The Golf Thread

I dont think he really rates himself, boy doing well fae Aberdeen....I shouldnt be here type mentality?

I think if he worked on his course management and started to really believe in his ability, he would have went a lot further in the game than he has. though he won a major, maybe his age is giving him a realisation of how lucky he is, golf dosent seem to be his no1 priority...which I suppose is a good thing

Open Champion, Ryder Cup winner, numerous other tournament victories, ranked inside the Top 50. An impressive CV.

Not over yet either.

Respect to the local boy done good.

Aye, think he was on about you Paul.

I think there are plenty tournaments that he'll be in contention for to come, can't say that his record is a closed book - was playing Ryder Cup last year FFS.

There are worse courses out there than Westhill. Building a load of holes traversing a slope laterally a la Westhill and Stonehaven isn't great though. You can smack a drive 280 yards down the middle of the fairway and get punished for it - that shouldn't happen on a golf course. The members of both those clubs seem to love them though, so each to their own.

I wish I could play twice a week - or more. One thing that'll be good about being an old cunt - golf every day.

So because I don't shout my mouth off how good I am I don't believe in myself....... Clueless

I need to work on my course management .........laughable

My family are more important than my golf and rightly so ..... But my desire has never gone

And yes I know how lucky I am to do what I do and have always known that which is why we try to give back as much as we can

Paul

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Open Champion, Ryder Cup winner, numerous other tournament victories, ranked inside the Top 50. An impressive CV.

Not over yet either.

Respect to the local boy done good.

Theres no mailce in my reply, In my opinion I really think PL could have been one of the all time scottish greats, will he be mentioned in the same sentence as monty, lyle, torrance, gallacher?, im not sure.... Ive read his book and by reading his own story, I felt he didnt really see himself in that calibe, thats a small % of what I took from reading his book, I follow his career and support him when he's playing, always will., I dont know the man personally but I was asked by RS what I thought.

Diamondsr4ever thanks for your email but no problem as everyone entitled to their opinion

I would like to give my opinion on stuff freely like you guys all can but I can't as someone might read it and print it

But I honestly try my best every week to make people of Aberdeen proud of me but some times my attitude and behaviour is not the best which I know hurts me but I am how I am I guess

Played castle Stuart today greens awesome condition and rolling pretty fast were staying at culloden house tonight and playing CS again tomorrow with Craig (loon) caddie (Davy) and foundation manager Michael mcdougall with a few pints tonight

Paul

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Mate, that's a good point. You can't be as brutal as us lot cos you might have journalists looking in.

You've been doing the people of Aberdeen and shire proud for a third decade. Don't worry about it.

Mark Parsinen showed me round CS before it opened. I've been up there a couple of times since. It's awesome. Great to hear greens are excellent.

When you go from the 12th green to the 13th tee, you'll see railways sleepers, the only ones on the course. This is because Mark and Gil borrowed a technique from Frank Lloyd Wright - the USA's most eminent architect - called "compress and release". It's the longest walk between green and tee on the course. When you turn the corner to see the big bunker/sand waste area and the view in front of you, it's mind-blowingly good. The infinity edge greens are also hugely intelligent design features, deliberately engineered by some very clever men.

had the pleasure to play CS twice, and the pleasure to block it right at the 13th on both occasions, I just love the course, the staff are superb, relaxed atmosphere and excellent service all round. hard to pick my favourite hole..if I had to chosse one, probably the 2nd or 18th.

The first time I played it I thought it might turn in to my favourite course on the planet. Now, much as it is one of my favourites, I actually prefer Kingsbarns which is definitely one of my top 10, the only new build (2000) in my all-time top courses.

Fav hole at CS is the 14th. Love 11 too. Fav course on the planet is Royal Lytham & St Annes. Not everybody's cup of tea but every hole there is just an excellent golf hole. Like Carnoustie which had been my all time fav course for over 25 years, there's not one hole less than superb of all eighteen.

Trump International not in my top fifty, of courses in the North East.

in any discussion about my fav course, its kingsbarn, played it once and it was a warm calm day in septemeber and it was beautiful and breathtaking...sublime and would return in a heartbeat if u ever need a caddie :-)....loved it.....havent played trump, no desire unless invited. I found Carnoustie tough as hell....though i struggled off the tee at the time...would go back to try and get a different opinion now I hit it 30-40yds further and straighter.....I also really like Panmure.

I play Barry a lot. My mate who I took on to my course yesterday is a member. Great track and I love it but not quite premier division in my opinion. Possibly playing Moray Old and New at end of month. That is premier league as is the New course at St A which I'm playing tomorrow, best greens in Scotland right now. Playing one of my top 10 on Sunday too and Royal Abz in a couple of weeks, which isn't in my top 3 in the North East. Love a new golf season. Making up for last year when I played the least ever.

Home course as a junior, still a country member. Cant beat Moray old on a sunny and calm day. I have yet to play a better finishing hole than the 18th on the Old.

I play Barry a lot. My mate who I took on to my course yesterday is a member. Great track and I love it but not quite premier division in my opinion. Possibly playing Moray Old and New at end of month. That is premier league as is the New course at St A which I'm playing tomorrow, best greens in Scotland right now. Playing one of my top 10 on Sunday too and Royal Abz in a couple of weeks, which isn't in my top 3 in the North East. Love a new golf season. Making up for last year when I played the least ever.

RS...do you know Jack Robertson?

just thought you may know him with doing the rounds, though ive nae idea what u do!

played the broch about 15 yrs ago, havent been since...probably as good as it gets for links golf up there? from what I can remember, hazelhead 1 is great when its nae like jordans fanny....both newmachar courses are good, but i have to admit to detesting a lot of parkland courses...probably because of the fukkin trees

Loved the holes down the bottom of CS but wasn't a fan of the 14th onwards, just reminded me of St Andrews Bay, poor finish considering what went before it.

Western Gailes and Machrihanish are my favourite tracks in Scotland. Inland, its a toss up between Blairgowrie Rosemount and Spey Valley.

Opinions. We all have them.

I was referring to the finish as CS I thought it was a bit of a let down from what went before. The St Andrews bay resort is pretty average, its a cliff top course, nothing to get excited over in my opinion.

Don't agree Torrance is superb. The other course isn't very good though ( Kittocks) the castle course isn't very good and neither is the Old, New.

I like playing the Dukes off the Blacks tee's . Break 75 and you've played brilliantly. CSS is about 80.

Another 5 three putts tonight for a net 68, had a nett 66 last week with 5 three putts also.

Im the Lee westwood of amateur golf, tee to green playing beautifully . As soon as I get around the green I shit it. Get me on the smooth Greens of Moray Old though and I hole everything, very frustrating.

Torrance 15th - superb par 3, the best there

Torrance 16th - superb par 4 and tough

Torrance 17th - best par 4 at the Bay - Torrance's finest

Torrance 18th - reachable par 5 but great shot required

I know they've mixed the finishing holes up a lot the last few years but it was changed back to this last year when I last played.

I think your missing the point. I believe (only my opinion of course) that the change in style of the closing holes at CS is a rather disappointing anti-climax from what went before. I will need to play it again (hopefully in August when I'm up playing Nairn, Nairn Dunbar, Fortrose and Dornoch) to see if it grows on me at all.

Golf courses tick boxes differently for everyone. I would still rather play Western Gailes than Turnberry, probably in the minority there but the layout, quality, holes, ambience etc grab me at Western.