Cormack Thread

5 hours ago, CalgaryDon said:

Others may say this is an overreaction however I would go as far as saying this is the most disappointing and concerning past two weeks we've had while McInnes has been at the helm. Despite selling Mckenna and a few players departing during this window we are unable to sign one player unless its as part of an exchange deal with The Rangers.

Hibs and Hearts will be in the exact same financial situation as ourselves. Certainly Hearts. Hibs haven't sold anyone this campaign and in fact spent two 300k fees on two separate individuals at the start of the season. In the past day they have signed Cadden and Irvine who will both be on decent wages. The best we could offer GMS was a deal that requested we deferred his wages until the summer whereas Hearts are in a place (despite being in the Championship and having lost 9 million due to relegation) to sign him outright now. Aaron Hickey was sold for 1.7 million which involves monthly instalments from Bologna. We sold Mckenna for more then 3 million. Unless Cormack is anticipating an early end to the season I can't understand how we can be worse off then the entire SPL when it comes to funding new signings. Agree with Super_Al. He needs to come out and provide clarity to the support.

Let's not make McInnes out to be hard done by here. 

He was backed heavily last January to repair the mistakes he made with the previous summer signings. 

He was backed heavily again this season. 

He's been able to sign 70 odd players on permanent or loan in his time here. That's around 10 per season.  And that's not counting 7 years of our own youth players. 

He shouldn't be in a position where no funds during one window (especially a January one) is such a critical issue. 

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, DD1903 said:

we here from the media about how he manages to rebuild every season - to me it's the managers fault that we have to rebuild every season - he's the one that sets contract lengths/buys players that are quite simply not good enough. Maybe, just maybe, the board have decided enough is enough, and told him to buck ip his ideas. 

Absolutely. 

Let's not hear any more of the poor McInnes rhetoric.  It's like a cult now, folk diving in to defend him with ever more pathetic excuses, mainly built on their own innate fear of life being like it was under McGhee after he goes rather than anything else. 

17 minutes ago, DD1903 said:

I'd rather we were sensible with signings this month. McInnes signed plenty of players (mostly pish) in the summer. The squad is massive  at the moment. Greg Leigh for example...why sign him? A left back when we're not playing full backs!? That and the fact he's garbage. 

What McInnes was said that he hoped to get 2 in, but 2 would have to leave - no one on a permanent contract has left yet, have they? Which is no surprise, as pretty much every player has been bang average this season. 

we hear from the media about how he manages to rebuild every season - to me it's the managers fault that we have to rebuild every season - he's the one that sets contract lengths/buys players that are quite simply not good enough. Maybe, just maybe, the board have decided enough is enough, and told him to buck ip his ideas. 

The Greg Leigh thing really pisses me off. 

We're tight for funds.  Yet we extend his deal so he can sit on the bench til summer.  What a waste. 

I bet nobody watched the game yesterday and thought that team is really missing Greg Leigh. 

A proportion of the Leigh, Edmondson and Watkins money could have been used to bring in an attacking player that we sorely need surely? Rather than keeping on a bench warmer. 

4 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

The Greg Leigh thing really pisses me off. 

We're tight for funds.  Yet we extend his deal so he can sit on the bench til summer.  What a waste. 

I bet nobody watched the game yesterday and thought that team is really missing Greg Leigh. 

A proportion of the Leigh, Edmondson and Watkins money could have been used to bring in an attacking player that we sorely need surely? Rather than keeping on a bench warmer. 

And as ive said on another thread he's not played a single minute in the back three only as left wing back and centre mid. We could have survived without him in both of those positions

3 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

Let's not make McInnes out to be hard done by here. 

He was backed heavily last January to repair the mistakes he made with the previous summer signings. 

He was backed heavily again this season. 

He's been able to sign 70 odd players on permanent or loan in his time here. That's around 10 per season.  And that's not counting 7 years of our own youth players. 

He shouldn't be in a position where no funds during one window (especially a January one) is such a critical issue. 

Its completely nonsensical to even suggest that we should consider bypassing this current window based on his summer dealings. Every transfer window is an opportunity for the manager/board to address current issues with the squad whether that be injuries, departing players or loanees returning to parent clubs. Every club in the world attempts to tweak their side in January where needed. Watkins, Edmundson, Cerny and supposedly Hernandez have all left the club. I would agree that Greg Leigh is adequate at best and was most likely kept on more so due to his versatility then his actually playing ability.

IMO this window in particular holds a little more significance then past windows. As mentioned by others on this forum, if Aberdeen were to  finish in the top three or win the Scottish Cup we would have one knockout round to compete in for a potential spot in the Europa Group stages. A tournament that we have struggled to get past the 3rd qualifying round each year under McInnes tenure. The financial implications of qualifying for the group stages or the aforementioned UEFA Europa conference cup especially during this pandemic crisis would hugely significant for the club.

5 minutes ago, CalgaryDon said:

Its completely nonsensical to even suggest that we should consider bypassing this current window based on his summer dealings. Every transfer window is an opportunity for the manager/board to address current issues with the squad whether that be injuries, departing players or loanees returning to parent clubs. Every club in the world attempts to tweak their side in January where needed. Watkins, Edmundson, Cerny and supposedly Hernandez have all left the club. I would agree that Greg Leigh is adequate at best and was most likely kept on more so due to his versatility then his actually playing ability.

You're not getting my point. 

There is no money apparently. 

I'm saying it shouldn't be that big an issue considering the recent investment made. 

You seem to be suggesting McInnes isn't being backed and the board need to step up and back him. 

They already have.  There's no money left to spend. He's already spent his budget and more this season.  We're owe money to Hayes and the Huns in the summer on top. 

And the little money he did get he used to extend Leigh. 

5 hours ago, Sonoftherock said:

We've been in decline for at least the past couple of years.  Myself and many others have repeatedly pointed this out. The rot had set in well before Cormack took over... however, Cormack is very much the man now and he's going to be judged on his actions. Will be interesting to where he goes with all this... One things that will certainly irk him - the gradient of decline has been most rapid since the opening of Cormack Park!  We were a better team when the team was dodging dog shit!

Fully agree min.

Cormack Park was built with the intent of having a better chance of recruitming players than before that would ultimately improve our squad. If that was the primary intent, it has been a complete and utter failure. 

Dave Cormack's current bout of silence is deafening and is not helpful in the slightest. When he first came back to Aberdeen, he was proactively keeping supporters informed on developments at our club, along with vocally backing our club at the outset of the Coronavirus episode. All that good work is rapidly becoming unravelled with his continued silence, and due to the general weak mentality of our players, it is having a huge adverse effect. Performances and results emphasise this. 

Questions that need to be answered include;

1. Why was a lower league club able to offer a better deal to a former player? Unforgivable.

2. Why did we not do everything we could to attract Eamonn Brophy, an upgrade on our current "strikers", to Aberdeen? Again unforgivable.

3. Why pointlessly extend the contract of Greg Leigh, a bang average bench warmer?

4. What is happening with Ronald Hernandez, once and for all? 

5. What is his current take on our club, players, and, in particular, management? 

6. What players are not to have their current contract renewed?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1
3 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

You're not getting my point. 

There is no money apparently. 

I'm saying it shouldn't be that big an issue considering the recent investment made. 

You seem to be suggesting McInnes isn't being backed and the board need to step up and back him. 

They already have.  There's no money left to spend. He's already spent his budget and more this season.  We're owe money to Hayes and the Huns in the summer on top. 

I understand the point you are making however you completely ignored my initial posts above which were actually arguing how the Edinburgh sides would appear to be in a better place financially despite having both spent quite large amounts on their respective sides this season. More so then ourselves. This is despite one half being relegated and the other threatening to close down its youth system and then subsequently spending 600k on two players. Hibs haven't even sold a player this season to help cover their loses from September onwards and despite the sale of Hickey (1.7 million), Hearts have made massive losses due to their relegation and yet have since then added Gordon, Kingsley and GMS to their wage budget. All of whom will be on very decent wages. And remember Cormack claimed that the sale of Mckenna would cover the forecasted losses between September till current date. 

I have no qualms with Aberdeen not spending during this window given the current financial crisis however I am slightly bemused that given everything I just presented and that has transpired this past year - how on earth are Hearts and Hibs in a position to sign the likes of GMS, Irvine and Cadden? 

4 minutes ago, Matt Armstrong's Dog said:

Fully agree min.

Cormack Park was built with the intent of having a better chance of recruitming players than before that would ultimately improve our squad. If that was the primary intent, it has been a complete and utter failure. 

Dave Cormack's current bout of silence is deafening and is not helpful in the slightest. When he first came back to Aberdeen, he was proactively keeping supporters informed on developments at our club, along with vocally backing our club at the outset of the Coronavirus episode. All that good work is rapidly becoming unravelled with his continued silence, and due to the general weak mentality of our players, it is having a huge adverse effect. Performances and results emphasise this. 

1. Why was a lower league club able to offer a better deal to a former player? Unforgivable.

2. Why did we not do everything we could to attract Eamonn Brophy, an upgrade on our current "strikers", to Aberdeen? Again unforgivable.

3. Why pointlessly extend the contract of Greg Leigh, a bang average bench warmer?

5. What is his current take on our club, players, and, in particular, management? 

Good post.

1 minute ago, CalgaryDon said:

I understand the point you are making however you completely ignored my initial posts above which were actually arguing how the Edinburgh sides would appear to be in a better place financially despite having both spent quite large amounts on their respective sides this season. More so then ourselves. This is despite one half being relegated and the other threatening to close down its youth system and then subsequently spending 600k on two players. Hibs haven't even sold a player this season to help cover their loses from September onwards and despite the sale of Hickey (1.7 million), Hearts have made massive losses due to their relegation and yet have since then added Gordon, Kingsley and GMS to their wage budget. All of whom will be on very decent wages. And remember Cormack claimed that the sale of Mckenna would cover the forecasted losses between September till current date. 

I have no qualms with Aberdeen not spending during this window given the current financial crisis however I am slightly bemused that given everything I just presented and that has transpired this past year - how on earth are Hearts and Hibs in a position to sign the likes of GMS, Irvine and Cadden? 

Simple! Sevco Economics 

3 minutes ago, CalgaryDon said:

I don't know how the Edinburgh teams are funding their signings so how could I answer that question?   Do you? 

Anyway it doesn't matter.  Its the financial situation of our club that matters here. 

• Upvote 1
34 minutes ago, CalgaryDon said:

IMO this window in particular holds a little more significance then past windows. As mentioned by others on this forum, if Aberdeen were to  finish in the top three or win the Scottish Cup we would have one knockout round to compete in for a potential spot in the Europa Group stages. A tournament that we have struggled to get past the 3rd qualifying round each year under McInnes tenure. The financial implications of qualifying for the group stages or the aforementioned UEFA Europa conference cup especially during this pandemic crisis would hugely significant for the club.

Based on the shite that he has bought into the club, I think it would be nonsensical to even consider giving McInnes any money to bring in players, he'll only bring in shite or players not suitable for the defensive system that he plays.

1 minute ago, shut up meg said:

Based on the shite that he has bought into the club, I think it would be nonsensical to even consider giving McInnes any money to bring in players, he'll only bring in shite or players not suitable for the defensive system that he plays.

The little money he has had this window he's used to extend Greg Leigh. 

So in other words he's squandered it. 

8 minutes ago, Matt Armstrong's Dog said:

Fully agree min.

Behave. Brophy is pish 

2 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

I don't know how the Edinburgh teams are finding their signings so how could I answer that question?   Do you? 

Anyway it doesn't matter.  Its the financial situation of our club that matters here. 

I think that they will be using the 2p in the £ method.

They do have history for this type of thing.

3 minutes ago, Durrant Dived said:

And if we let him go everyone would be greeting we don't have a natural left back. 

We've got 2 natural right backs and neither of them feature much either. 

Plus. One of the reasons given by McInnes for Ronnie leaving was that he didn't fit the wing back system.  Yet he's extended Leigh who doesn't fit the wing back system. 

1 minute ago, Ten Caat said:

Is the correct answer.

If Gash is out for a few weeks then it might be forced on us anyway. Thankfully Leigh should be fit in the next fortnight. 

I think we saw yesterday that Logan cannot be used as the 3rd centre back in a back 3

If Leigh, Taylor,  Devlin and Hayes are injured what's the back four?  

McCrorie at centre back alongside Hoban?