Georgia and Norway qualifiers.

19 minutes ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

Aye total waste of talent. Shame. 

also when he was bang in form scoring 40 a season - Gordon Strachan kept picking Chris Martin 🤦🏼‍♂️

We'd have qualified for whatever Strachan's last campaign in charge was if he had played thumb up front the whole time.

Beyond reason why he persevered with Martin and kept a 40 goal striker on the bench every game.

1 hour ago, Andy_123 said:

We'd have qualified for whatever Strachan's last campaign in charge was if he had played thumb up front the whole time.

Beyond reason why he persevered with Martin and kept a 40 goal striker on the bench every game.

Aye I think that’s what led to strachan going. He eventually got it right but took far too long. 

celtic were coasting the league with a team full of Scottish players but strachan was obsessed with English championship players for most of the campaign 

15 minutes ago, thurso said:

Yep I’m trolling. Iv given my views on why I think he’s not good enough and who id pick instead but no one has ever come with a counter argument on why he is so good. 

In fairness no one needs a good counter argument because everyone is thinking the same thing.

So why waste energy on someone so clueless?

• Upvote 1
50 minutes ago, Russell said:

He's no Ramadani, I'll give you that

Yep I suppose McGinn does have it in his favour that he has never been schooled by a team like darvel. 

37 minutes ago, Roberto said:

In fairness no one needs a good counter argument because everyone is thinking the same thing.

So why waste energy on someone so clueless?

Yep I suppose we will see in about 6 months time when we play in the euros. He might have learned to stop falling over so much by then 

5 hours ago, Andy_123 said:

I was already losing interest in travelling to watch Scotland however Strachan playing that plank of wood Martin instead of Griffiths probably pushed me over the edge and I think that the last game that I attended was the England game in 2017.

1 hour ago, thurso said:

Yep I’m trolling. Iv given my views on why I think he’s not good enough and who id pick instead but no one has ever come with a counter argument on why he is so good. 

His stats speak for themselves. 

On 11/19/2023 at 9:53 AM, milne_afc said:

Do you get emosh about Macrae’s Battalion? Or do you see it for the cringey old shite it is?

I go to Haymarket every rememberemce Sunday and it is emotional. 

However. I don't sing the national anthem. And I don't romanticise war.

I feel sad that so many young men, some almost boys, lost their lives in such an horrific and terrifying war. I'm sure many young men from Aberdeen among them.

• Upvote 1
On 11/19/2023 at 9:37 AM, ERNIE said:

Why don't you support Scotland?

I'm maybe older than many on here. In my younger years when I followed Hearts everywhere, the Scotland team was dominated by McCoist, McStay, Gough, Goram, MacLeod, Johnston, Durie, Aitken, Grant, Whyte, Walker, Coyne, Fleck blah.

It was an OF select and my love of Hearts and watching Robbo, Colquhoun, Levein, Mackay get overlooked. Or. Players like Tosh McKinlay all of a sudden be good enough when moving along the M8. Along with SFA and ref bias domestically. Just seen me disconnect.

I actually followed Scotland to Italia 90. John Robertson was the top Scottish Premier League goalscorer 89-90. He didn't even make the squad. We were the only nation to leave our top domestic scorer at home. That was me done.

Plus generally all the tartan army stuff isn't me.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Wester Hailes Skins said:

I go to Haymarket every rememberemce Sunday and it is emotional. 

However. I don't sing the national anthem. And I don't romanticise war.

I feel sad that so many young men, some almost boys, lost their lives in such an horrific and terrifying war. I'm sure many young men from Aberdeen among them.

Yeah yeah. I just find it a bit creepy and meaningless. Was it 1 or 2 that was the war to end all wars? Yet, here we are. 
Fucks me off, min.

There’s a poppy display thing with the Dons war dead named on a plaque or something in the RDS, only really became a thing after the fetishisation of soldiers post Iraq 2. Fair fucks but not for me. 

11 hours ago, Wester Hailes Skins said:

I'm maybe older than many on here. In my younger years when I followed Hearts everywhere, the Scotland team was dominated by McCoist, McStay, Gough, Goram, MacLeod, Johnston, Durie, Aitken, Grant, Whyte, Walker, Coyne, Fleck blah.

It was an OF select and my love of Hearts and watching Robbo, Colquhoun, Levein, Mackay get overlooked. Or. Players like Tosh McKinlay all of a sudden be good enough when moving along the M8. Along with SFA and ref bias domestically. Just seen me disconnect.

I actually followed Scotland to Italia 90. John Robertson was the top Scottish Premier League goalscorer 89-90. He didn't even make the squad. We were the only nation to leave our top domestic scorer at home. That was me done.

Plus generally all the tartan army stuff isn't me.

Tommy Coyne got capped for Ireland, though I think only because he was overlooked by Scotland.

I agree with Robertson, he deserved recognition long before he got it but he had to wait behind those prolific international goalscorers

Graeme Sharp, David Speedie, Brian McClair 

On 11/22/2023 at 7:34 AM, ericblack4boss said:

Tommy Coyne got capped for Ireland, though I think only because he was overlooked by Scotland.

I agree with Robertson, he deserved recognition long before he got it but he had to wait behind those prolific international goalscorers

Graeme Sharp, David Speedie, Brian McClair 

Robbo was a great striker no question but did we not have the likes of Mo Johnston and Charlie Nic. 

The Tommy Coyne thing is correct. EIRE his 2nd choice.

My memory is hazy but was Frank McDougall ever included in any Scotland squads? SAF held him in very high regard and I know that SAF only managed Scotland for a dozen or so games, but I’m surprised that Frank was never capped by SAF, especially considering some of the “non-scoring” forwards we had at that time, such as Graeme Sharp (12caps, 1 goal) and David Speedie (10 caps, 0 goals), but I can’t recall if Frank was ever included in any Scotland squads. Can anyone recall?

Nich

9 hours ago, Simply Red said:

Robbo was a great striker no question but did we not have the likes of Mo Johnston and Charlie Nic. 

The Tommy Coyne thing is correct. EIRE his 2nd choice.

Tommy Coyne was s great striker only Larsson, Robertson and McCoist scored more top division league goals since 1975 than him.

A player I would love us to have signed,

Yep no complaints over Johnston but Nicholas could argue he deserved a recall during his Aberdeen days, 

Sharp,  Speedie, McClair, even McInally, and Durie probably didn't deserve to play ahead of Robertson 

On 11/24/2023 at 9:48 AM, Itsagoal said:

My memory is hazy but was Frank McDougall ever included in any Scotland squads? SAF held him in very high regard and I know that SAF only managed Scotland for a dozen or so games, but I’m surprised that Frank was never capped by SAF, especially considering some of the “non-scoring” forwards we had at that time, such as Graeme Sharp (12caps, 1 goal) and David Speedie (10 caps, 0 goals), but I can’t recall if Frank was ever included in any Scotland squads. Can anyone recall?

Can anyone recall if Frunkie was ever included in a Scotland squad?

and why did SAF not cap him, instead of the likes of Speedie and sharp who couldn’t score in barrel of fannies.

20 hours ago, Itsagoal said:

Can anyone recall if Frunkie was ever included in a Scotland squad?

and why did SAF not cap him, instead of the likes of Speedie and sharp who couldn’t score in barrel of fannies.

I recall Fergie saying in one of his books that he probably should have called up more Aberdeen players but didn't want to be seen as biased towards his own players. 

Also he was only in charge of the 2 Australia playoff games and the 3 world cup games so a pretty short window 

27 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

I recall Fergie saying in one of his books that he probably should have called up more Aberdeen players but didn't want to be seen as biased towards his own players. 

Also he was only in charge of the 2 Australia playoff games and the 3 world cup games so a pretty short window 

That's exactly what he said in one of his books, his first one I think. Scotland had the best defence in Europe in the mid 80s but pandered to the Weegie lobby so the likes of McStay and all sorts of mediocre shite got called up in midfield rather than the likes of Bett who was at Aberdeen by then. If Bett had stayed at the huns and been as good for them as he was for us he'd have 70-80 caps.

Scotland then were always undermined by individuals subverting the cause. I seem to remember (rightly?) Dalgleish refused to go to Mexico in '86 because Fergie didn't pick Hansen. Hundreds of huns calling off during the cheating years.

The irony is Fergie was maybe right. If you look at Scotland right now Steve Clarke has a team which is way more than the sum of its parts, which is exactly what Fergie had with us beyond the central core of superstars.

I could be talking shite though.