 100 times what we paid.

I can’t see Gueye scoring over 30 goals for us & being sold for £50m 😆

I’m not judging/asking for comparisons on £’s. Those are pretty fkn obvious 

I was asking for views on how Cosgrove was rated (on ability) when he arrived compared to this one 🤷

I probably wrote on here 10 times already. I don't believe we spent £500k on him and the club have a record of leaking inflated fees this summer after the real fees for Sokler, Ruby and Jensen emerged.

Anyway I bloody hope we didnt pay £500k as his club were absolutely desperate to get shot of him

13 minutes ago, ahead on alphabet said:

Much, much worse. Just my opinion though 😂

Not so sure. Cosgrove looked dreadful when he first arrived but his price tag excused him.

Pap will maybe go out on loan in January if he isn’t getting in team. 
if we lose Miovski we definitely need to replace him with a ‘proven’ striker though