Next Manager

6 minutes ago, Matt Armstrong's Dog said:

Answering a question with a question.

Marvellous insight as always, hanging onto the pigtails of other posters' contributions.

A dead pig which has been slaughtered at Scotch Premier Meat in Inverurie this morning has much more intellect than you.

Bless 

14 hours ago, DD1903 said:

I remember you saying he was close previously. What happened there?

Can't recall saying that like, but what I do know:

He wanted the job.

He applied for the job.

He didn't get an interview.

5 hours ago, LambMolester said:

Maurice Steijn. Extremely shite at Ajax but been good everywhere else; seems to perform better at clubs with lesser resources and needs to rebuild his reputation. Unlikely shout I know but with how bad his stint at Ajax was I doubt he'd get any better offers atm

Love Roseability.

Idlewild were immense around then.

47 minutes ago, CCB III said:

I'd welcome him back with open arms now, and I'm being dead serious. 

Yes, he had given us stability and had us performing reliably at maybe 80-85% of where the club can get to given its current financial restraints. 

People eventually got fed up with that though, because the extra cup win(s) or european group stages never worked out for him.  These are the areas where he could still have achieved more.

Moving him on has not worked out for us at all - though its difficult to see how anyone could have done hugely better.

14 hours ago, donswin1983 said:

I agree with the last bit, min! However, I would argue it was high risk. European money, transfer reigns, chance of Europa league etc. i wouldn’t give the keys to my new car to my 17 year old loon, that’s just passed his driving test.

probably low risk financially, given impending pay offs etc but high risk given where we are and opportunities missed!

Every appointment is a risk though.  Even experienced managers are capable of being shite and it just doesn't work out.
I'd say Robson was low risk for the board because he'd turned the team around and clearly had them playing for him.  Of course he could turn out to be shite like any other appointment also could, but he was in the job and doing well, so low risk to give him a try and see if he could keep it going.  Giving him a 3 year deal is where they made a mistake.

9 minutes ago, robbojunior said:

Every appointment is a risk though.  Even experienced managers are capable of being shite and it just doesn't work out.
I'd say Robson was low risk for the board because he'd turned the team around and clearly had them playing for him.  Of course he could turn out to be shite like any other appointment also could, but he was in the job and doing well, so low risk to give him a try and see if he could keep it going.  Giving him a 3 year deal is where they made a mistake.

Especially one that only lasts 2 years.....

• Haha 1

I've mentioned this before, but the frequency and regularity with which we dispose of managers is getting a bit silly. There is a common factor which needs to be examined and it is the players that need to be questioned, together with the prevailing ethos that they operate under. There seems to be an arrogant complacency that suggests being an Aberdeen player creates an unjustified and dangerous sense of misplaced superiority. When things are going well it's fine, but it's all to easy for it all to fall into disarray. Weird substitutions and haphazard signings who sit on the bench or go into an on loan limbo must have an impact on team cohesion. To put it simply, it's a total mess and shows no signs of improvement.

10 hours ago, minijc said:

Well, some at the club did push to bring him back before we appointed Robson, so I wouldn't completely rule that out.

We'll probably go chasing unrealistic options, then the one good option who is interested our DoF will fuck it up.

I can believe the some at the club wanted him back. Milne probably the prime candidate. I think he'd turn it down though because i dont think he would work under Cormack. I suppose he'd technically be working under Alan Burrows more and I don't know whether that could sway him. 

14 minutes ago, Stoneybloke said:

I've mentioned this before, but the frequency and regularity with which we dispose of managers is getting a bit silly. There is a common factor which needs to be examined and it is the players that need to be questioned, together with the prevailing ethos that they operate under. There seems to be an arrogant complacency that suggests being an Aberdeen player creates an unjustified and dangerous sense of misplaced superiority. When things are going well it's fine, but it's all to easy for it all to fall into disarray. Weird substitutions and haphazard signings who sit on the bench or go into an on loan limbo must have an impact on team cohesion. To put it simply, it's a total mess and shows no signs of improvement.

Case in point, who is actually in charge of recruitment? Who has the final say?

Who signed Shinnie, cos there’s no way it was Goodwin, and I’m not convinced McInnes wanted Hayes either.

Or Dadia and Williams? Who sourced and signed off on them? Vinnie, another strange signing 

A lot of this malaise falls at Cormack’s door but then again, why did Gartenman try and launch that long ball yesterday at the 2nd goal, when a square pass was on? That instruction is clearly coming from the manager. 

It is a mess, you are right.

2 hours ago, CCB III said:

His time was up. 

But, would he get a tune out of this squad and the footballers in it? He absolutely would. 

For me, I was a huge, huge huge disliker of him near the end. 

I'd welcome him back with open arms now, and I'm being dead serious. 

The best football I've seen Aberdeen play is that 16/17 season team. 

BHH

What I don't get from those appalled by the thought - do they argue against this? 

3 minutes ago, brownie said:

Lennon would be a disaster. He'd last a week before he's photographed pished somewhere on Market Street.

The club need to do similar to what they've done with their player recruitment strategy. Look elsewhere instead of the bog standard managers plying their trade in Scotland.

Lennon till the end of season would be a success I'm convinced. He'd have us third finish easy. It's a no brainer for me. No long term contract, no compensation, get us to a third place finish and prove you can still manage. Win win. You've got 5 or 6 months to line up a replacement.

• Dildo 1
12 hours ago, Johnnyred1 said:

How on earth can anyone want McInnes. Remember 10 games without scoring, turgid football, defending a 1-0 whilst having one of the best teams for decades. I'll forgive senility but delusion? How can folk criticise Cormack and then want McInnes. 

The 10 games without scoring was when he lost his 3 best attackers and was given Hendry and bloody kamberi and hornby!

1 minute ago, ahead on alphabet said:

Lennon till the end of season would be a success I'm convinced. He'd have us third finish easy. It's a no brainer for me. No long term contract, no compensation, get us to a third place finish and prove you can still manage. Win win. You've got 5 or 6 months to line up a replacement.

IF we appointed Lennon & IF he got us 3rd, then he’d get a longer-term contract though. 
We wouldn’t look for a replacement.

I wouldn’t want that toxic wee bastard anywhere near Pittodrie. 

3 minutes ago, ahead on alphabet said:

Yeah but then, fickle fans pressurise the chairman to give him the job full time. And then, next autumn, here we are again……

Lennon is a big no no for me. I’ve no issue with an interim manager coming in whilst a proper root and branch review is undertaken but Lennon? Nah

13 minutes ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

The first thing we should do is appoint a PROPER Director of Football.

Then, the DOF sources a new manager.

In that order.

EDIT - That won’t happen as we’re too “nice” & wouldn’t ditch long-serving Gunn. 

Agree with all of this.

The one person avoiding any criticism seems to the CEO. What exactly is he doing other than posting stuff on twitter? He must see that the DoF and the first team footballing set up isn't working.

12 minutes ago, brownie said:

The one person avoiding any criticism seems to the CEO. What exactly is he doing other than posting stuff on twitter? He must see that the DoF and the first team footballing set up isn't working.

Yep exactly - would genuinely like to know what he brings to the club that is so great?  Anyone with more knowledge of the club's inner workings able to answer that?  His whole reputation seems to be based on replying to fans on twitter.