The Golf Thread

at the moment it will only be full members allowed to use short game facility full membership is 300 quid

paul

Really wish you could open up the short game area at your centre to any punter, not just members. Was the same when it was Aspire/Nevada Bobs. There are plenty driving ranges in and around town but zero short game facilties. Even local golf clubs are poor in that regard.

I realise that members have to come first, has to be that way but even for an hour a day, on a bookable basis, be great if you could free up the short game area for Joe Public to just practice short game on grass, not artificial stuff.

Think about it, maybe?

300 a year is a snip to have full access....

Aye but I already pay more than that for my own club membership plus £100 a month for a family membership at Kippie Lodge - which although has a decent course and driving range, has poor short game area.

I'm at the stage where I'm happy enough with my long and iron game, but if I can sharpen up my short game then I can get back to category one I'm sure of it. Can't be arsed bashing balls on a driving range but specific short game practice would be great for me.

You're at Alford are you nae? There's a good stretch of turf there that you can use. You don't need to pitch to greens. Pitch to buckets or targets and if you do that even for an hour a week, you'll soon see improvement.

True. But it's great, or would be great, to be able to practice pitch and putt on the real mccoy; be able to work on spinning the ball correctly, work on how the ball reacts differently on the green when using the multitude of wedges that we all have thesedays, so that when it comes to game time, it's 2nd nature.

Looks like Paul is thinking about it, I'm going to keep at it. :laughing:

Aye but I already pay more than that for my own club membership plus £100 a month for a family membership at Kippie Lodge - which although has a decent course and driving range, has poor short game area.

I'm at the stage where I'm happy enough with my long and iron game, but if I can sharpen up my short game then I can get back to category one I'm sure of it. Can't be arsed bashing balls on a driving range but specific short game practice would be great for me.

TBH, you could go to any public course for an hour at night and practice yer short game without much hassle

But you're playing a sport you love Rocket... play them, beat the course and turn it into courses you love to beat.

I played Kemnay the other week. It beat me but I'll be back to beat it one day soon.

Anyone here recommend the best place for lessons?

i would recommend Andrew Locke at PLGC been with him for about 2 years now and noticed a massive improvement in my game

a couple of my mates goes to billy fyfe at PLGC as well but its all just personal preference

Intelligent attitude. You're right. But I'm sorry, if I miss from a foot and a half, i need to be sure that it was me who missed. These fucking mickey mouse greens that dive left or right from less than 2 feet and then you do it again and it doesn't, that's not golf.

We played Craibstone this morning. I got hit by a bastard. 4 down after 4 and got beat 4 & 2. Mate was round in 67. He was as shit as me when we played 9 holes together a couple of months back, down in Stirlingshire, the first golf we had done together for a decade. We've both kicked on as the season warms up but his up and downs today were incredible, just like when we were teenagers at the Heid. Pleasure to watch. A Golden fucking Goose too. Fuck your modern technology.

My old man still putts with a Golden Goose - and he putts left handed (he swings right handed). Surprisingly putting is the only good part of his game.

wherever you play, simple fact is, you have to get the ba in the hole with the least shots possible, theres days when ive kicked myself for shooting a 76, but praise myself with an 82....facts are, id take the 76 every day of the week, sometimes we dont give ourselves the credit deserved when shooting a good score, but would commit suicide with a shite score.

anyway, ive no golf planned in the next few weeks, I just dont play enough, however when I step on that tee, its a wee buzz, not only to fight yer swing, but the elements and whoeevr your up against.

In fact, I'll start:

Golf holes you can get on the green from the tee with a putter list:

1) Frog Hole at Auchmill (used to be the 6th hole when it was a 9-holer)

2) 16th on Hazelheid No 2 course

3)

4)

5)

6)

Feel free to add others, let's see if we can get 18. Could do eighteen holes with one club!

In fact, I'll start:

Golf holes you can get on the green from the tee with a putter list:

3)

4)

5)

6)

Feel free to add others, let's see if we can get 18. Could do eighteen holes with one club!

Yon par 3 at Inverurie, 99 yards.

In fact, I'll start: Golf holes you can get on the green from the tee with a putter

3) 7th at Cullen. Putt all the way down the path.

3) 7th at Cullen. Putt all the way down the path.
4) 7th at Dufftown

5) 2nd at Westhill

Come on Hat golfers, 13 more to go. Once we've got 18 I'll have to put the in some sort of order that would be convenient to drive round and then start thinking about playing them all.

I,d say its an easier make than your Cullen 7th, thats some pathy

Fair point.

On that note how far can anyone actually hit a ball with a putter?

Flat ground or fairways have to be the surface. I reckon a football pitch length tops would be accurate. Anyone fancy taking a putter to a driving range and seeing how they get on?