2 hours ago, Jocky Balboa said:

Nope, sorry, but he was a decent but overrated manager and it was the right decision to part with him, despite McGhee's subsequent failure. Scottish football is where it is because too many (especially fawning weegies like him) accept the status quo and never rock the boat or upset the arse cheeks' apple cart. 

Amen to that.  Is there another way?  I genuinely don’t know but I 100% believe it’s worth trying (absolute disasters at trying it not with standing).

Put it this way.  Every time I hear “needs to know Scottish Football” I don’t immediately think 2-2 against Bayern or vuvuzuela central against Copenhagen.  But I do recall Raith, Queens Park, QoS and on and on.

4 hours ago, Jocky Balboa said:

No, Balsawood was not right. This was just an excuse for his inability to kick on, after an initial turnaround. He was well suited to the job for the first few years and brought in some good players, but when it became time to push on and reach cup finals, he was clearly out of his depth. Yes, we had one exciting European run, but as Brian Irvine rightly said at the time, it was an adventure that "simply papered over the cracks of our true position".

The cup results were dreadful; in ten attempts, two semi-finals were his best results and both ended in four goal defeats. We also succumbed to lower league opposition in cups THREE TIMES in as many years, as well as a 4-1 hammering from Hibs and a 3-0 thumping from Hearts. Most of all, despite having by far and away the fourth biggest budget every season (and Heart of MadLithuanian were in disarray, changing managers yearly, overspending massively and run by a nutjob) he only managed one 3rd place finish - and the 4th place finishes of the last two seasons were a struggle, where we barely secured the Top 6! 

Nope, sorry, but he was a decent but overrated manager and it was the right decision to part with him, despite McGhee's subsequent failure. Scottish football is where it is because too many (especially fawning weegies like him) accept the status quo and never rock the boat or upset the arse cheeks' apple cart. 

Definition of pathetic 

1 hour ago, strachanmcgheegoal said:

Amen to that.  Is there another way?  I genuinely don’t know but I 100% believe it’s worth trying (absolute disasters at trying it not with standing).

Put it this way.  Every time I hear “needs to know Scottish Football” I don’t immediately think 2-2 against Bayern or vuvuzuela central against Copenhagen.  But I do recall Raith, Queens Park, QoS and on and on.

And that, THAT sums it up perfectly

Absolutely pathetic and poisonous

Its never been clearer - aberdeen football clubs biggest problem, is aberdonian aberdeen fans

• Haha 1
10 hours ago, Andy_123 said:

We beat Dnipro and Copenhagen under Calderwood so 1 win in 8 is wrong.

I’d say Dnipro, Copenhagen and Bayern (we also played Atletico Madrid) were far better opposition than Hacken, Helsinki and Frankfurt reserves.

We went through on the old away goals against the now defunct Dnipro after drawing 0-0 at Pittodrie, and drawing 1-1 over there.

I was at the Meteor Stadium in Dnepropetrovsk for our match that night, so I may have missed our winner when I went to the bog during the match.🤔😄

I find it is really undermining and poor form that folk like yourself say we beat Eintracht Frankfurt "reserves" at Pittodrie and prior to that game, ran them very close in Germany (Ester Sokler:banghead:).

We did very well to beat Frankfurt at Puttodrie, albeit too little, too late in terms of progressing from our group. The damage was already done with the two draws against HJK.

2 minutes ago, Matt Armstrong's Dog said:

We went through on the old away goals against the now defunct Dnipro after drawing 0-0 at Pittodrie, and drawing 1-1 over there.

I was at the Meteor Stadium in Dnepropetrovsk for our match that night, so I may have missed our winner when I went to the bog during the match.🤔😄

I find it is really undermining and poor form that folk like yourself say we beat Eintracht Frankfurt "reserves" at Pittodrie and prior to that game, ran them very close in Germany (Ester Sokler:banghead:).

We did very well to beat Frankfurt at Puttodrie, albeit too little, too late in terms of progressing from our group. The damage was already done with the two draws against HJK.

So, you're slagging the dnipro win but talking up the frankfurt one?

See what I mean about certain aberdeen fans?

You seem like a lovely man but you have some utterly wild observations 

1 minute ago, aberdeen1970 said:

The Bayern game under Jimmy is the only time I've seen Pittodrie bounce on a European night like it did in the glory days. 

Copenhagen was up there as well. 

Yeah I was at the Copenhagen one

It was mind blowing for me, never before or since been in an atmosphere like that

That 4 nil win has got to go down as one of our best ever results in any competition,  ever

2 minutes ago, Millertime said:

Yeah I was at the Copenhagen one

It was mind blowing for me, never before or since been in an atmosphere like that

That 4 nil win has got to go down as one of our best ever results in any competition,  ever

Jamie Smith's finest hour (and a half) 

9 hours ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

“Regardless of opposition” 

😂

I think it’s more than relevant you dumpling. 

personal thoughts - I was a fan of JC. And in the last 30 years he’s easily in our top 2 managers. 

do Aberdeen fans expect to much? Some - definitely. Overall, I don’t think so. I think Aberdeen, hearts and Hibs massively underachieve. You’d think one of us at some point would have a season where we beat the shite teams regularly and hold our own in Glasgow. Just in 1 season out of like 10. But no, it absolutely never happens. 

no matter the team, manager, owner - you just get to a stage where you’ve seen it all and it’s absolutely shite every time. Have I reached that age already? Perhaps!

🍺

Open to interpretation my friend. 

We progressed by the Ukrainian dead club known as Dnipro on the old away goals rule under Calderwood. 

Lokomotiv Moscow weren't very good and that was a major opportunity missed to register a win. Panathinaikos weren't great that season either but we folded tamely to a 3-0 defeat in Greece.

Atletico Madrid were going through a transistional stage when we played which eventually resulted in them eventually winning the Europa League in 09/10 and 11/12, and latterly in 17/18. Whilst we played ok over there, they were a level above us which was reflected in the scoreline.

The Copenhagen game was one of those games when everything went right for us, especially in the second half, without playing particularly well. What we did that night though was thoroughly exploit the extremely weak attitude of the Copenhagen players after Jamie Smith scored his first goal of the match just after half-time.

We did well to progress, albeit in bizarre fashion after winning only 1 out of 4 group games. Realistically, a team wouldn't normally progress in a competition with such a record.

We took advantage of Bayern's complacency at Pittodrie as Hitzfeld and his players thought they just simply needed to turn up and win.

Over there, I actually thought we played better against them than at home and the 5-1 scoreline flattered Bayern, who were beat by the eventual winners of the tournament Zenit 👍 in the next round IIRC. Bayern were ruthless that night and although Darren Mackie's goal should not have been chopped off (which would have made it 2-1 to Bayern at that juncture of the away tie), consequently our heads went down and they brutally capitalised on that.

16 minutes ago, Millertime said:

So, you're slagging the dnipro win but talking up the frankfurt one?

See what I mean about certain aberdeen fans?

You seem like a lovely man but you have some utterly wild observations 

We never beat Dnipro.

If I'm not mistaken Eintracht Frankfurt won the Europa League in season 21/22 with the majority of the squad that played AFC earlier this season.

Therefore, if no AFC supporter can talk up our home win against them, when can we talk up such an achievement?🤔

I have very realistic and level-headed observations and expectations of Aberdeen Football Club.

8 minutes ago, Matt Armstrong's Dog said:

We never beat Dnipro.

If I'm not mistaken Eintracht Frankfurt won the Europa League in season 21/22 with the majority of the squad that played AFC earlier this season.

Therefore, if no AFC supporter can talk up our home win against them, when can we talk up such an achievement?🤔

I have very realistic and level-headed observations and expectations of Aberdeen Football Club.

No

You're warped

Intentional or not, you're warped

Putting dnipro out was massive and way more important than frankfurt

7 minutes ago, Matt Armstrong's Dog said:

Trying to gaslight again, MT?

I would give Kevin Stirling a run for his money on the history of AFC.😉:checkit:

Factually, maybe

But it'd be rendered useless considering your clearly agenda-driven recount of it 

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, Millertime said:

Factually, maybe

But it'd be rendered useless considering your clearly agenda-driven recount of it 

It's amazing how many posters on here cannot see by their own opinion and if you dare to express a modicum of disagreement to their opinion, baseless accusations about you as a person and your mind are thrown in your direction. 

"Agenda-driven".😄

My opinion is based on facts and evidence, not prejudice.