Aberdeen 2 - 1 Ross County

Our best chance of success in this game is for Peter Leven to stay in charge as he knows the players well and will have worked with them for three weeks by then. The County game is far too important for big changes to be made in selection, formation, and instructions, so the new manager whoever it is should sit in the stand and watch how they play before taking over on the Monday. 

• Upvote 8
22 minutes ago, Sooper-hanz said:

I think St Johnstone are finishing in the play off spot. We’ll get enough points at home, Ross County have found a bit of form but St J are just dogshit. 

The same St Johnstone who beat us 2-0 at home and who we have been unable to beat this season? One swallow doesn't make a summer and all that. Let's stay grounded.

• Upvote 1
3 minutes ago, Johnnyred1 said:

The same St Johnstone who beat us 2-0 at home and who we have been unable to beat this season? One swallow doesn't make a summer and all that. Let's stay grounded.

One swallow... you should marry her.

We have County's number this season I'm confident we will win this one. 

We really should take a minimum of 7 points from our 3 remaining pre split games on paper County, St Johnstone and Motherwell all have tougher games to come than we do.

I'm trying to be positive as we have managed to win 2 our last 3 games and we have definitely defended more resolutely in those games. 

1 minute ago, Redread said:

In reality we should have a new manager in place for this match and they should have had at least a week to have a good look at our players and spend time with them to get his message over regarding style of play, formations etc.

If Leven is taking the team for the next match then that is a worry. It either means we can’t source a manager, been knocked back or just a complete shambles by the club hierarchy.

Too much emphasis on managers.

The rest of our season will come down to players putting in the required effort consistently, making and taking our chances and riding our luck at the back. 

Managers aren't magicians.  We could have 100 different managers and they'll have the same issues to face with this squad.  There's no silver management bullet or ingenious tactical formula with this group of players. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 6
1 minute ago, Redread said:

In reality we should have a new manager in place for this match and they should have had at least a week to have a good look at our players and spend time with them to get his message over regarding style of play, formations etc.

If Leven is taking the team for the next match then that is a worry. It either means we can’t source a manager, been knocked back or just a complete shambles by the club hierarchy.

I'm in no massive rush to get Jimmy in. I don't think it's a deal that will happen overnight. As long as he's here in time for the transfer window that'll do fine. If we play the way we did yesterday we'll beat Ross County comfortably. I just can't buy into all the drama about relegation or playoffs. As tempting as it is to use it to help build up a sense of drama and excitement we'll finish well above the danger zone. Boring perhaps but that's what will happen. 

4 minutes ago, Redread said:

I disagree. We need a proper manager in and a good one at that. Managers don’t make a difference when they are not particularly good at their job.

A good manager gets the best out of the players and can judge how good a player is going to be for the club. 

It’s been a very long while since we have employed one. This so called top 100 club will need to up their game dramatically and start employing top 100 staff. You can’t continue employing novice people within the club by taking chances with them in the hope they somehow produce magic and perform remarkably well. The reality is you will get out of them what they originally were. Do you move forward as a club having novice employees in roles that they aren’t made for? I suggest and the evidence shows it doesn’t work.

For starters if we are wanting to be a top 100 club…employ a top 100 manager and it will give us a good starting point. 

Yes of course we need a new manager but for this season his input will be limited as the die has already been cast with this squad of players and their limitations are known to every team in the league.  A manager can't change that unless he brings in new players. 

Barron has already said that the players were caught between two stools. A new manager might actually be detrimental in the short term if he tries to change too much too quickly with a poorly equipped group. 

That's why it will come down to consistent effort, our better players making and taking chances and good luck more than anything else for the rest of this season. 

My sons high school team here in New Orleans just won back to back state championships (3rd in 4 years) and were undefeated all season with my lad Captaining the last two seasons.

Part of their senior year team program/celebrations is a trip to the UK to go to Old Trafford, see an EPL game and play a premier league development team. The schedules got a bit messed up with TV so my wife, son and two of his teammates are heading up for the County game at Pittodrie. My sons been to Pittodrie a few times (took him to the Copenhagen game when he was very little to kick things off). 

So please please please Aberdeen make it an occasion to remember. I’ll be stuck here in New Orleans. I’ve seen plenty turgid stress fests at the old ground though of course….

Cant wait to hear what the other lads make of Scottish fitba 😂

• Like 2
  • Upvote 5
19 hours ago, Schapenneuker said:

I think a win in this game should be enough to see us safe. We play Livi and Dundee before the break, Ross County have Killie and the Huns. 

With any luck we go into the split at least 9 points above them. I think we could afford to relax a bit at that point. 

That's the kind of talk that the Mocker Gods take revenge on.

If we’re up for this one we’ll win. Problem is that we’ve dropped far too many points this season in ‘winnable’ home games. 

If County are more up for it than us (and Hearts was a massive win for them, no question) then it could be another long day. 

On 3/16/2024 at 11:06 PM, Sooper-hanz said:

I think St Johnstone are finishing in the play off spot. We’ll get enough points at home, Ross County have found a bit of form but St J are just dogshit. 

That was the turning point of our league season when all aspirations of qualifying for Europe took a severe dent after drawing 0-0 with St. Johnstone at home in October.

Felt like a loss, especially after Andrew Considine's effort was chopped off on the stroke of half-time for a truly baffling VAR decision against Luis Lopes.

Will depend which Aberdeen team turn up. Performance like Motherwell and i think we are fine. Performance like Dundee then God help us. Worry between now and end of season is VAR. Depending on who is on Var Aberdeen might have got a nil nil vs Dundee and lost 2 -1 to Motherwell. But if we had played all season like Motherwell game we would be nearer top 6 than bottom 2. Watched game back and there was a lot to be happier about.

On 2/25/2024 at 5:01 PM, WesthillWanderersFC said:

A bit like when McInnes took over.

He probably had an idea what was needed anyway, but had the 5 games post split to have a good look for the following season. 

The players know Warnock won’t be here so don’t need to impress him. 
If a new man was in place it might be different.

McInnes states that spell when he was watching but Craig Brown took the team he identified we were lacking in midfield. Brought in Barry Robson (whatever happened to him ) and because he was approaching veteran status brought Willo Flood as " legs". He says it gave him a head start for new season.

5 hours ago, davierobb said:

McInnes states that spell when he was watching but Craig Brown took the team he identified we were lacking in midfield. Brought in Barry Robson (whatever happened to him ) and because he was approaching veteran status brought Willo Flood as " legs". He says it gave him a head start for new season.

I don't think I can ever remember such a hopeless, useless transfer window as last summers.*** Especially since we were heading into European group stages. 

It was truly stunning, the shite we recruited for defensive positions, while simulteanously ignoring the fact that we had no wide players or replacement for Ramadani. 

We MUST do 100% better this coming summer. 

***Edit to say that maybe McGhee's first foray into the transfer market was worse. In fact, it was fucking hilarious. 

1 minute ago, Schapenneuker said:

I don't think I can ever remember such a hopeless, useless transfer window as last summers.*** Especially since we were heading into European group stages. 

It was truly stunning, the shite we recruited for defensive positions, while simulteanously ignoring the fact that we had no wide players or replacement for Ramadani. 

***Edit to say that maybe McGhee's first foray into the transfer market was worse. In fact, it was fucking hilarious. 

Patersons entire reign 

14 minutes ago, Schapenneuker said:

We waited too long for pollock and didn’t want to spend a lot for scales. Replaced them with dross. Losing our more dynamic defensive midfielder and not replacing him. Playing the waiting game for Teklic didn’t work either. 
We didn’t get many of our top targets then shat the bed knowing we needed numbers. 

Next season we need to put up the money or move on our targets.