Aberdeen 2 - 1 Ross County

On 3/16/2024 at 11:40 PM, Sooper-hanz said:

Good point and I had regarded this but  for the remainder of the season I just can’t see it. Their fan base is inferior to Partick Thistle, Morton, Ayr Utd ,Queens Park and many others.

Perth is not a football town. 

Yet won a couple double recently, the first non-old firm team to do so in what, nearly 40 years?

On 3/17/2024 at 9:13 AM, Redread said:

In reality we should have a new manager in place for this match and they should have had at least a week to have a good look at our players and spend time with them to get his message over regarding style of play, formations etc.

If Leven is taking the team for the next match then that is a worry. It either means we can’t source a manager, been knocked back or just a complete shambles by the club hierarchy.

Is it a race to appoint someone? 

27 minutes ago, Big Hat Logan said:

Yet won a couple double recently, the first non-old firm team to do so in what, nearly 40 years?

Is it a race to appoint someone? 

Since 1989-90 when we did it, so just over 30 years. It's shocking when you consider how many teams have won the SC since our last one in 1990.

1 hour ago, Schapenneuker said:

I don't think I can ever remember such a hopeless, useless transfer window as last summers.*** Especially since we were heading into European group stages. 

It was truly stunning, the shite we recruited for defensive positions, while simulteanously ignoring the fact that we had no wide players or replacement for Ramadani. 

We MUST do 100% better this coming summer. 

***Edit to say that maybe McGhee's first foray into the transfer market was worse. In fact, it was fucking hilarious. 

Did nothing to build a team for the coming season, then panic bought Jerel Ifil. 

"That's no ma fault." McGhee would say. 

2 hours ago, Schapenneuker said:

***Edit to say that maybe McGhee's first foray into the transfer market was worse. In fact, it was fucking hilarious. 

At the risk of defending McGhee’s record (and even Jimmy C), he inherited a team and squad that had been gutted from the peak of Jimmy C’s era.

A total rebuild was required and yet Milne expected McGhee to come in and work miracles on a shoestring. It wasn’t quite as bad as the parsimony of Paterson’s unfortunate reign but it was up there. Signed Jerel fucking Ifil after a half decent trial. 

We had some decent players from 05-08 and apart from Anderson they all left for nothing. Just a reminder of the “buy cheap pay dear” philosophy of the previous chairman given some of the rose tinted stuff I’ve read on here lately. 

2 hours ago, RUL said:

Patersons entire reign 

In Paterson’s defence, that’s what he was permitted to sign. We were shit but had no greater aspirations than that at the time. We didn’t struggle against the dross - we were the dross. 

6 hours ago, BrisDon said:

In Paterson’s defence, that’s what he was permitted to sign. We were shit but had no greater aspirations than that at the time. We didn’t struggle against the dross - we were the dross. 

Paterson was told to cut the playing budget by Milne.

Milne a useless fucker as a Chairman. Let’s a manager spend until he panics and then tells the next manager to cut budget. Repeat.
 Any wonder we got nowhere with him making the decisions. And why is he still on the board? 

• Like 1
33 minutes ago, Arthur FN Shelby said:

Paterson was told to cut the playing budget by Milne.

Milne a useless fucker as a Chairman. Let’s a manager spend until he panics and then tells the next manager to cut budget. Repeat.
 Any wonder we got nowhere with him making the decisions. And why is he still on the board? 

Seem to recall league crowds in the 7000s under Paterson. Then we recorded a record turnover the season we reached the knockout phase of the UEFA Cup…
Having dealt with senior people at large companies, not all of them are great strategic thinkers. Some of them do well by knowing and doing what they do best and Milne probably falls into that category. He ran AFC like a building company, an industry with tight margins unlike football. 

On 3/17/2024 at 6:22 PM, TerryMcDermott said:

My sons high school team here in New Orleans just won back to back state championships (3rd in 4 years) and were undefeated all season with my lad Captaining the last two seasons.

Part of their senior year team program/celebrations is a trip to the UK to go to Old Trafford, see an EPL game and play a premier league development team. The schedules got a bit messed up with TV so my wife, son and two of his teammates are heading up for the County game at Pittodrie. My sons been to Pittodrie a few times (took him to the Copenhagen game when he was very little to kick things off). 

So please please please Aberdeen make it an occasion to remember. I’ll be stuck here in New Orleans. I’ve seen plenty turgid stress fests at the old ground though of course….

Cant wait to hear what the other lads make of Scottish fitba 😂

Random fact but I have 2 Louisiana state titles under my belt. 2000 and 2001.  Lafayette teams ruled the roost back then.

On 3/16/2024 at 11:40 PM, Sooper-hanz said:

Good point and I had regarded this but  for the remainder of the season I just can’t see it. Their fan base is inferior to Partick Thistle, Morton, Ayr Utd ,Queens Park and many others.

Perth is not a football town. 

Well, thank fuck for that , eh ?

Remind me how it works, please ….. do the teams with the bigger fanbase get bonus points ?…or do the likes of St Johnstone get points deducted ?

I always think the cliche about places not being football towns is a load of pish , other than areas where other sports are traditionally more popular (eg rugby in the borders and shinty in the middle of nowhere)

Perth has the same problem as most other parts of Scotland …..namely that far too many of the cunts that are interested in football have no local civic pride so ignore their local team and hunt glory instead.

19 hours ago, RUL said:

Patersons entire reign 

If we got the same value for money it would be impressive. 

Steve tosh was about 25k. Sheerin about 18k. Michael hart cost about a fiver. 

using some kind of performance x £ ratio for conparison then I reckon that means Gueye should be scoring about 70 goals a season and clarkson should be in the England squad 

3 minutes ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

If we got the same value for money it would be impressive. 

Steve tosh was about 25k. Sheerin about 18k. Michael hart cost about a fiver. 

using some kind of performance x £ ratio for conparison then I reckon that means Gueye should be scoring about 70 goals a season and clarkson should be in the England squad 

Was it Paterson that signed Heikennen ?

5 minutes ago, redone said:

Was it Paterson that signed Heikennen ?

Yes! 

I remember when he wanted to leave Calderwood was going to let him go for nothing and replace him with David Rowson. Then he wouldn’t let him go cause he saw how good he was. 

class player. Imagine him and Severin in the midfield now. Fuck me - that midfield duo together will be 20 years ago next season 🤮

Just read this on Ross County Facebook page “our allocation for the Aberdeen game is now sold out. We have requested more tickets (it didn’t say how many more) and Aberdeen have agreed to this request and the tickets will be on sale shortly “.

1 minute ago, starryfish said:

See we’ve only given them sections P and Q of the South Stand, section R available for Dons fans to purchase 

Only? That's a lot. 

10 hours ago, redone said:

Well, thank fuck for that , eh ?

Remind me how it works, please ….. do the teams with the bigger fanbase get bonus points ?…or do the likes of St Johnstone get points deducted ?

I always think the cliche about places not being football towns is a load of pish , other than areas where other sports are traditionally more popular (eg rugby in the borders and shinty in the middle of nowhere)

Perth has the same problem as most other parts of Scotland …..namely that far too many of the cunts that are interested in football have no local civic pride so ignore their local team and hunt glory instead.

Used to get a decent ruckus down at Perth. Good fanbase with a working class hardcore. Lost it all when they moved into their Lego playground. 

2 hours ago, starryfish said:

See we’ve only given them sections P and Q of the South Stand, section R available for Dons fans to purchase 

First allocation all sold was 708 from looking at their ticket site ( one section and they'll now get second section to try and sell)

5 hours ago, Dandyesque said:

Not looking forward to Murray against Gartenmann at all. Hopefully he has one of those games where he can't hit a barn door, having had a good game last weekend.

Haha

The day I fear Simon bloody murray is the day I pack in supporting football

• Upvote 2