The Golf Thread

• 5 weeks later...

Agree with JR and his swing in the latter stages of the tourny, I think he will learn from this and look back and realise if he was a bit more free with this swing, he could have won the tourny last week....I still think JR will go close at the Masters, he's putting well enough imho..

Tiger on fire. What a great couple of weeks he's had putting like God again.

Arnold Palmer is a breath of fresh air. What a wonderful man. When asked about the secret for his enthusiasm, he said the people and he meant it.

Justin Rose who came second also does some wonderful charitable work, ably assisted by his wife Kate.

Great to see altruism rather than self-obsessed greed driving some of the best sportsmen.

Pity Justin's putts were always just out. He looked too mechanical in his swing when leading the event and hit some shocking wides.

Today, a couple of kids openly sneered at another who's crime was to be using a putting aid on the practise putting green before this afternoon's third round of last 64. Beauty is, the sneerers are both out and the sneeree tees it up tomorrow in day 4.

Sneeree in the Quarter finals now. :applause:

:wave:

Excellent completion. Sadly I never got past the third round in three years. First round. Third round. First round.

• 1 month later...

Keeping it civil between us (for a change, cow), question for you... If Mike Weir was the best bunker player for a 5 year period - average proximity 5.9 feet - and not in the top 80 in the sand saves table for the same period, what can we learn from this?

His putting is shite.

Now then... when you say "his putting is shite", do you understand what you're saying?

The fact that you entered events that you had no chance of winning is irrelevant here. The fact that your handicap was low enough to enter these events is irrelevant too. I spent the last three days in excellent company, two of the guys having won on the European Tour and one having played in the Ryder Cup, another having played in a number of Walker Cups and these guys can tell in one golf swing who is a possible and who is a no-hoper, like you were. The derisory comment that cracked me up was "see ya in a hundred years".

It is fact that one golfer can be expert in holing out, and pish from medium and long range and yet another golfer making the same number of GIR's and Putts per Round will show radically different putting performance, missing 2.5 times per Rd from 6 feet and under and yet being average from medium and long range.

You are on the right track. Weir was undoubtedly the best bunker player for the five year period over which the analysis was conducted but his putting wasn't nearly good enough for the same period.

Where it gets really clever though, is using stats to identify the PRECISE trends, strengths and weaknesses within the game. We can see CONFIDENCE in black and white and colour, particularly within Driving Results and Putting data.

A "shite putter" is ignorant comment. Knowing precisely where within his putting data he or she is weak e.g. Holing Out, distance control, missed putts analysis (right or left or short), medium range, long range etc. is key. Here's something you didn't know. Luke Donald holed only 8 putts outside 25 feet in 2011. You know why? Cos he wasn't trying to. He had an amazing 25 Rds without a 3 putt. The little man was trying not to 3 putt from 30 and 40 feet. That's why he will never win a major. Long putts never go in by accident, only by design. Ok, you'll get a couple or maybe three in a season that go in by accident but the best putters in the world have the best attitudes towards the process of putting.

I even predicted when Luke's amazing sequence of 3 putts would end. I put it in writing on tinternet before it happened. The Dunhill Links includes Kingsbarns and the Old. It's easy enough to avoid 3 putts at Carnoustie. He had an awkward lie and did well to find the front of the 7th green, his 16th. First putt came up 8 feet short and then he pushed it for his first 3 putt is 24 point something rounds.

Golf is a game that is natural for statistical analysis. It's just never been done properly before.

Lol, wot?

You're making out that you do something unbelievable, something that the average guy just couldn't understand. In truth it's unbelievably easy to understand.

Perhaps I've got Mike Weir syndrome as I'm really poor from 2-6 feet, yet excellent from longer range. I'm far better on Glass quick greens, prefer putting downhill, If the put I prefer it to right to left. My putting is good although it can get worse in the last few holes when I become mentally tired.

I had to laugh at your Luke Donald 3 putting call. Kingsbarns has some of the most ridiculous greens on tour. It slightly spoils an excellent course.

Your last sentence is fair.

• Downvote 1

You have be asked on several occasions to elaborate about your product, and every time you simply resort to high blood pressure driven anger.

From the sound bites from you and the pish out of date website, it appears you analyse all data. Recording stats on everything ( Swing speed, misses, distances, angle of attack, lie, putter face etc) provide statistics and publish them so the golfer and their coach can work on weaknesses.

Might be best if you reply, outlining what you actually do then. Rather than instigating unnecessary conflict.

• Downvote 1

Rocket, you're being a bit of a cock here to be honest. A free plug for your business, and you're acting like a smug know it all arse.

Par for the course Fatshaft. Although RS wouldn't know about regularly posting sub-par figures. So shite at the game he's forced to find another way to make himself noticed. Behaviour, we're all very used to on this forum.

Harsh fats. Very harsh. No surprise there.

In the posts that were deleted - continuing the same old pattern - it was perfectly clear who was first to pick a fight.

Come clean. You deleted the posts because you were a drunken mess.

I offered genuine interest, and was met by a barrage of personal abuse.

I'm sure these posts can be easily restored in the correct running order, and I encourage a moderator to do this.

To come out with the quote "Not that I give a F*** but don't misrepresent the truth".

A new low for Rocket? AFC-CHATS Number#1 Fail merchant.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I'm sure these posts can be easily restored in the correct running order, and I encourage a moderator to do this.

I imagine that we could restore the posts but we would need to discuss it first but both of you would need to ok them being returned first.

Keeping it civil between us (for a change, cow), question for you...

That's better, perhaps Rocket is changing? Perhaps I will ask him about his business, as it interests me.

What an unfortunate tone to adopt.

Who gives a fuck about your ignorant comments about your own game, a game that is of no interest to anyone on the planet,

Pity. Alas I move on.

In the posts that were deleted - continuing the same old pattern - it was perfectly clear who was first to pick a fight.

The irony of this is staggering: -

Not that I give a fuck but don't misrepresent the truth. I never instigate but I can finish it.

So he's sticking to his story with a fresh sprinking of perma rage.

Then I ask for these posts to me available for all to see. Let's see who represents the truth.

Pathetic. Of course I was "rude" to him. I fucking hate the cunt. As 75% of my kids are female, I tend to despise people who are open about their hatred of women and who advertise their MC pigness. You're a fucking sad act too fats, hating your wife as much as you do, the truth being you hate yourself for picking such a wrong un.

Get a life you sad acts. That cow cunt has never posted anything other than shite and vitriol and craves internet conflict. His head is in a deep dark place like one or two others on here.

...and we're into full blown breakdown territory!

You hate someone on the internet. You are nearly a pensioner, yet you're both the school bully and the child stamping around in a puddle. Quick to be critical or basically anything anyone brings to the table, but quick to reach for the tissues when the roles are reversed.

Anyone let's not give him the attention he craves. It's a cracking night for Golf I'm sure many of you were out for a game? I was on Gullane beach and they're getting the grandstands out for the open, the 18th green stand is already out.

I've got a good feeling about Sergio at gullane this year, he's won there before and if he gets the best weather he's in with a big chance.

my colleague was at the world corporate golf challenge just then, at loch Lomond. his team captain was going to be tony jacklin or ronan rafferty!!

One of my best mates is irish Amateur Champion 2013 having won the three man play off this evening.

Last June, the four of us went out for dinner in Dublin and I did something I've not done before or since. I ordered champagne in a restaurant/brasserie before we ordered the starters. Niamh, Robbie's other half, asked what the occasion was and I didn't have any answer. I reckon I was anticipating today back then, even though none of us knew it at the time, most of all, not me.

Blackberrys are shit by the way. As my phone was down to 20% battery with still some calls to make, i was forced to use my daughters in a restaurant in Glasgow this evening to "watch" the play off shot by shot online. She's getting an iPhone in August when her contract runs out. More expense for me but worth it this time. I wouldn't wish a blackberry on anyone, just a horrible bit of kit.

Was at Lanark all day watching the Scottish Youths. Some finish from the winner, 4 birdies in 5 holes from the 12th. Brutal conditions, soaking wet and windy.

Graham is about half your age gramps. Is he your new best friend?

• Downvote 3

ok...most of the top players seem to be cuntish...as if the world is due them a break....just my opinion. I just think Casey is always trying to be one of the boys, not sure, just that stupid grin and always seems like giving an interview is a problem, I love Mickleson, Bubba and a lot of the yanks seem to be pretty respectful of their surroundings, Snedeker being 1 who just seems to ooze class both on and off the course.

Maybe its the wannabe's that are the cunts...especiually those low handicap players at the local club?

I dont think he really rates himself, boy doing well fae Aberdeen....I shouldnt be here type mentality?

I think if he worked on his course management and started to really believe in his ability, he would have went a lot further in the game than he has. though he won a major, maybe his age is giving him a realisation of how lucky he is, golf dosent seem to be his no1 priority...which I suppose is a good thing