Aberdeen 2 - 1 Livingston

12 hours ago, donswin1983 said:

Come on, min! Morris was decent against EF, decent against hearts too, including the best/only cross I’ve seen him put on the money for the Duk header. Continue to improve the crosses, play him as an out and out winger and there is a player in there! 
actually thought he added something on Sunday too..

For about 10 minutes on Sunday, after Morris came on, we had the huns scrambling. We put him wide right, Duk wide left, and Miovski straight through the middle, and suddenly we looked like a team that could actually attack. 

Defenders and midfielders pushed further forward, and instead of lumping 60 yard high balls forward we were able to actually choose passes that had hun defenders turning. 

If only we'd been brave enough to do that 80 minutes earlier. 

That should be a template for how we set up and play tonight. Morris and Duk wide, 3 in midfield, 4 in defence. McGarry in for Hayes, and a midfield of Shinnie, McGrath and Polvara. 

• Upvote 3

I'd be inclined to make as many changes to the starting XI from Sunday as possible - so bring in Polvara, Barron, Duk, McGarry, MacDonald, Morris.  The games are coming thick and fast until the winter break and I can't be fucked with any more tiredness excuses.  We all know it will be 3 at the back so it is what it is.

A nervy 2-1 win.

57 minutes ago, slippers said:

I wouldn’t be surprised at a win lose or draw tonight. If we don’t win though I don’t think anything will change. I do wonder if the ABZ pod comment is true as it feels like he has zero pressure on him. We are at the point now where getting to a cup final is seen as great success from both the board and a small amount of fans. It’s pretty wild. 

Don’t think anyone would. 

• Haha 1
4 minutes ago, DandyWarhol said:

I'd be inclined to make as many changes to the starting XI from Sunday as possible - so bring in Polvara, Barron, Duk, McGarry, MacDonald, Morris.  The games are coming thick and fast until the winter break and I can't be fucked with any more tiredness excuses.  We all know it will be 3 at the back so it is what it is.

A nervy 2-1 win.

Another vote for making a heap of changes. Shake it up.

12 minutes ago, Schapenneuker said:

For about 10 minutes on Sunday, after Morris came on, we had the huns scrambling. We put him wide right, Duk wide left, and Miovski straight through the middle, and suddenly we looked like a team that could actually attack. 

Defenders and midfielders pushed further forward, and instead of lumping 60 yard high balls forward we were able to actually choose passes that had hun defenders turning. 

That should be a template for how we set up and play tonight. Morris and Duk wide, 3 in midfield, 4 in defence. McGarry in for Hayes, and a midfield of Shinnie, McGrath and Polvara. 

We didn't really, I think your forgetting how poor we actually were on Sunday.

It will be same old same old tonight, still going along tonight maybe we will go four at the back and maybe pigs might fly. 

1 hour ago, slippers said:

I wouldn’t be surprised at a win lose or draw tonight. If we don’t win though I don’t think anything will change. I do wonder if the ABZ pod comment is true as it feels like he has zero pressure on him. We are at the point now where getting to a cup final is seen as great success from both the board and a small amount of fans. It’s pretty wild. 

At this stage, I just don’t think there is any way back for Robson. I don’t think he has the ability to turn it around. Majority of fans seem to be of the same opinion.

I don’t think Cormack will admit to a third mistake, and he’s really doubled down on his support in recent weeks, so it may have to get really ugly before a change is made. Fans will have to really turn on Cormack IMO. Could be a brutal few months coming up… Merry Christmas everyone!

35 minutes ago, Schapenneuker said:

It is a catch 22 that 

I understand the theory of not "attacking" constantly in games you aren't the favourite for as it leaves you wide open

But stuff it

I'd love to see the stats for how many wins we get in games where we decide beforehand we have no chance of winning,  so set up pathetically defensively 

I'll bet it rarely works

So why not just attack 

Align it with the philosophy of a vibrant, attacking team and make that clear that's what we are going to do 

It'll end up in a few scuddings, but I'm sure we would accept that to an extent if it means we actually show belief

The attacking mantra might just break the spirit of your celtics or "rangers " too

Just bloody believe in yourself 

If the team, including the manager doesn't believe we will win a game, why should the fans pay money to go?

• Thanks 1
1 minute ago, Millertime said:

It is a catch 22 that 

I understand the theory of not "attacking" constantly in games you aren't the favourite for as it leaves you wide open

But stuff it

I'd love to see the stats for how many wins we get in games where we decide beforehand we have no chance of winning,  so set up pathetically defensively 

I'll bet it rarely works

So why not just attack 

Align it with the philosophy of a vibrant, attacking team and make that clear that's what we are going to do 

It'll end up in a few scuddings, but I'm sure we would accept that to an extent if it means we actually show belief

The attacking mantra might just break the spirit of your celtics or "rangers " too

If the team, including the manager doesn't believe we will win a game, why should the fans pay money to go?

Maybe that's the problem with hiring someone from Motherwell FC

• Thanks 1
15 minutes ago, Millertime said:

It is a catch 22 that 

But stuff it

I'll bet it rarely works

So why not just attack 

Robson was scared to attack and get beat 4-0 because he knew he would be out of a job. Because he’s a fucking pussy. 

40 minutes ago, Millertime said:

It is a catch 22 that 

But stuff it

I'll bet it rarely works

So why not just attack 

Agree completely with this, especially in a one off cup final!! only way to play

50 minutes ago, Millertime said:

It is a catch 22 that 

But stuff it

I'll bet it rarely works

So why not just attack 

Totally agree with this.

Villa just did it to Man City - they played their way, didn't let City get a foothold and absolutely dominated them (Robson says this is impossible). The easy option is to succumb to the "higher" opposition and just shut up shop and try to steal a win. You can then play on the players heart, organisation etc (Robson's mantra).

A creative manager however will go for the jugular, will try to win despite the risks it will involve, and will tactically and straegically find ways to attack the opposition to allow you to WIN the game!

Fans will respond to this - Will Villa or Spurs win the EPL? Probably not (although Villa giving it a go) - Are their fans absolutely loving the product on the park and happy to go to games win or lose - 100% Yes!!

This is where Robson's constant praising of the opposition domestically and abroad is doing my nut in - Villa, Girona, Leverkusen, Bologna - All punching above the level he'd see as possible. To beat Rangers and Celtic is possible, it just needs the right team on the park, strategy and belief. Currently we don't have any of the 3.

2 minutes ago, DoonTheLine said:

Totally agree with this.

Villa just did it to Man City - they played their way, didn't let City get a foothold and absolutely dominated them (Robson says this is impossible). The easy option is to succumb to the "higher" opposition and just shut up shop and try to steal a win. You can then play on the players heart, organisation etc (Robson's mantra).

A creative manager however will go for the jugular, will try to win despite the risks it will involve, and will tactically and straegically find ways to attack the opposition to allow you to WIN the game!

Fans will respond to this - Will Villa or Spurs win the EPL? Probably not (although Villa giving it a go) - Are their fans absolutely loving the product on the park and happy to go to games win or lose - 100% Yes!!

I wonder if the spurs fans are as happy with that approach as they were 2 months ago.

(suspect they are right enough, relative to where they’ve been)

1 minute ago, strachanmcgheegoal said:

I wonder if the spurs fans are as happy with that approach as they were 2 months ago.

(suspect they are right enough, relative to where they’ve been)

Think they realised how thin the squad was and that to them it was a blip/injury crisis which they've recovered from the last couple of weeks. 

Most of all they didn't have a manager making excuses - Lost Harry Kane, didn't let it get to him, Lost players to suspension and injury, didn't let it get to him, Lost 3 in a row, didn't let it get to him - Fans will always support that I feel. 

Of course he will want to win trophies, but Spurs haven't for years anyway so why not try to play great attacking football AND win a trophy?

If Robson lost Miovski, had an injury crisis at CB and lost 3 or 4, it'd all be excuses and nonsense. Plus he'd likely go 6-4-0 in formation!

1 hour ago, Schapenneuker said:

There’s a problem our Ginger nut manager thinks we have no right to win. 

2 hours ago, Schapenneuker said:

It’s not even a brave policy, as you put it. It’s a fucking pragmatic policy.

• Upvote 1
33 minutes ago, DoonTheLine said:

Of course he will want to win trophies, but Spurs haven't for years anyway so why not try to play great attacking football AND win a trophy?

I think that’s the key part.  Try and win it.  As opposed to try and not lose it, one we’ve no right to be winning apparently.

But I do have sympathy.  Such is the resource disparity that is openly encouraged if you take that open attacking philosophy taking the game to them ideally with youth (the Jess and Booth approach if you like) you can get destroyed if they happen to hit their own purple patch.

Just now, strachanmcgheegoal said:

I think that’s the key part.  Try and win it.  As opposed to try and not lose it, one we’ve no right to be winning apparently.

But I do have sympathy.  Such is the resource disparity that is openly encouraged if you take that open attacking philosophy taking the game to them ideally with youth (the Jess and Booth approach if you like) you can get destroyed if they happen to hit their own purple patch.

Oh aye it can definitely backfire, but i've often wondered why teams just sit back and lose 6-0 like we did against Celtic earlier this season rather than attack and lose say 7-3? At least you had a go, why just let them dictate to you? I can understand it slightly if you are a lower league side, trying to get a footing in the game perhaps, but we aren't - we should be the 3rd biggest team in the country and constantly pushing the top 2 especially if they wobbles/challenges of their own which in turn would lead to trophies. 

Do Feyenoord lie down like this to Ajax/PSV?

Do Braga lie down like this to Lisbon/Porto/Benfica?

Do Leipzig lie down like this to Dortmund/Bayern?

In all cases i'd say no, yet we do? Why?