Next Manager

2 hours ago, Baaaaa heid said:

Seen mark fothreingham is putting his name forward saying he doesn’t know why he hasn’t had a call from an spfl side yet , came through the German coaching system worked with klingsman at South Korea and felix magaths  number 2 at Fulham and hertha Berlin 

Boy looks like a fully grown version of Wee Man from Jackass

5 hours ago, thurso said:

You must of missed the games where we played teams from Spain, Portugal, Holland, England and other teams from different countries in Europe. 

Must of been a bad blow to the head that made you forget. 

Aye, my parents and grandparents remember going to Pittodrie when we drew with Juventus, when they had the legendary Dino Zoff in goal. Unbelievable keeper. We also gave teams like Honved Budapest a run for their money. If the European tournaments had been structured the way they are now back in the 1970's, we'd have been group stage regulars.

As a side note, I find it sad how we've been underperforming (McInnes's first five years aside) for so long, we have one whole generation (possibly two) of fans who are so accustomed to mediocrity. They don't know our history and see the Fergie era as some sort of fluke, when in fact we were a major force in Scotland from the mid-40's to the mid-90's and in between, gave some crack European teams a good game. The Fergie era was just the culmination of decades of hard work behind the scenes, at a football club incredibly well run and forward thinking. Yes, those days are long gone, but as I said above, rather than be defeatist we should be aspiring to challenge the status quo. At the very least, top 4 finishes and a cup final every 3 years or so (and winning half of them) is not "unrealistic expectations" as the Weegia would have us believe.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
8 hours ago, Jocky Balboa said:

Aye, my parents and grandparents remember going to Pittodrie when we drew with Juventus, when they had the legendary Dino Zoff in goal. Unbelievable keeper. We also gave teams like Honved Budapest a run for their money. If the European tournaments had been structured the way they are now back in the 1970's, we'd have been group stage regulars.

As a side note, I find it sad how we've been underperforming (McInnes's first five years aside) for so long, we have one whole generation (possibly two) of fans who are so accustomed to mediocrity. They don't know our history and see the Fergie era as some sort of fluke, when in fact we were a major force in Scotland from the mid-40's to the mid-90's and in between, gave some crack European teams a good game. The Fergie era was just the culmination of decades of hard work behind the scenes, at a football club incredibly well run and forward thinking. Yes, those days are long gone, but as I said above, rather than be defeatist we should be aspiring to challenge the status quo. At the very least, top 4 finishes and a cup final every 3 years or so (and winning half of them) is not "unrealistic expectations" as the Weegia would have us believe.

The financial gulf was not evident back then. Top 3/4 should be a given right enough however as you allude to the background team also has to be on top of their game to. Ours is a cluster fuck.

8 hours ago, Jocky Balboa said:

Pedantry Alert.   While I realise it is a digression from the main subject under discussion, the oft-repeated 'Dino Zoff played in goal for Juventus at Pittodrie myth', always grips my shit.  Zoff was at Napoli at the time and didn't sign for Juventus until the following season.  Pietro Carmignani kept goal for Juve in both legs of that tie.  That is all.  Carry on.

14 hours ago, minijc said:

Nah, those were qualifiers, big difference between actually qualifying and just failing at the first couple of hurdles. 

The qualifiers still means we got into European competitions but yes we should of got to the groups more often 

15 hours ago, minijc said:

Nah, those were qualifiers, big difference between actually qualifying and just failing at the first couple of hurdles. 

Financially - yes absolutely. 

effort wise? Far easier now. Could have made proper EL with just a win over Hacken who weren’t up to much.

We literally qualified for the conference league by losing to a team weaker than any of the teams that beat us in the Europa league qualifiers. 

we need to get our act together and take advantage of this while the co-efficient is good. Hopefully our brothers in blue will continue to fly the flag for our proud nation and keep it easy for us. No surrender Lewis Ferguson reds 

11 hours ago, Jocky Balboa said:

I remember that Juventus game well. A rare Joey Harper headed goal into the Beach End and a breakaway solo run by Anastasi, one of the best strikers in Europe at the time. I can still see Davie Robb chasing him all the way to the Merkland end and lunging in twice to try to trip him up from behind but he was too quick for him. The match was played in a blizzard and remember walking across the Links course and struggling to see the Pittodrie lights through the snow it was that bad. One of the few games that I persuaded my old man to come with me. Great times.

• Upvote 2
4 minutes ago, slippers said:

Are people being serious with a suggestion like that? Im all for promoting potential but this is not the time after our previous appointments. 

It blows my mind this place.

'Fed up of us being a learning on the job type club, we need experience and not this novice type of manager'.

Aye, Stuart Duff plays good fitba with the young team... or what about Darren Young.

Wild.

5 minutes ago, slippers said:

Are people being serious with a suggestion like that? Im all for promoting potential but this is not the time after our previous appointments. 

Pretty certain it must be a wind up. He has a 37% win rate over 390 games in lower league football. Not even close to the level we need as a manager.

32 minutes ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

Darren Young. How dire were times in the early / mid 00s that Dunfermline were able to take our vice captain and double his wages 😐

Indeed but they eventually went into Administration so they were clearly paying out wages they couldn't afford. 

18 minutes ago, DelMonte said:

Wayne Rooney on Stick to Football podcast saying he’d take a job at a lower level than he has worked at already.

Has Dave Cormack written all over it.

We'd be a step up in Shreks managerial career.....

On 2/19/2024 at 7:38 PM, Arthur FN Shelby said:

We should hold out for nothing less than what he’s worth. £1 million it is then.

1 hour ago, Arild said:

Indeed but they eventually went into Administration so they were clearly paying out wages they couldn't afford. 

yep, 120% of their income was going on wages ... sustainable approach that

4 hours ago, Roberto said:

Young needs a Dundee/Livingston or something to show if he's a good manager or not.

3 hours ago, slippers said:

Remember red Clive's previous account? That will answer your question, slips

1 minute ago, DD1903 said:

Remember red Clive's previous account? That will answer your question, slips

I will be honest, I'm not exactly switched on at present to figure out who he is.

I gathered he had been here before but due to the fact so many cunts seem to create a second account these days after being punted or not liking their original username.

Fa is it? Fas the imposter?

5 minutes ago, Roberto said:

I will be honest, I'm not exactly switched on at present to figure out who he is.

I gathered he had been here before but due to the fact so many cunts seem to create a second account these days after being punted or not liking their original username.

Fa is it? Fas the imposter?

Finlay. The man with young sone and the dragon persona