Next Manager

Being honest we are not an attractive option for a manager like Thelin right now, he has Europa league/conference, we can't offer that.  We have a squad which does not suit his philosophy either and it requires a fuck load of work, he'd be better off staying there from a career point of view.

Talking  about hoping to have him in for preseason…

Jimmy Thelin has certainly been the man in the headlines this winter.

Among other things, he was placed earlier this year in the Swedish national team, but also Championship clubs such as Sunderland and Swansea.

The latest information regarding Thelin's future places him again in Scottish Aberdeen and according to the Daily Record, the prestigious club wants to bring him in for the summer pre-season.

Now IF Elfsborg's club manager, Stefan Andreasson, comments on the latest information about Jimmy Thelin.

- There is interest and options for him, but we have concluded in our dialogues that he should continue with Elfsborg. Then we'll see what the future holds, we're proud that he's a sought-after name, he says to GP.

Andreasson does not want to say whether a larger transfer fee is required to get rid of Thelin, but he admits that there is a settlement in case something comes up.

- In the best of worlds, it's like with players, that you buy off the coach. But when the right option is available for Jimmy, we will find a solution to it, he says.”

2 minutes ago, minijc said:

Being honest we are not an attractive option for a manager like Thelin right now, he has Europa league/conference, we can't offer that.  We have a squad which does not suit his philosophy either and it requires a fuck load of work, he'd be better off staying there from a career point of view.

Can’t see much, if any, upside for him making the move. The squad needs another overhaul regardless so if he was to move he’d be better doing it sooner rather than later to get a head start on summer recruitment. 

I take it from your “come on to fuck” that all the Thelin chat is just more wind and pish from the board via Burns? 

3 minutes ago, zeroisgod76 said:

Interest from abroad, doesn't specifically mention Aberdeen though does he? He's clearly a manager attracting interest from abroad as Sunderland were also linked with him last year.

Personally I think it's far more likely and fair to infer that whatever the outcome of the approach is, it's more likely that

1) quotes being provided to the press in relation to Thelin attracting interest from abroad by Elfsborg (no mention of any other club being linked with him recently)

2) conversations being had recently relating to his future being discussed openly by his own club's directors in the press

3) multiple sources reporting our interest on social media, Swedish and Scottish press

4) and we have previously interviewed him for the managers position

are all an indication that we have or had interest in him rather than some wild conspiracy that his name has been leaked to placate the fans but each to their own. 

10 minutes ago, VinegarStrokes said:

Personally I think it's far more likely and fair to infer that whatever the outcome of the approach is, it's more likely that

1) quotes being provided to the press in relation to Thelin attracting interest from abroad by Elfsborg (no mention of any other club being linked with him recently)

2) conversations being had recently relating to his future being discussed openly by his own club's directors in the press

3) multiple sources reporting our interest on social media, Swedish and Scottish press

4) and we have previously interviewed him for the managers position

are all an indication that we have or had interest in him rather than some wild conspiracy that his name has been leaked to placate the fans but each to their own. 

I sincerely hope he is a genuine target.. just have no faith in our board and wouldn't put it past them in the slightest to leak stories to try and take the pressure off of them and the mess they're making of our club.

• Upvote 3
Just now, zeroisgod76 said:

I sincerely hope he is a genuine target.. just have no faith in our board and wouldn't put it past them in the slightest to leak stories to try and take the pressure off of them and the mess they're making of our club.

Don't get me wrong, I share your lack of faith in Cormack and Co and undoubtedly we've leaked stories to the press multiple times during his tenure but on this occasion I think there's just too much smoke

The club just need to either get him signed up or move on. They can bump their gums about making sure they get this appointment right but they've had since fucking January 31st. There's taking your time then there's taking the piss. I'd be giving him until Monday. He has a league game on Sunday so let him take charge of them for the last time then get him over here. 

Wasted enough time dicking about. 

• Upvote 8
1 minute ago, AyrshireSheep said:

The club just need to either get him signed up or move on. They can bump their gums about making sure they get this appointment right but they've had since fucking January 31st. There's taking your time then there's taking the piss. I'd be giving him until Monday. He has a league game on Sunday so let him take charge of them for the last time then get him over here. 

Nae convinced we need to move on at all. In two weeks time we could be clear of relegation, missed top six and out of the cup. If that was the case there is absolute no hurry at all

• Upvote 2
1 minute ago, AyrshireSheep said:

Of course if we’d tried to get him at the end of December instead of hanging on to Robson, we might not be fucking about looking like an amateur hour clown show.

18 minutes ago, Gilhaushans said:

That’s not a no…

Thelin told Swedish publication Boras Tidning: “I’m in Elfsborg, enjoying it very well here and putting all my focus on it.

“There’s been a lot of rumours, but if I were to comment on all that, it would go beyond my work here.”

That's far from a no. That's a choosing his words very carefully so he can't be accused of lying when he leaves for Aberdeen. 

13 minutes ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

Of course if we’d tried to get him at the end of December instead of hanging on to Robson, we might not be fucking about looking like an amateur hour clown show.

Sums our board up. Reactive instead of proactive at every possible step.

Could have had Thielen (who was a top target previously and a top target this time) here a year ago but shit our pants and appointed Robson because he unexpectedly won a few games as caretaker.

16 minutes ago, Tord31 said:

Nae convinced we need to move on at all. In two weeks time we could be clear of relegation, missed top six and out of the cup. If that was the case there is absolute no hurry at all

It's more from a preparation point of view. 

Look at how much work needs done in the summer. There could be almost a full new team needing signed again. I'd far rather he was here before the end of the season then started getting plans in place. 

1 hour ago, zeroisgod76 said:

The problem with that is what if we don't confirm staying up until the last couple of games of the season? Whoever the next permanent manager is needs time to analyse the squad we have and decide who he wants to keep and who he wants to get rid of... if we don't appoint them until the season ends then we're going to be on the back foot again. 

Plenty managers start in the summer. You’d ideally want a few weeks to access the squad but it’s not really essential. Sounds like Thelin will require patience anyway so if we do manage to get him and he starts in summer, it’s something I’m okay with.

Thats if we get him however.

Fans are screaming for us to be ambitious and when we go for a manager who matches that and it takes longer than expected they are fuming. 

Has the managerial position been a mess? Yes.

Is it worth taking time to try land someone with this reputation? Yes.

Will we get him? Not sure but Leven is holding the fort pretty well for the time being. We will struggle this weekend however. 

• Upvote 11
9 minutes ago, DelMonte said:

Plenty managers start in the summer. You’d ideally want a few weeks to access the squad but it’s not really essential. Sounds like Thelin will require patience anyway so if we do manage to get him and he starts in summer, it’s something I’m okay with.

Thats if we get him however.

Most managers won’t have to rebuild pretty much an entire squad though. 

I’d be happy enough if it’s him and he starts in the summer if it’s all signed, sealed and confirmed that he’s starting in the summer (for whatever reason). As he’d still be able to assess the squad from afar. What we can’t be doing is holding off until the summer for him to make a decision on whether he’s coming or not depending on how well his season starts with Elfsborg. As if he waits until June and says no then we’re back at square one.

43 minutes ago, AyrshireSheep said:

Personally I’d say they’ve had since last year when Robson was caretaker.

And even if you move on from that point, they should have been looking for the next guys from about October/November just in case Robson couldn’t turn it around.

To get to December without a clear plan B and plan C was abysmal from the likes of Gunn, Cormack and Burrows.

I don't think we've spent all this time working on Thelin, it's also looking like he still isn't 100% interested anyway and we're still hanging about in the hope he changes his mind.

A bit like getting knocked back from a stunner at 7pm then telling her you're still interested in her at 3am despite the fact she's now with Brad Pitt.

1 minute ago, zeroisgod76 said:

I’d be happy enough if it’s him and he starts in the summer if it’s all signed, sealed and confirmed that he’s starting in the summer (for whatever reason). As he’d still be able to assess the squad from afar. What we can’t be doing is holding off until the summer for him to make a decision on whether he’s coming or not depending on how well his season starts with Elfsborg. As if he waits until June and says no then we’re back at square one.

Do they not? Just about every manager who starts at a team has to do that IMO. Every manager wants their own players in. 

If we can get him in summer then that’ll do me.

26 minutes ago, Andy_123 said:

Sums our board up. Reactive instead of proactive at every possible step.

Could have had Thielen (who was a top target previously and a top target this time) here a year ago but shit our pants and appointed Robson because he unexpectedly won a few games as caretaker.

“Oh but but the board HAD to appoint Robson because he was on a good run of wins. The fans wouldn’t have accepted anything less…”

-Bullshit people were saying on this forum a few months ago.

”Robson did a good job, it’s not his fault the players didn’t deliver and we should have just kept faith with him for another couple of years of mediocrity before changing anything because, you know, too many changes and stuff…”

-Also bullshit people were peddling on this forum a few months ago.

1 minute ago, DelMonte said:

Do they not? Just about every manager who starts at a team has to do that IMO. Every manager wants their own players in. 

If we can get him in summer then that’ll do me.

Difference being here we've maybe got 4 players who could play his style of football, that alone takes months to implement.

10 minutes ago, zeroisgod76 said:

I agree to an extent.

If he agrees to come in the summer and he can start work assessing the club from a distance and talking to our recruitment dept that’s fine.

If he’s undecided and we just hand on until the summer hoping he says yes that’s a dangerous strategy.

3 minutes ago, minijc said:

Difference being here we've maybe got 4 players who could play his style of football, that alone takes months to implement.

Who? 

We will sign players to fit in and it should be a gradual process. 

I obviously don’t trust the FMB to do all this but a rebuild is what happens with every new manager as long as we don’t have a structure in place.