Summer 2024 Transfer Window

15 minutes ago, starryfish said:

Realistically who will we attract?

Unlikely to be any one of any substance.

1) Dave Cormack’s track record suggests he doesn’t want an experienced, “strong” minded manager who will question things.

2) No-one with credibility will want to report to a DoF such as Steven Gunn 😆

But I do agree with the point that was made. 
Instead of spunking £750k on the likes of Gueye & Morris, try & invest in a proven manager, as hard as that might be. I’d rather buy out a successful manager from a contract than spend £500k on a player. 
I’ll give the club the time to sort this out and see what happens come April/May, but the last 3 appointments have been horrendous & don’t fill you with confidence. 

2 hours ago, starryfish said:

Chris Wilder was ready to sign until Cormack started dictating things to him. Say what you want but he’s a manager with PL experience. I think we’d be surprised at the level of manager we could attract if we actually invested there. 

• Downvote 1
4 hours ago, starryfish said:

I’m not stupid enough to think that it will be a household name. But I’d like someone that is currently doing well at a team in Europe. Someone we can look at the stats and see he’s punching well above what he should be with the resources. Someone that plays a nice style of football to align with what we are suppost to be trying to do. 

I actually think that we could surprise a few if we sold the next manager the right project and gave them a decent budget to work with in Scottish terms. Can just imagine the press if we appoint someone in that ilk, no Scottish experience blah blah blah. Think that’s the problem it’s been that way far too long. 

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, pittodriepie83 said:

Chris Wilder was ready to sign until Cormack started dictating things to him. Say what you want but he’s a manager with PL experience. I think we’d be surprised at the level of manager we could attract if we actually invested there. 

That's not quite true.

9 minutes ago, pittodriepie83 said:

It’s the story I got via someone who was told directly from Wilder that he was taking the job & taking him in as a coach. 

Fair enough but I have my doubts, Wilder would have been the manager had a glaiket cunt been better at his job.

2 minutes ago, minijc said:

Fair enough but I have my doubts, Wilder would have been the manager had a glaiket cunt been better at his job.

I was surprised too but the story I got was he was ready to sign, Cormack then began dictating that he had to have x amount of youth players in the squad/starting each week as part of the “Aberdeen model”. Wilder said he’d pick a team to win & if it included youth then great, but wasn’t going to pick them for the sake of it. Wilder then felt DC would be sticking his nose in to team selection, and next minute the deal was off. Not sure if it was called off by our side or Wilder’s side.

Just now, pittodriepie83 said:

I was surprised too but the story I got was he was ready to sign, Cormack then began dictating that he had to have x amount of youth players in the squad/starting each week as part of the “Aberdeen model”. Wilder said he’d pick a team to win & if it included youth then great, but wasn’t going to pick them for the sake of it. Wilder then felt DC would be sticking his nose in to team selection, and next minute the deal was off. Not sure if it was called off by our side or Wilder’s side.

I think this story is dubious after Glass was previously allowed to pick a team without anyone from our youth system breaking a long standing tradition. 

If a rookie like Glass was allowed to do it I doubt Cormack would have subsequently insisted that an experienced manager wasn't.

5 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

I think this story is dubious after Glass was previously allowed to pick a team without anyone from our youth system breaking a long standing tradition. 

If a rookie like Glass was allowed to do it I doubt Cormack would have subsequently insisted that an experienced manager wasn't.

I agree it seems strange but only passing on what Wilder himself said. Whether he’s embellished the story, who knows. But nothing would surprise me with Cormack, Glass was getting the job as soon as Cormack took over anyway so probably wasn’t an in depth interview to discuss that stuff. 

4 hours ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

Unlikely to be any one of any substance.

1) Dave Cormack’s track record suggests he doesn’t want an experienced, “strong” minded manager who will question things.

2) No-one with credibility will want to report to a DoF such as Steven Gunn 😆

But I do agree with the point that was made. 
Instead of spunking £750k on the likes of Gueye & Morris, try & invest in a proven manager, as hard as that might be. I’d rather buy out a successful manager from a contract than spend £500k on a player. 
I’ll give the club the time to sort this out and see what happens come April/May, but the last 3 appointments have been horrendous & don’t fill you with confidence. 

This appointment gives the Club time to complete its planned detailed review of the football operation which began at the end of last year and will inform and support the process of selecting and appointing a new management team ahead of season 2024/25.

Regarding the review, Cormack said: “Ambitious clubs regularly invest in independent advice to support internal coaching, data analysis, recruitment, and medical teams with the goal of improving performance through continuous learning and development.

“The highly experienced team of independent advisors, who do this work with some of the best clubs across the globe, will make recommendations to allow us to understand what we can improve upon in terms of best practice going forward.

“The review will include benchmarking the Club against similar teams that currently outperform us in Europe.

“With this work well underway, and due to be completed by early April, we are aiming to have a new management team confirmed by the end of the season.”

The above is what Cormack said at the Warno unveiling, regarding the review. If he doesn’t follow through on all elements, not just the new manager but also the DoF, then surely, he needs to be held to account by the supporters and shareholders?

Fucked if I’m renewing my season ticket if he appoints more Gunner and Glass types.

10 minutes ago, pittodriepie83 said:

I agree it seems strange but only passing on what Wilder himself said. Whether he’s embellished the story, who knows. But nothing would surprise me with Cormack, Glass was getting the job as soon as Cormack took over anyway so probably wasn’t an in depth interview to discuss that stuff. 

You're not passing on what Wilder said. You're passing on what someone told you Wilder said. 

In addition to this Robson must have had a few starting line ups without club developed players too. 

His entire run last season was based on a team that didn't come through our youth system. 

12 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

You're not passing on what Wilder said. You're passing on what someone told you Wilder said. 

In addition to this Robson must have had a few starting line ups without club developed players too. 

His entire run last season was based on a team that didn't come through our youth system. 

You’re right. I’m passing on what someone very close to Wilder said. Someone who wouldn’t have any reason to make it up. Like I say, whether it’s been embellished or not, who knows. I’m not particularly arsed who believes what, just passing some info on. 

23 hours ago, starryfish said:

We'll attract the quality of manager we're willing to pay for.

Cormack has paid peanuts up until Warnock and has had numpties in charge. Just now he's paying more and got a much better manager in in Warnock.

Fairly simple. Most managers are mercenaries the same way the players are.

19 hours ago, sooth_stander said:

This appointment gives the Club time to complete its planned detailed review of the football operation which began at the end of last year and will inform and support the process of selecting and appointing a new management team ahead of season 2024/25.

Regarding the review, Cormack said: “Ambitious clubs regularly invest in independent advice to support internal coaching, data analysis, recruitment, and medical teams with the goal of improving performance through continuous learning and development.

“The highly experienced team of independent advisors, who do this work with some of the best clubs across the globe, will make recommendations to allow us to understand what we can improve upon in terms of best practice going forward.

“The review will include benchmarking the Club against similar teams that currently outperform us in Europe.

“With this work well underway, and due to be completed by early April, we are aiming to have a new management team confirmed by the end of the season.”

The above is what Cormack said at the Warno unveiling, regarding the review. If he doesn’t follow through on all elements, not just the new manager but also the DoF, then surely, he needs to be held to account by the supporters and shareholders?

Fucked if I’m renewing my season ticket if he appoints more Gunner and Glass types.

If Cormack "marks his own homework" post the review, and basically replicates previous decision making, then I too will be refraining from financial support to the club until it is fully deserved.

The last 3 odd years have been truly unacceptable in the most part and I wouldn't welcome more of the same. 

• Upvote 2
22 hours ago, sooth_stander said:

Somebody need to find out who is actually doing the review. 

Knowing us it'll be "Cormack & Gunn Sports Consultancy". 

Charlatan. Get him in the bin. 

22 minutes ago, AyrshireSheep said:

Somebody need to find out who is actually doing the review. 

Knowing us it'll be "Cormack & Gunn Sports Consultancy". 

Charlatan. Get him in the bin. 

The thing about this review is….. the BBC got hold of the story; had they not, would Cormack have made mention of it, at the Warno unveiling? I very much doubt it.

The other thing, this Chris Badlan fella, is he the new de facto DoF? He’s come in as HoR but looking at his history, looks more suited to the DoF role 

34 minutes ago, sooth_stander said:

The thing about this review is….. the BBC got hold of the story; had they not, would Cormack have made mention of it, at the Warno unveiling? I very much doubt it.

The other thing, this Chris Badlan fella, is he the new de facto DoF? He’s come in as HoR but looking at his history, looks more suited to the DoF role 

Badlan may well have his eye on the DoF job but wanted to get his foot in the door first and then outmuscle Gunn, which I doubt would be hard for someone with previous DoF experience

31 minutes ago, Hoofball said:

Badlan may well have his eye on the DoF job but wanted to get his foot in the door first and then outmuscle Gunn, which I doubt would be hard for someone with previous DoF experience

We don’t currently have a DoF though, that much is obvious, as all the previous Cormack appointed managers have reported directly to him, and now Burrows, so if we do create a proper and not pretendy DoF as part of this strategic review, then it will be a major redesign from the club.

34 minutes ago, Hoofball said:

He’s the new head of recruitment. Nothing to do with DOF. I had heard we are looking to add someone to oversee the football operation though. 

• Confused 1

22 minutes ago, slippers said:

He’s the new head of recruitment. Nothing to do with DOF. I had heard we are looking to add someone to oversee the football operation though. 

I’m fully aware he isn’t the DoF and is HoR. I was replying sooth_stander who thinks he may become DoF as that was his job at Blackpool

• Upvote 1

I notice the guy Kolaric (linked at the same time as Tonio Teklic as a way to pass Varazdin cash as a workaround for the big sell on clause) moved on.

I wondered if we'd be back in for him since we like to have long term targets these days. Club dropped that quote after Jensen signed and clearly we chased Phillips across a couple of windows

3 hours ago, Tord31 said:

I notice the guy Kolaric (linked at the same time as Tonio Teklic as a way to pass Varazdin cash as a workaround for the big sell on clause) moved on.

I wondered if we'd be back in for him since we like to have long term targets these days. Club dropped that quote after Jensen signed and clearly we chased Phillips across a couple of windows

I can see why Robson would have been chasing him for a while.