1 hour ago, Matt Armstrong's Dog said:

It's amazing how many posters on here cannot see by their own opinion and if you dare to express a modicum of disagreement to their opinion, baseless accusations about you as a person and your mind are thrown in your direction. 

"Agenda-driven".😄

My opinion is based on facts and evidence, not prejudice.

Steve Clarke still not picking players if they have played with Aberdeen in the past m8?

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Millertime said:

He was our second best manager of the last 20 years

It's irrefutable 

Who gives a fuck? 

The question was not whether he was or wasn't. It was whether or not his rambling on then about Aberdeen fans having unrealistic expectations are relevant now, I think. 

I'd say the overwhelming majority would quite rightly laugh at that notion and trying to turn the thread into a 'did Calderwood do a good job or not' won't change that. 

• Upvote 1
4 minutes ago, ahead on alphabet said:

Who gives a fuck? 

The question was not whether he was or wasn't. It was whether or not his rambling on then about Aberdeen fans having unrealistic expectations are relevant now, I think. 

I'd say the overwhelming majority would quite rightly laugh at that notion and trying to turn the thread into a 'did Calderwood do a good job or not' won't change that. 

You're contradicting yourself 

How can you not see it?

In the last 20 plus years,  calderwood and mcinnes did really well

Compared to the 80s, no, they didn't, but as I keep trying to explain to you and most others, we aren't in the bloody 80s anymore

Move on, it's embarrassing 

1 minute ago, Millertime said:

How can you not see it?

Compared to the 80s, no, they didn't, but as I keep trying to explain to you and most others, we aren't in the bloody 80s anymore

McInnes and Calderwood easily our best two managers in that time period.

Doesnt make them perfect but its churlish that anyone bothers to argue they aren’t.

18 minutes ago, Millertime said:

How can you not see it?

All I'm hearing here is me me me me. Please stop.

19 minutes ago, Helmet said:

Doesnt make them perfect but its churlish that anyone bothers to argue they aren’t.

Exactly

It's the fact people do argue it that is exhibit a) re being stuck in the 80s

42 minutes ago, Helmet said:

Of course they were. Who has said they weren't?

Are you jumping on the 'millertime argue with yourself bus' too? 

I've skimmed back over the thread a bit and I can't see anyone that has said they weren't. I think he's sucked you in 😂

• Haha 1
22 minutes ago, Millertime said:

What have I said that isn't accurate?

You have got it eternally embedded in your psyche about your feelings about Jimmy Calderwood and, to back those up, have a adopted a self-fulfilling prophecy that what your think and feel about JC is infallibly correct.

Well for one, you said we beat the now-defunct Dnipro. We never, although we got through to the EL group stages that season on the away goals rule. 

I cannot be arsed continuing.

COYFR!!!🤞

53 minutes ago, Millertime said:

How can you not see it?

move back to 70s then, point is emphasised, damned with faint praise.

22 minutes ago, strachanmcgheegoal said:

So to be clear youre not comparing them to the 80's but you are comparing them to the current shambles on which you have concluded that they "did really well"

To quote Di Caprio,  I concur.

I know you know already, but I'll say it anyway 

How a team does over a 20-plus year period is a good barometer of how good they are, generally

Mcinnes then calderwood have been the best 2 of that period, yet they get the most grief and constantly get slagged off

Whys that?

Because somehow they are accused of not doing well enough 

They've done amazingly considering the Shite before and after them

The only yardstick for not doing well would be, what?

Ding ding ding

Yep, the 80s

Sasssssssssh

5 minutes ago, Matt Armstrong's Dog said:

You have got it eternally embedded in your psyche about your feelings about Jimmy Calderwood and, to back those up, have a adopted a self-fulfilling prophecy that what your think and feel about JC is infallibly correct.

Well for one, you said we beat the now-defunct Dnipro. We never, although we got through to the EL group stages that season on the away goals rule. 

I cannot be arsed continuing.

COYFR!!!🤞

Lol

Enjoy your day sir 

And to answer your question (See I do read your posts)

The yardstick on which Calderwood failed was Domestic Cups and nothing to do with the 80s.

The yardstick on which Darak failed was Europe and nothing to do with the 80s.

Jimmy C over achieved overall so I dont really have a beef with him.

Derek in my opinion under achieved on potential especially at the end and so rightly in my eyes gets criticised for that specific point.

Anyhoos, County n'that. 

2 minutes ago, strachanmcgheegoal said:

And to answer your question (See I do read your posts)

The yardstick on which Calderwood failed was Domestic Cups and nothing to do with the 80s.

The yardstick on which Darak failed was Europe and nothing to do with the 80s.

Jimmy C over achieved overall so I dont really have a beef with him.

Derek in my opinion under achieved on potential especially at the end and so rightly in my eyes gets criticised for that specific point.

Anyhoos, County n'that. 

Yep we are never agreeing on this one

(It's you that's wrong)

Hope you enjoy your afternoon

2 hours ago, ahead on alphabet said:

Of course they were. Who has said they weren't?

Are you jumping on the 'millertime argue with yourself bus' too? 

I've skimmed back over the thread a bit and I can't see anyone that has said they weren't. I think he's sucked you in 😂

You actually read back through this thread?

Sounds more like you’re daft cunt MT has on a string.

25 minutes ago, fine-n-dandy said:

Calderwood was one of the cunts that started the spread of this nonsense that Aberdeen fans expect too much.

Agree. He simply put it out as his primary excuse (backed by the Weegia of course, who wanted us to get back in our box and accept the perpetual duopoly) for his atrocious cup record and when it became apparent after the first 3 years he could take us no further. 

That said, many of us remember all too well that Willie Miller didn't help things by appearing to empathise with Balsawood. He went from being the Board's biggest critic, to being its flak jacket, once he accepted the "Executive Football Consultant" position and resorted to damage limitation PR for the Wig Wam Bam.

14 hours ago, Jocky Balboa said:

No, Balsawood was not right. This was just an excuse for his inability to kick on, after an initial turnaround. He was well suited to the job for the first few years and brought in some good players, but when it became time to push on and reach cup finals, he was clearly out of his depth. Yes, we had one exciting European run, but as Brian Irvine rightly said at the time, it was an adventure that "simply papered over the cracks of our true position".

The cup results were dreadful; in ten attempts, two semi-finals were his best results and both ended in four goal defeats. We also succumbed to lower league opposition in cups THREE TIMES in as many years, as well as a 4-1 hammering from Hibs and a 3-0 thumping from Hearts. Most of all, despite having by far and away the fourth biggest budget every season (and Heart of MadLithuanian were in disarray, changing managers yearly, overspending massively and run by a nutjob) he only managed one 3rd place finish - and the 4th place finishes of the last two seasons were a struggle, where we barely secured the Top 6! 

Nope, sorry, but he was a decent but overrated manager and it was the right decision to part with him, despite McGhee's subsequent failure. Scottish football is where it is because too many (especially fawning weegies like him) accept the status quo and never rock the boat or upset the arse cheeks' apple cart. 

How do you “rock the boat” and “upset the arse cheeks apple cart”.

Genuine question given we would need hundreds of millions of investment complete with them so interested as to how we do this without it.

On 3/29/2024 at 11:36 AM, Millertime said:

We were top 4 for 7 or 8 years, finishing 2nd more than 4th

In countless semis and finals up against one of if not the best celtic team of the last few decades, managed by a guy on £3M a year

That was deemed not good enough and THATS why people say we have unrealistic expectations 

It's undebateable

Check the nick of us now

But that was better than what Jimmy achieved, so he was wrong - we could do better and did.

• Upvote 1