Cormack Thread

3 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

I can't see the season being curtailed now?   I reckon they'll try and finish it this season.

A couple of hundred nomadic footballers are unlikely to have any impact on the hospital numbers. 

There's the Holyrood elections due in 4 months. Sturgeon will be looking for any opportunity to make herself look like a strong leader in the run up to it (especially with the Salmond shit she's got herself into). 

I think one more transgression by a club not sticking strictly to the rules and she'll pull the plug regardless

8 minutes ago, Ten Caat said:

There's the Holyrood elections due in 4 months. Sturgeon will be looking for any opportunity to make herself look like a strong leader in the run up to it (especially with the Salmond shit she's got herself into). 

I think one more transgression by a club not sticking strictly to the rules and she'll pull the plug regardless

Can't see it.

The Celtic thing was the ideal opportunity to do that if that was what they wanted and they never took it. 

3 hours ago, Sonoftherock said:

One thing I remember, way back when last season was canned, Cormack said he was budgeting for having no fans attending for the entire 20/21 season.  At that point COVID was fairly new on the scene, and his statement stuck with me - as I thought he was getting carried away!  ....little did I know!

So, in a nutshell, I'm hoping for some positive news - in relative terms - hopefully we're better off than the other teams around us!  No idea how the Edinburgh clubs are affording the significant investment in playing staff that they've made lately! 

I'm completely bemused by their transfer activity this window. Both halves of Edinburgh have signed players that will be commanding a decent wage. Under normal circumstances I'd imagine we'd have signed a few of them. Hearts in particular will have made a larger loss then ourselves through relegation alongside everything else thats going on. James Anderson must have some deep pockets.

At the start of the season Hibs were threatening to close their youth Academy deferring wages and then going on to sign two players for a total of 600k. This window they fork out to get Irvine (end of the season contract) and Cadden.

1 minute ago, CalgaryDon said:

I'm completely bemused by their transfer activity this window. Both halves of Edinburgh have signed players that will be commanding a decent wage. Under normal circumstances I'd imagine we'd have signed a few of them. Hearts in particular will have made a larger loss then ourselves through relegation alongside everything else thats going on. James Anderson must have some deep pockets.

At the start of the season Hibs were threatening to close their youth Academy deferring wages and then going on to sign two players for a total of 600k. This window they fork out to get Irvine (end of the season contract) and Cadden.

As you say Hearts have a benefactor and a fair amount of fan income through the Freedom of Hearts thing. 

Hibs I suspect are preparing for a sale of Nisbet in the summer for decent money. 

2 minutes ago, CalgaryDon said:

Considering how little Hearts will get in return for those signings, i.e. unless they win the cup, no Europe and the return to the Premiership will only be a few hundred thousand, it doesn't seem sensible to be splashing the cash. Win the league, then worry about next season in the summer.

Hibs are maybe thinking of pushing for second, or at the very least third and making Europe to recoup those costs. But you're correct, one minute they were going to close their youth academy, the next they are spending money in the transfer window.

We need to make third this season at the very least. Especially with the chance of getting to the group stages with 3rd place, we really need to push on. It's slightly worrying that we're publicly coming out with "we're not signing anyone" when we really could do with another striker and an actual CB to partner Hoban.  Either we're a lot more skint than we're making on, compared with other clubs (training facilities costing shit loads?) or Cormack is just not letting McInnes waste more money on dross. 

35 minutes ago, StandFree1982 said:

Considering how little Hearts will get in return for those signings, i.e. unless they win the cup, no Europe and the return to the Premiership will only be a few hundred thousand, it doesn't seem sensible to be splashing the cash. Win the league, then worry about next season in the summer.

Hibs are maybe thinking of pushing for second, or at the very least third and making Europe to recoup those costs. But you're correct, one minute they were going to close their youth academy, the next they are spending money in the transfer window.

We need to make third this season at the very least. Especially with the chance of getting to the group stages with 3rd place, we really need to push on. It's slightly worrying that we're publicly coming out with "we're not signing anyone" when we really could do with another striker and an actual CB to partner Hoban.  Either we're a lot more skint than we're making on, compared with other clubs (training facilities costing shit loads?) or Cormack is just not letting McInnes waste more money on dross. 

A lot more skint than we are letting on.

16 minutes ago, rocket_scientist said:

It wouldn't surprise me either but given he wasn't worth anywhere near that in his last 12/18 months the first time, and it was clear his best days were behind him, taking him back was the crime and particularly at that money relative to the rest. Shit management. 

Oh aye. Absolutely no doubt about that 

8 minutes ago, rocket_scientist said:

The bigger tragedy is that if it was obvious to you, me and thousands of us - as it was - then why hasn't the board seen through McInnes years ago.

Rhetorical. Milne was so bad at manager recruitment he didn't need to go through it again when he was already planning his future sans AFC, thus throwing the chequebook at him.

Cos mccinnes is a good manager 

7 hours ago, maryhilldon said:

I said at the time he re-signed,  it stunk of Mcinnes sorting a pal out with a pension fund. 3.5 year contract for a 30 year old winger!?  Ridiculous. 

That's exactly what I said too. 

He was com back to just coast along to the end of his career, with a 3.5 Yr contract in his pocket, and a manager who has his obvious favs, 

I would believe the Joe Lewis figure. 

Mc crorie seems hard to believe but if he is on loan then it will be the hun wage,  I've no doubt his wage will drop when he signs for us permanently. 

28 minutes ago, ericblack4boss said:

He was com back to just coast along to the end of his career, with a 3.5 Yr contract in his pocket, and a manager who has his obvious favs, 

Mc crorie seems hard to believe but if he is on loan then it will be the hun wage,  I've no doubt his wage will drop when he signs for us permanently. 

Got to remember his wage at Rangers will be that of a squad player, coming to us as a starting player, I doubt he'd have to take that much of a drop, if any. 

2 hours ago, ericblack4boss said:

I think Lewis is on a bit more than what was quoted.

And McCrorie on a bit less.

If you swapped them round I think you wouldn't be too far off