Taxi for Calderwood?

A lot of people are assuming we'll finish the season in 3rd place. If we finish 4th, will that still be an achievement? Will you deem that a success?

If we do finish 3rd, we will need to win 2 games at the very least against the other top 6 teams, to do that will require good performances, so we'll see how that one pans out.

mmm tough question i suppose. At the start of the season i would have been delighted with 4th but now with the position we are in then i would say i would be disappointed big time. Would i be shouting for Calderwood head - no regardless of what happens between now and the end of the season you can't take it away that we have had a good season. But i'm more disappointed that we are not entering the inter-toto cup.

• Site Sponsor
It is great to get some healthy discussion and arguement but this thread turned into a farce. Take out all the sniping at each other and the thread would be less than half the size!!

It's because people really do care that the sniping happens. That's fitba. No other game like it.

Just in case it's been missed the thread is a question. I answered it for myself.

I was delighted when JC was appointed although the lads I sit with had a warning from a DUFC fan that we should forget the hype about attacking football as all that happens when things go wrong is that JC panics.

Sometimes it works, cup last season against Arabs, most times it doesn't.

He is in my opinion past his sell by date, to coin the phrase, has taken the club as far as he can. Again in my opinion he did that some time ago.

Nobody wants success for the Dons more than I do. That is why I question him. His tactics are crap. He sees versatility as a virtue, when in reality it is a curse, (Jack of all trades, master of none).

The Jimmy is God brigade will find that out, unfortunately.

"Ebbe, Ebbe give us a wave", right up until he left we still heard it, byt Ebbe was a disaster, yet many did not/still don't see it.

To conclude, let us look at the sequences leading up to our most successful period.

1975 Jimmy Bonthrone resigns (aye right!)

Ally McLeod is appointed. Saves us from relegation and wins 1976 League Cup (Willie Millers finest game). He takes the Scotland job. We are depresssed.

Billy McNeil takes over. One season and we are runners up in league and Scottish Cup. He goes to Celtic. We are depressed.

Alex Ferguson takes over. You know the rest.

The point is that without McLeod and McNeil leaving, it is highly, highly unlikely that the success we enjoyed under Fergie would have ocurred.

Sometimes you need a manager for a period of time and then his time is up.

That is my view on JC.

I was delighted when JC was appointed although the lads I sit with had a warning from a DUFC fan that we should forget the hype about attacking football as all that happens when things go wrong is that JC panics.

I'm sure you mean DAFC fan :dontknow:

or was it an interfering jute ?

Whatever happened to the Oh Jimmy Jimmy brigade ?

Guest El Padre
But just because the next appointment may not do a good job, doesn't mean we shouldnt part company with calderwood. (not that im saying we should, just playing devils advocate)

If you take the attitude that "it may not be better next time" we'll never improve in the long term. There will be guys out there who can take us further than the current regime, it's up to the board to find them.

I don't think that was MadBads point. I think he meant we can't afford to throw money at uncertainties, so we should let JC see out his time here. :dontknow:

I don't think that was MadBads point. I think he meant we can't afford to throw money at uncertainties, so we should let JC see out his time here. :dontknow:

Don't think club have much choice now after handing management new improved longer deals just a week after losing to Queens Park. Quite why nobody knows since they had rolling contracts anyway, which meant every day they woke up with 6 months of security!!

Tommy, I've NEVER left a game early, any season. Only been once this season (due to geography) but I enjoyed it.

My point wasn't "the next guy might be p*sh so better the deil you know" it was more "no matter WHO replaces JC (ultimately) we'll go through all this again sooner or later"

"Aberdeen under Fergie was the most entertaining football ever in Aberdeens era"

Canna do the quote thing, sorry.

The best fitba the Dons ever played in my lifetime was during season 1970-71, under Eddie Turnbull.

To claim that it was best under Fergie is debatable. There were a helluva lot of games where we had to contend with 9 men behind the ball because we were good, but I'd vote for the '71 squad every time apart from those feckin home draws with St Mirren and Motherwell that eventually cost us the title. :nutter:

Maybe somebody even older than RTYD and Tommy can speak up on behalf of Willie Mills and Matt Armstrong? :dontknow:

"Aberdeen under Fergie was the most entertaining football ever in Aberdeens era"

Canna do the quote thing, sorry.

The best fitba the Dons ever played in my lifetime was during season 1970-71, under Eddie Turnbull.

To claim that it was best under Fergie is debatable. There were a helluva lot of games where we had to contend with 9 men behind the ball because we were good, but I'd vote for the '71 squad every time apart from those feckin home draws with St Mirren and Motherwell that eventually cost us the title. :nutter:

Maybe somebody even older than RTYD and Tommy can speak up on behalf of Willie Mills and Matt Armstrong? :dontknow:

Was that the season of the "Pittodrie fire"?

Tommy, I've NEVER left a game early, any season. Only been once this season (due to geography) but I enjoyed it.

My point wasn't "the next guy might be p*sh so better the deil you know" it was more "no matter WHO replaces JC (ultimately) we'll go through all this again sooner or later"

I've been to all the home games and it's about 6 maximum

that i've actually felt that i'd enjoyed and that includes the defeat

by hearts.

I've got a ST so cost is acceptable but i can understand the

The interesting thing about calderwood is that he's definetley taken the club forward without the resources that previous managers have had. The squad has been thinned to almost breaking point hence why versatile players are so sought after (though i do take the jack of all trade comment). 5 years ago the club was regularily the laughing stock off the spl, now at least other teams know they are going to get a bloody hard game. Ok so we arn't playing the kind of gucci football that has the media wanking over hibs but to be honest im not really that bothered given where we have come from. Imo continuity is the key and showing jc the door would be nothing short of idiotic. If another club came in for him and paid us some compensation i wouldn't see this as a travesty however. It would be nice to have a manager that was a bit more tactically shrewd (look at what levein has done at utd) but at the same time calderwood does seem to have a good rapport with the players. He's managed to turn foster into a useful player something i thought nigh on impossible when i first saw him play. Regardless of where we finish i will definetley look back on this season as a good one though if we blow the chance of europe it will be hard not to be gutted. To finish i think JC has earned the right to make a few eccentric decisions but i think i can speak for all of us when i say no more darren mackie at left mid

Guest CAPSLOCK

FOR THOSE WHO CONTINUALLY COMPLAIN THAT HE PLAYS PLAYERS OUT OF POSITION, CAN YOU PLEASE TELL ME WHERE ON THE PARK DO THE FOLLOWING EXCEL THEMSELVES:

1. CHRIS CLARK

2. RICKY FOSTER

IN FACT, OTHER THAN THE ODD GAME ON THE WING FOR MACKIE I CAN'T THINK OF ANYONE ELSE WHO IS CONTINUALLY PLAYED SOMEWHERE THEY SHOULDN'T BE.

"PUNT THEM" IS NOT AN ANSWER I'LL ACCEPT AS WE DON'T HAVE THE FUNDS.

Was that the season of the "Pittodrie fire"?

Indeed it was, my Tele-toting chum.

I just found out recently from Eddie Turnbull's book, that the Dons could have asked for the game that afternoon to have been cancelled, but played on not wanting to upset routine. We lost to Dunfermline (or Dundee United if you suffer from the same DAFC/JUFC confusion as RTYD).

What if? etc :angry11:

Still go back to my earlier post

would be good to see peoples genuine hopes for the start of the season and see whta has been acheived. Surely if he meets your hopes then he is doing ok

(Definition of genuine- what you head said we would acheive not your heart Definition of start of season - before hearts and rangers imploded and mowbray left hibs)

mine was double figure wins at home and more wins than draws or losses away - not quite acheived but should do by the end of the season that so a positive season for me

Still have a right to feel angry about games thrown away through poor tactics (or trying to be clever!)

feel we have lost more points through tactical errors than player errors -

FOR THOSE WHO CONTINUALLY COMPLAIN THAT HE PLAYS PLAYERS OUT OF POSITION, CAN YOU PLEASE TELL ME WHERE ON THE PARK DO THE FOLLOWING EXCEL THEMSELVES:

1. CHRIS CLARK : Nowhere

2. RICKY FOSTER : Maybe left wing

IN FACT, OTHER THAN THE ODD GAME ON THE WING FOR MACKIE I CAN'T THINK OF ANYONE ELSE WHO IS CONTINUALLY PLAYED SOMEWHERE THEY SHOULDN'T BE. Dempsey : Foster : Not a left back : MacGuire : Why wide ?

Byrne : Why ?

I'd agree but how many times has JC taken responsibility for this? Don't get me wrong JC has taken us forward but if the players are constantly being publicly bemoaned by the manager then when does the buck pass back to that manager?

1. CHRIS CLARK

2. RICKY FOSTER

IN FACT, OTHER THAN THE ODD GAME ON THE WING FOR MACKIE I CAN'T THINK OF ANYONE ELSE WHO IS CONTINUALLY PLAYED SOMEWHERE THEY SHOULDN'T BE.

You forgot brewster aand touzani on that list

his position should be " on the bench" but he keep s playing him "up front"

stangely touzani is the opposite

he keeps him "on the bench" when he should be "on the pitch"

1. CHRIS CLARK

2. RICKY FOSTER

Chris Clark has been doing fine in the middle of the park. His all-round game is better suited to that position, but despite however well he played on Saturday, Mark Kerr pulled the strings for Utd and showed exactly why we are missing that type of player. Clark is a good "give it and go" player, similar to Severin, but neither have the vision to always be looking for the killer pass - someone to do this alongside one of them (or both of them in a 5-man midfield - Jamie Smith anyone?) would be the answer in my opinion.

Foster similarly so does not create much but has good attributes for conversion to full-back where he has performed reasonably well for us this season - certainly better than Byrne or Dan Smith.

• Site Sponsor

1. CHRIS CLARK

2. RICKY FOSTER

Clark should be played on the right wing, or dropped. An automatic pick by JC which is why many question his judgement. Incidentally, spoke with one of the guys who chose the sponsors man of the match on Saturday, which Clark got. They wanted to choose Angus the Bull but were told to pick a player, so Clark got it by default.

Foster has only really played any decent stuff at left back, but is found out by a pacy winger.

• Site Sponsor
Still go back to my earlier post

would be good to see peoples genuine hopes for the start of the season and see whta has been acheived. Surely if he meets your hopes then he is doing ok

(Definition of genuine- what you head said we would acheive not your heart Definition of start of season - before hearts and rangers imploded and mowbray left hibs)

mine was double figure wins at home and more wins than draws or losses away - not quite acheived but should do by the end of the season that so a positive season for me

Still have a right to feel angry about games thrown away through poor tactics (or trying to be clever!)

My aspirations were third and a minimum of Qf in both cups, with actually enjoying my time at the game instead of watching stupid punts up the park at kick off and every one back for a corner.

Indeed it was, my Tele-toting chum.

I just found out recently from Eddie Turnbull's book, that the Dons could have asked for the game that afternoon to have been cancelled, but played on not wanting to upset routine. We lost to Dunfermline (or Dundee United if you suffer from the same DAFC/JUFC confusion as RTYD).

What if? etc :angry11:

:laughing:

Did King Joey no go through a very lean goalscoring spell in the second half of that season as well?

1. CHRIS CLARK

2. RICKY FOSTER

Certainly not in the positions playesd on Saturday anyway.

Guest CAPSLOCK
My aspirations were third and a minimum of Qf in both cups, with actually enjoying my time at the game instead of watching stupid punts up the park at kick off and every one back for a corner.

BIT OF A TALL ASK DON'T YOU THINK CONSIDERING WHERE WE'VE CAME FROM?

THE HUNS WOULD PROBABLY BE HAPPY WITH THAT.

• Site Sponsor

No they wouldn't.

Tall ask? Dinna think so. I think this all comes down to levels of ambition.

To be fair 3rd is a realistic AIM. Hearts were always going to implode and we had to be looking to take advantage of that. Hibs had just lost Riordan, O'Connor, Caldwell and had contract wrangles with Brown and Fletcher going on and most importantly had just lost their manager.

2 quarters is not much to ask at all. Seeded to the quarter finals in league cup, therefore avoiding anyone in top 8 in league last season, so getting through just 2 rounds shouldn't be much to ask.

Scottish Cup you need luck of the draw but again 2 matches is little to ask unless you draw a premier team away from home!!