13 minutes ago, strachanmcgheegoal said:

People that say we have unrealistic expectations also tend to spout shite about Arse cheek sides being in "must win" games every week, people being careful what they wish for and my current favourite thats crept in, some pish about their strips being a heavy jersey to carry or some such.

Fuck right off.  

There is no reason we cant come comfortably 3rd-4th, be a presence in all cups - a draw to avoid if you like - and recognise Europe for the cash pot it is (relative to the uphill struggle 1st-2nd in this country is) and prepare ourselves with a strategy accordingly. 

That we dont is just how S2RDS puts it. Seeping complacency, then ineptitude and finally indifference.

We did all that with mcinnes bruv

2 hours ago, S2RDS said:

No he was 100% wrong. My expectation is always, every season, for us to challenge for the title and win a cup. That's not to say we can win them, but every single season and every single thing we do should be aimed at trying to achieve that. The worry for me at the club is do the managers, board and players share the same ambition.... well going by Jimmys comment they probably don't. You cant be the best if you dont aim to be the best.

Such comments to me, stink of mediocrity. We get third, no cups and everyone should be happy? what because our expectations are too high based on a managers own personal ambition and what he deems as success? Nah sorry. The fans will always and rightfully be the judges of that. 

The fact no one has won a title in almost 40 years outside of Rangers, Celtic and Sevco is a shambles. We could have and probably should have won one in 2016 and I dont think that was an unrealistic expectation at the time. 

I fully agree min, Jimmy "All credit to them" Calderwood was completely wrong about us having unrealistic and unachievable expectations.

That was a profound slight on our club and supporters. End of.

Questioning our ambitions and expectations, was completely uncalled-for.

We, as proud supporters of our club,  have a right to expect certain standards to be met and, collectively and consistently, the players representing us and our club to perform to an acceptable level each and every game they are selected.

It's hardly being unrealistic but having the audacity to challenge our support and treat us with such disparity, fuck him. 

• Upvote 1
33 minutes ago, Millertime said:

Building on it doesn't mean appointing a worse manager

It means leaving the management alone and improving all the other things which to be fair to cormack, he has

Correct, but the fans having ambitious expectations is not unrealistic.

4 minutes ago, strachanmcgheegoal said:

Tell you what he didnt say 16ish years ago,

Right Lads here's how we're going to change it second half, its only fucking QoS ffs.  

Aye he had some cup record did Jimmy.

3 hours ago, Dynamo said:

Aye he had some cup record did Jimmy.

Off the top of my head, it was, as follows;

04/05 LC knocked out by the dead club. SC knocked out by Dundee United.

05/06 LC knocked out by Motherwell in QF. SC beaten by Hearts in our first match in the tournament.

06/07 LC Queen's Park. Enough said. SC knocked out by Hibs in a replay. Again, our first tie in that season's tournament.

07/08 LC beaten by the Arabs in the semifinal at Tynecastie. SC beaten by QoS in SF.

08/09 LC beaten by Kilmarnock in a farcical first 30 minutes at Rugby Park. SC knocked out by Dunfermline on penalties in QF replay.

How JC is still held is such regard (unless some of our support are at it) is Inexcusable and sickening.

• Upvote 4
51 minutes ago, Matt Armstrong's Dog said:

Off the top of my head, it was, as follows;

04/05 LC knocked out by the dead club. SC knocked out by Dundee United.

05/06 LC knocked out by Motherwell in QF. SC beaten by Hearts in our first match in the tournament.

06/07 LC Queen's Park. Enough said. SC knocked out by Hibs in a replay. Again, our first tie in that season's tournament.

07/08 LC beaten by the Arabs in the semifinal at Tynecastie. SC beaten by QoS in SF.

08/09 LC beaten by Kilmarnock in a farcical first 30 minutes at Rugby Park. SC knocked out by Dunfermline on penalties in QF replay.

How JC is still held is such regard (unless some of our support are at it) is Inexcusable and sickening.

He did have some good European results. Dnipro, Copenhagen and Bayern.

None of those good enough to make up for the QoS shambles though.

Like McInnes we should have achieved more in the domestic cups during his time here

33 minutes ago, Andy_123 said:

He did have some good European results. Dnipro, Copenhagen and Bayern.

None of those good enough to make up for the QoS shambles though.

Like McInnes we should have achieved more in the domestic cups during his time here

Only 1 win out of 8 games in the Europa League, regardless of the standard of opposition is poor.

That's on a par with Barry Robson this season but he never kept on about on it as though it was some form of success like Calderwood did. 

Calderwood should have been booted out after the Queen's Park debacle at Firhill.

JC was incapable of getting any of our teams prepared for winning a trophy, hence his irresponsible, pitiful deflective tactics and comments regarding our expectations.

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, Matt Armstrong's Dog said:

Only 1 win out of 8 games in the Europa League, regardless of the standard of opposition is poor.

That's on a par with Barry Robson this season but he never kept on about on it as though it was some form of success like Calderwood did. 

Calderwood should have been booted out after the Queen's Park debacle at Firhill.

JC was incapable of getting any of our teams prepared for winning a trophy, hence his irresponsible, pitiful deflective tactics and comments regarding our expectations.

We beat Dnipro and Copenhagen under Calderwood so 1 win in 8 is wrong.

I’d say Dnipro, Copenhagen and Bayern (we also played Atletico Madrid) were far better opposition than Hacken, Helsinki and Frankfurt reserves.

2 hours ago, Matt Armstrong's Dog said:

What?

Beating Dnipro was good enough, but absolutely annihilated Copenhagen 4-0 and drew 2-2 with bayern

You clearly need to brush up on your history 

4 hours ago, Matt Armstrong's Dog said:

“Regardless of opposition” 

😂

I think it’s more than relevant you dumpling. 

personal thoughts - I was a fan of JC. And in the last 30 years he’s easily in our top 2 managers. 

do Aberdeen fans expect to much? Some - definitely. Overall, I don’t think so. I think Aberdeen, hearts and Hibs massively underachieve. You’d think one of us at some point would have a season where we beat the shite teams regularly and hold our own in Glasgow. Just in 1 season out of like 10. But no, it absolutely never happens. 

no matter the team, manager, owner - you just get to a stage where you’ve seen it all and it’s absolutely shite every time. Have I reached that age already? Perhaps!

🍺

12 hours ago, The Hulk said:

I liked Jimmy Calderwood but he was wrong about this. He made a mis-step there due to his misunderstanding of the north-east psyche.

So let's look at this another way. He went to the same school as Willie Miller but then Willie Miller has lived in Aberdeen for 50+ years.  Does Willie Miller think Aberdeen fans have unrealistic expectations?

Calderwood stilll happy to take a sizeable salary out the the club thought 

Not are fault  he had limited managerial ability 

putting aside what we think of calderwood, do we really think getting out of the group stage of a european trophy isnt the finest achievement of the club since the 1980's?

winning a cup is nice, and we should do it more often, but destroying copenhagen and drawing bayern at home were 2 of my greatest memories of the last 35 years

• Thanks 1

No, Balsawood was not right. This was just an excuse for his inability to kick on, after an initial turnaround. He was well suited to the job for the first few years and brought in some good players, but when it became time to push on and reach cup finals, he was clearly out of his depth. Yes, we had one exciting European run, but as Brian Irvine rightly said at the time, it was an adventure that "simply papered over the cracks of our true position".

The cup results were dreadful; in ten attempts, two semi-finals were his best results and both ended in four goal defeats. We also succumbed to lower league opposition in cups THREE TIMES in as many years, as well as a 4-1 hammering from Hibs and a 3-0 thumping from Hearts. Most of all, despite having by far and away the fourth biggest budget every season (and Heart of MadLithuanian were in disarray, changing managers yearly, overspending massively and run by a nutjob) he only managed one 3rd place finish - and the 4th place finishes of the last two seasons were a struggle, where we barely secured the Top 6! 

Nope, sorry, but he was a decent but overrated manager and it was the right decision to part with him, despite McGhee's subsequent failure. Scottish football is where it is because too many (especially fawning weegies like him) accept the status quo and never rock the boat or upset the arse cheeks' apple cart. 

• Downvote 1
19 hours ago, Bebo said:

No, he wasn't right. 

It's not an unrealistic expectation to believe Aberdeen with the 3rd largest wage and transfer budget should be around 3rd/4th and win the occasional cup. 

Calderwood and the Weegie media implied we were 'stuck in the 80's' as if we expected European cups

Exactly 

but I’m not going to sook up & give you a +1

what are they like 🙄🤣